Gamache Goes Abroad – The Beautiful Mystery

We find ourselves back in Sweden this week with the cover of The Beautiful Mystery. Of the many foreign covers we’ve explored so far, the Swedish edition is the closest we’ve seen to almost matching ours. In previous posts, we’ve talked about the use of light as a powerful symbol, but these two covers put that idea in the forefront.

In The Beautiful Mystery, Chief Inspector Gamache travels to the monastery of Saint-Gilbert-Entre-les-Loups, to investigate the death of a renowned choir director. Tucked into the wilderness, the monastery is a beacon of peace and reflection in the dark woods. The light shining through the trees on both jackets might also symbolize the illumination and discovery resulting from Gamache’s investigation.

Does the Agatha and Anthony Award callout on the top of the Swedish jacket bring a movie poster to mind? What actor would you pick to play Gamache?

For more information on the real place that inspired the monastery in The Beautiful Mystery, click here.

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – The Beautiful Mystery

1. Marsha Gifford says:

This was the first Gamache story I read… I was totally enthralled. I liked how it is bed on truth. I had read and follow Daniel Levitin so was impressed how it was brought into the story. I was hooked. This is still my favourite an I have read them all. Thank You Louise.

2. Robert Reinhardt says:

I’d pick the Canadian cover and I suggest Anthony Hopkins as Inspector Gamache. Love all the books

• Carole Carraro says:

Definitely not Anthony Hopkins…I see him, I see horror movies, definitely not Gamache. He could maybe play Arnot

3. Sylvia says:

I have to say that I like the Swedish one this time. It seems rather eerie with that burst of light that could trick the eye into seeing various things.

4. Linda An says:

I like both, although partial to the US/Canadian version. The shape of the tree branches in the Swedish version is somewhat demonic to me – but that is because I already know the story. Had I not already read this story 4 times, I would have no reason to question one or the other. They both work for me!

5. JANET says:

I love the oxymoronic title “Beautiful Mystery”! Contradictory terms that seem to lurk around every corner in this adventure. The Canadian cover is my favorite: light and dark playing off each other. The luminescence of the abbey juxtaposed with a descent into the dark abyss of hell. Divinely human! As for the actor, he must be a bit like Louise’s beloved Michael and a bit older than she (yes, Louise would make the perfect Reine Marie). My vote is for Harrison Ford. However, I always prefer my own imagination when reading of the Gamaches and their life together!! Can’t wait until September!!

6. Ann Zeigler says:

Loved this book!! So many metaphors and “the Light” is so meaningful. I do prefer the US cover but, the other is the closest I have seen so far. Possibly “the light” is a more common wording? Light can be so powerful in its meaning, lighting paths, leading us to help, to life, etc.
    Mysterious? Maybe. I hadn’t thought of that. Enjoying this sharing.

7. Jeann Cetera says:

I like the US/Canada cover because the light is misty, difuse and mysterious.
    Roger Allam of the TV series “Endeavour “ could be Gamache. He just looks right

8. Angela Williams says:

Beautiful Mystery was the first Three Pines I read, although I actually listened to the audio version. It truly was beautiful as it included some of the chants which in themselves to me always convey mystery. Needless to say, I immediately started to read/listen to them all. The then narrator, Ralph Cosham, had the most calming, kind voice and sadly I have tried listening to Robert Bathurst but he just isn’t Inspector Gamache to me. However, reading the books is just as pleasurable and I can’t wait for the latest edition. As for the cover, I prefer the US version.

9. Gail Newman says:

I prefer the US/Canada cover as well. The light on the Swedish cover seems too harsh and direct to me. As I recall, the light in the monastery came from windows set high in the walls, thus falling into the space as the light on the US/Canada cover falls through the trees.

My candidate to portray Armand in a film would be Brendan Coyle, who was Mr. Bates in Downton Abbey. He is the right age and has the physical presence I envision Armand to have.