1. Julie says:

Oh – Anna – thanks for the info on the ice cream – I’ll go and take a look at both websites – that would be wonderful. Otherwise, I might just try my hand at making my own ice cream… I’ve done it before when I was young, but it was such a lot of work and certainly wasn’t cheaper than buying ice cream, hahaha. But since it WAS better than any other ice cream I’ve ever had, and I should be able to find lactose-free cream, or at least ultra-pasteurized (which cooks the lactose out of the cream), that will work… I know Vern misses ice cream, too, though he shouldn’t have it because of the sugar…

2. Millie says:

Hello all my much missed Bistro friends. Thanks to those that kept me in your thoughts. You have been in mine, I assure you. My right eye took longer to heal than expected thus the delay in getting glasses. But I can see up close again, and read and type and pop in to say hello. The first thing I read was Anna’s “Evangeline” story. It was a treat and I loved it. Now I’ve read all the comments from where I left off, but I should have made notes in order to comment here. :-)
    So I decided to just embrace you all for now. I wish all the moms, grandmothers, aunts, sisters and dear friend to someone special, a very Happy Mother’s Day.

• Barbara Johnson says:

How wonderful to hear from you, Millie. Hugs to you!

• Julie says:

Yippee – I’m so glad you are able to read and “talk” with us again, Millie! I’m lucky in that my glasses still work “sort of”, so I can still read while my eye heals and settles down. They won’t be able to give me new glasses for at least 6 weeks, though, as they say little changes will keep happening, and the vision SHOULD keep getting better and better in the right eye as my brain adjusts, I think, is what it is. Since they’re only doing the right eye, once all that adjustment is made, I’ll be doing that. So happy to have you back!

Not a lot of sightseeing on this trip to DC Julie. I will be house hunting and then leaving Peter behind to take over his new job while I fly back. I will only be there for a few days. I hope you find some lactose free ice cream. I wonder why it is so much harder to get over there?
    Hope everyone had a nice Mothers Day!
    Good to ‘see you’ Millie!! Glad you were finally able to read Evangeline. Just glad you were able to read actually.

4. Julie says:

I really don’t know why it would be harder to get here, Anna – it doesn’t make sense to me – something like 60% of adults are lactose intolerant in some way or another. But people seem to have gone to soy milk, or coconut milk, rice milk, etc., rather than lactose free animal milk, so it’s only very recently that you could get lactose free milk that was still a dairy product. All the plant-based milks may very well be better for you, but they all had a “funny” taste to me. I was talking to people last week who say that lactose free cow’s milk is too sweet, but I don’t notice any difference in the taste at all. Different palate’s… and no accounting for taste, hahahaha. Too bad you won’t get to do much sight-seeing. But you’ll be back later, right?

Yes we will be back in DC at the end of the year.
    I am glad all the blind can see here again. My own eyes are changing rapidly and my new glasses are no help. Sigh. Not cataracts yet though. Reading is so much a part of who we are that any change is difficult.

6. Julie says:

It is. When your eyes start changing faster than you can get used to a new prescription, it’s very hard. I was going through that, as well as the other problems. I’m hoping it settles down now, as my insurance only wants to pay for new glasses once every two years…

7. Julie says:

Who’s for lemonade? I love the description of it on the Nature of the Feast site – the recipe is basically what I do already, but it has my mouth watering for some Meyer Lemonade… yummmm.

Freezing here Julie so not craving lemonade as much as hot chocolate!

9. Julie says:

Oh, that’s not as good, is it, Anna? I’ll be thinking of you having your chocolate while I’m slavering away in the hot sun here…

Thanks Julie. I see it will be up to 87 degs in DC when I am there so I might need the lemonade.
    Did you all see Louise’s interview at the Book Fair? Toddle over to her Facebook page and have a look. She looks wonderful and I always love hearings her enthusiasm and joy. Just what I need. The good news is she says she will write the Gamache series until she dies! Here are my wishes for a long and and joyful life Louise.

11. Julie says:

I saw it, too, Anna, and had the same thought. How wonderful – now just make sure you live longer than me! I imagine she’s in for a few heavy years in the next few.. don’t know if she will be able to keep up the pace of one book per year, but I’ll wait. Gamache may have taught me patience!

12. Julie says:

Love the PAIN DORÉ recipe – would never have thought of doing muesli on it, and am not sure I’m going to go out and buy muesli just for that, hahaha. But it gives one ideas of crushed nuts, or other such “crusts” to add. And now, of course, I WANT some! Maybe for lunch today.

i everyone from DC. It is a bit wet here today but nice weather should return for our house hunting early in the week. Hope all are well. Very odd to think we will be living here although I won’t for a few more months. Even odder to leave husband behind! All well here so far. I hope everyone is ok.

14. Julie says:

Welcome to the US, Anna! I hope you don’t find us too crazy over here! Hope all goes well with house-hunting – I kind of envy you, as this seems like a very big adventure!