Discussion on “A Return to Three Pines: The Beautiful Mystery

1. Kathleen Hammontree says:

In my mind, the abby was darker/gloomier. I’m glad to see this picture to help me rethink it. This book made it tough to see Jean Guy in such a struggle. I had to go online to listen to recordings of chants after reading it.

2. Margot says:

I agree with Carol. I love to immerse myself in the world that Louise Penny has created. Each time I re-read the books I feel drawn closer to the people who inhabit them and feel a greater love for them. I enjoy the audiobooks and have them all in my library but there is something very special about reading a real print book. The feel of the paper and the intimacy that books give me with the amazing people that Louise Penny has brought to life is one of my greatest joys. I can’t wait to get the newest book in September.

3. I read first then wait a bit and listen to the audiobook on my daily walks when I can pay close attention. Both forms have something to offer especially the fun of having someone tell me a story! I loved Robert Colsham most because he gave the characters such life and was the first, but I also have enjoyed Mr Bathurst’s interpretations. “The Beautiful Mystery” is a favorite due to it’s setting and the wonderful and realistic description of Jean Guy’s addiction and Gamache’s tough love for him. It’s the layers each character brings to the stories that make them so wonderful and worth revisiting both the print and audio versions.

4. Constance I Shiebler says:

I read – love the feel of a book, the soft turn of a page, and the sense of intimacy with the characters and the story. The history of formal musical structure was fascinating, and the story, of course, was brilliant. I was so upset and anxious when Jean Guy did not leave with Gamache – just beside myself with worry! Oh, Louise – how you stir our emotions!!

5. Pat Hilton-Suiter says:

I have listened to all of the Gamache books and thoroughly enjoyed listening to Ralph Cosham and Robert Bathurst. By listening, I can take the Three Pines family with me while walking my dog, gardening in the back, or even doing mundane chores. And while I am an avid reader as well, there is something about hearing a superb reader transporting me directly to Three Pines.

6. Millie says:

Beautiful mystery was my introduction to the Gamache series. I was hooked , I went back and read the previous books and have read them all but not in order. Louise writes so well that one can follow what has happened previous to any given story line and know what occurred. I wanted to know what happened to Jean – Guy and have been a faithful followers ever since. I’m looking forward to the return to Three Pines.

7. Pat Groff says:

I’ve only listened to the books. Bathurst read the first one too fast—slow it down and it’s perfect! The 3rd book he’s done was amazing. He’s acquired perfect voices for each of the characters. I dread coming to the end of the series—will have to read, I suppose!

8. Tracey Rome says:

I love to listen and to read the books. Both narrators are wonderful! I work at a catholic school with a convent on site and I often eat lunch with the sisters and discuss the latest Gamache novel. Thank you for your books!

9. Ruth says:

The hallway featured in this photograph looks suspiciously like the one in the abbey near Austin, Quebec which I visited in June of 2016. The hall led to the chapel, but along the way were plaques and descriptions of the abbey’s long, and to me-interesting, history. The abbey sold wonderful cheeses and spiritual books among other things in their store that is open to the public.

10. Kim says:

I love audio books, and the French pronunciation is better with Audible rather than having Alexa read a Kindle book. On the other hand, if I’m reading an ebook, I can poke one of those French words and get a translation.

11. Pat Moran says:

Great article in latest”New Yorker” about plainchant. Fits SO well with “mystery”. . . I’m sending the book and the article to a music professor I know m

12. Dianne Adkisson says:

I always enjoy reading them, but don’t like audio books. For some reason, I don’t like being read to. I don’t concentrate on it as well as when I read for myself.

13. Sharon says:

Nothing like the feel of the book in the hands, sitting in a comfy chair with a cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate.

14. Ross Burns says:

What fun! The ultimate locked room mystery. Locked in an extremely remote monastery with only one door in and within a private garden with a hidden entrance behind another locked door. Love the change of pace – no technology, minimal scene of crime forensics.

Many years ago, when I drove a bookmobile, we had a retired dentist who always wanted murder mysteries with a minimum of sex and violence. Our go to for him was the prolific John Creasey (and his various pseudonyms). These are much, much better. Wish I could go back in time and give them to him.

15. Clarice Peninger says:

I, and everyone else here in the convent, began with The Beautiful Mystery, and then went back and began with Still Life, and went through the whole series. Now this is the way we recommend the series. Only today, one of the Sisters asked me when the new Louise Penny would be out? Then we all talked about how much we love these books ! Thank you so much, Louise !