Gamache Goes Abroad – A Fatal Grace

In this installment of “Gamache Goes Abroad”, we find our dear Inspector in Sweden, where our Scandavian publishing colleagues decided to call the book “Nådastöt”, which translates to “Death Blow”.

One of the first things we noticed is the similarity in color palette between the two covers. Even before reading the plot description, it’s clear that this is a book that takes place in the cold Quebec winter.

As for differences between the two covers, the US edition focuses on a landscape image (and major plot setting), whereas the Swedish edition depicts a snowy owl, which is said to symbolize sacrifice, family, clarity, and legacy — attributes which surely apply to the Three Pines canon.

If the two books were side-by-side, which would you be more likely to pick up?

Beyond a frozen lake or a snowy owl, what other images represent winter in Three Pines to you?

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – A Fatal Grace

1. Maryann says:

Love the whole series, have been enchanted since day one. have a few to catch up with, but my pick is the US version…

2. Juanita Giesbrecht says:

I love owls but would choose the U.S. cover and title. I grew up relating owls to Brownies and nature and cannot see them at all representative of a “death blow.” Besides that, the U.S. cover speaks to me of a snow – covered winter night – perhaps of grace, if you will, with the term “fatal” to remind us we are embarking on a reading journey that contains a murder.

3. Lucie Easley says:

This is a hard one for me to choose but probably the owl and different title would have grabbed my attention first.

4. Marsha says:

Paint colors are on a palette; not a palate!
    From A grammar stickler and Louise Penny /Gamache lover.

5. Patricia Stoj says:

Landscape is more appealing to me. The owl doesn’t give me the imagery that would sell the story.

6. Sylvia says:

The U.S. version looks more wintery to me so that’s the one I would go with.

7. D Bordsen says:

I would buy whichever said ‘By Louise Penny.’ The book jacket could be a plain brown wrapper for all I care.

8. Diane says:

I like the U.S. cover but love the Swedish title, “Death Blow”.

9. Really like them both, maybe mix it up!
    Just get them out to us readers, I can’t wait to read.

10. Claire Ryce says:

I would also go for the snowy owl, it really made quite an impact on me!!

11. Pat Evans says:

The snowy owl doesn’t speak to me as much. I didn’t understand the reference, tho I like owls.
    Guess I would have chosen the US cover. But, what I know is…..if it is a book that I want to read I am not so concerned with cover. But author has to be, so 5his is an informat8ve query.

12. Cedar says:

The English title means more (to me) – until I read Ingela’s comment, which clarifies the idiom. And I also love owls. I didn’t know the Swedish symbolism. I think of “I Heard the Owl Call My Name” and that symbolism makes sense to me.

13. Both attractive covers, but the owl just doesn’t seem to go with the book. I also prefer no close-up faces on covers…animals or people.

14. Dorothy J. Lancaster says:

I would definitely choose the US one – it gave me the real “feel” for this novel – and, by the way – I am ANXIOUSLY AWAITING NEWS of a new novel – I’ve avidly read all of the others and need MORE!! Wonderful series, for anyone unaware of the fact, and I’ve recommended them to all of my friends, including TWO that are Canadian – and I’ve asked them what a couple of words meant AND even tried making some of the food they were eating – I’ve NEVER had BRIE with eggs before but now ….

15. nanci says:

I vote for the owl but with the english title.. but that’s not an option is it?