“They opened the brown paper bag and ate their tartelettes au citron in front of The Gates of Hell. Stephen talked about the remarkable work while brushing powdery icing sugar off Armand’s sweater.”
Tartelettes au Citron
Makes one 26 cm (10 ½ in.) tart or 4 8 cm (3 in.) diameter tarts
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
- 250 mL (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 90 mL (6 tbsp.) salted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 30 to 45 mL (2 to 3 tablespoons) water
- 4 egg yolks
- 160 mL (2/3 cup) sugar
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 240ml (1 cup) milk
- 180ml (3/4 cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- Grated zest of two lemons
Preparation of the dough
1) Combine the flour, sugar, salt, butter and egg in the bowl of a food processor.
2) Pulse until the texture is powdery.
3) Add water until a ball of dough forms, neither grainy nor sticky.
4) Remove dough from bowl and wrap in plastic wrap.
5) Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
6) Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
7) Butter and flour a pie pan
8) Roll out the dough and place it in the pan. Remove excess dough.
9) Cover the dough with aluminum foil and cover with peas to prevent the dough from puffing up during baking.
10) Bake for 20 minutes until almost done.
11) Remove peas and aluminum foil. Set aside.
To prepare the lemon filling
1) Gather all lemon filling ingredients in a bowl.
2) Using a whisk, blend for one minute.
3) Then over a saucepan of simmering water (double boiler), cook, whisking constantly, until the cream begins to thicken.
4) Pour this mixture into the bottom of the pre-baked pie and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cream is set.
5) Remove to a rack to cool.
6) Serve at room temperature.