Gamache Goes Abroad – A Rule Against Murder

In this week’s installment of “Gamache Goes Abroad”, we visit the German edition of A Rule Against Murder. Titled Lange Schatten, the German title directly translates to Long Shadows. It’s interesting to note that while the fourth book in Louise’s series takes place in the summer, the German edition clearly highlights the red maple leaves commonly associated with the fall.

In this book, Armand and Reine-Marie celebrate their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse (for more about the real place that inspired the manor, click here), and both the US and German covers reference this idyllic setting. While the German edition clearly shows a picturesque manor in the countryside, the US cover’s depiction of a set of cracked stone stairs might suggest a darker side of the estate.

Which title do you think best represents the story?

Why do you think the Germans chose to overlay fall-colored maple leaves when the book is set in the summer?

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – A Rule Against Murder

1. Juanita Giesbrecht says:

I don’t get the “Long Shadows” title in the German cover and much prefer the American cover and title. That said I am currently re -reading “The Murder Stone” which seems to be the same story with Manoir Bellechasse and yet a different cover. This copy is published by a U.K. publishing house but printed and bound in Canada so I have no clue where the cover design originates. That said, my copy with an old and big white coloured house with large pillars overlooking a swampy looking lake suggests somewhere in the American south. None of the three covers does it for me but I sure love the story!

2. Chellle says:

Interestingly as a Québécoise living in LondonUK, this book was called the Murder Stone.

3. Linda J Meadows says:

I think the US. cover is much more indicative of the tone of the book, but I would love to visit wherever that German picture was taken.

4. Maureen Miller says:

I appreciate the German cover, but wish it filled up the entire book like the other version. ☮️

5. Jilee Fischer says:

My first read , the title was The Murder Stone. I like the US cover as those steps do lead to something ominous. At La Bellechase there are stairs and stone steps but no statue. I highly recommend a visit to North Hatley and perhaps La Bellechasse, a Chateau et Relais 5 ⭐️ Inn. Lovely people lovely food. Great atmosphere.

6. Benita Greenfield says:

The American/Canadian cover better expresses the German title “ Long Shadows.”

7. PRussell says:

The German cover is attractive and may draw a new reader. Thanks to the person that explained the German covers all depict maple leaves and a reddish stripe. I think the American cover is true to the story. I prefer true over pretty. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to chat with other Three Pines fans.

8. Eileen Priddy says:

I’m drawn in and filled with curiosity by the American title with ‘Murder’ in it as well as the air of mystery and intrigue posed by the cracked, worn steps leading to…..?? where exactly?! Someplace dark you dare not go….

9. Marcia Babb says:

I prefer the US cover. The steps lead up and into darkness, just as I hope the story will take me into the mystery. I don’t want the cover to indicate location to draw me into the book. I want anticipation.

10. Mary says:

Again the U.S. cover. The German one looks like a travel book.

11. Dorothy S says:

I certainly feel that the US cover says “mystery”, the steps almost inviting you into the book.

12. Janie Hummel says:

I like the American version, as it gives a foreshadowing of what is to occur, and after all, it is a mystery.

13. Diana Hauser says:

I agree with many that the maple leaves are a symbol of Canadian identity (and beautiful, too). But the US cover is more in tune with the mystery and and suspense genre.

14. Jennifer says:

This time I like the Us/Canadian cover better. The mysterious stone steps just draw me in.

15. Jane Solomon says:

Just curious why books get re-named. “A Murder Stone” became “A Rule Against Murder” became “Long Shadows”? (German cover art is a nod to the Canadian Maple Leaf.) (And I as a southwestern US person have really enjoyed learning about northeastern Canada through this series.)