Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE finds our dear Inspector in France so there’s no better place to kick off our “Gamache Goes Abroad” cover musings than en français!

And, wow, the current U.S. cover treatment of Still Life couldn’t be any different from how our French colleagues handled the look of the book. While we opted for a subtle nod to the title — the art genre that dates back to the Egyptians — the French took a more severe route, depicting a key plot point (no spoilers, please!). It’s noteworthy that both covers feature framed imagery which could symbolize a window, or, entryway, into the series.

What do you think?

Which cover do you gravitate towards?

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

1. Margaret Hubbard says:

Interesting to see the French cover but prefer the US version.

2. Esther Vinaric says:

I too like the American version better! Your books are about murder, yes, but that is not what we see right away. To me, the description of the village, people food etc are what makes them so enjoyable and exciting that I have retread the WHOLE series at least three times! Impatiently waiting for the new book!
    Thank you Louise.

3. Definitely the American version

4. American Version It is a elusive in a way while the French version is more stark.

5. Ginette Wilken says:

Je prefere la version americaine. I prefer the American version.

6. Mary Newcomb says:

The American version, si’l vous plais

7. Sue Oerter says:

American version – but I like the window symbolism on both. Still Life was not my favorite book in the series but its tone was good at giving me the suspense/respite/suspense/respite feeling I enjoy. It also set our characters and gave us Three Pines. So yes, when I reread the series, I do begin at this point, looking in on the lives of characters I have come to love. Someone asked why I reread the whole series and not just the last book? I have my reasons, I wonder why others do?

8. Sue Grinlinton says:

The French cover draws my eye.

9. Patricia Owens says:

U. S. version

10. I like the US version. Ultimately its the story inside, the great author, and my favorite characters that matter to me.

11. Carol says:

The French cover is much more direct and brutal with it’s hint to the story line. I much prefer the North American cover, it is subtle and adds to the mystery.

12. Karen I Ford says:

Really prefer the French cover. It is more intriguing, which is the story between the covers.

13. Claudia Weintraub says:

American version, for sure

14. Cathy Rieker (sounds like Riker, not Reeker, just saying) says:

The US version in my humble opinion gets it.

15. Pat Malcolm says:

The French versions seems to recall the old noir covers from the 1930s. I wonder what the point of the fence was about! I like it, and it does refer to the French title. I’d love to learn more about the practice of other countries renaming the books as opposed to simply translating them. What a fun podcast that would be!