1. Barbara Johnson says:

The DNA kits have been received by Ancestry. At first they emailed that 2 had been checked in. Didn’t say which ones and I sent 3 at the same time. Finally the 3rd was checked in. I am still excitedly awaiting the results. I wonder how much they will differ. Sam’s (Hubby), Carol’s (my sister) and mine.

2. Julie says:

Barbara, wouldn’t yours and your sister’s be the same? There’s probably something I’m not understanding… but how exciting! Do they say how long it takes to analyze? I’d be on tenterhooks now…

• Barbara Johnson says:

I didn’t understand either. But it seems that sibs wouldn’t be the same just as we have different color hair and eyes the geographical areas we will show as being from will differ, maybe. It seems this is different from determining if two people are child and parent. It will take 6-8 weeks. It has given us something to laugh about and make silly jokes. It’s great being two older women together. We probably sound like we did when we were home alone watching TV as preteens and teens.

• Julie says:

I like that image of you two getting along like teenagers again… I kept on thinking about that DNA thing and probably came to that same conclusion – that even though you’ll have the same ancestry, some traits are passed down and are dominant in one and not in the other, so it will be with which ancestors contributed how much to each sister. It will be fascinating to compare them! 6 to 8 weeks seems like such a long time, but I know it will go by in the blink of an eye.

Happy Easter. I was a bit out of touch as I was in Perth for the weekend. We have Good Friday and Easter Monday as holidays so everybody travels. I hope everyone is well?
    I will be excited to hear your DNA results Barbara! Although I was reading an article about police agencies trying to access DNA results from Ancestry.com for criminal cases even though it’s not the same testing. Might be a story in that.
    Speaking of stories…more to come!

“Do you think she knew you worked for Whitmore when she took the job?”
    “Probably. She seemed to keep better track of me than I did of her and it would suit her perverse mind to take advantage of my life, to somehow mess it up.”
    “You think that is what she was doing? Taking revenge on you?”
    Marcus shook his head. “No, she was making money. Any negative effect on me was just happy sideline.”
    “What did she do to make money?”
    “She groomed Adam Rockwell, Brendan’s right hand man and head of scientific developments. He and Brendan worked closely and quite secretively on new pesticides that were more effective and less toxic, to boost crops in the developing world. One of the compounds they developed was very effective but toxic to humans, a nerve agent. Brendan ordered all of the compound and any records to be destroyed but Adam kept samples. He thought he could improve it, make it less toxic. When Marissa came along and worked her way into Adam’s trust he must have told her what he was doing. He was not a bad guy and I am sure he never intended for Marissa to use the situation to her own advantage. She took some of the samples Adam had hidden and found a buyer.”
    The agent had found its way into some very bad hands. Brendan Whitmore worked it out when he heard about the tragedy in Africa, recognizing the pattern of death from what had happened to their trial animals.
    “Marissa disappeared before the Army showed up and the factory had been cleansed. The Army were so thorough they established that a couple of the vacuum flasks used to hold certain types of chemicals was missing from the inventory but that was put down to an auditing issue. Brendan became profoundly depressed, worried that whoever had their hands on the NAX13 would manufacture more of it. Even when there was no evidence that they had, he continued to slump. He couldn’t get away from the fact that a compound from his factory had killed children. He loved children.”
    “But Whitmore never married or had kids of his own?”
    Collier shook his head again.
    “But you did, have a child I mean,” Fox clarified. “You and Marissa.”
    “My sister raised him. Timothy was a lovely boy, not like his mother at all.”
    “And she killed him?”

5. Julie says:

Phew! At least three new suspects! Hahaha – we’re going in the wrong direction, as I don’t think we’ve definitively cleared anyone yet. Yikes! As bugs bunny used to say “The plot sickens!”

Thanks Peg. Nice to see you posting. Hope all is well in Wiscosin as we await A Great Reckoning…the novel and not a judgement per se! Anybody been basting a turkey from the first recipe?
    Don’t worry Julie, the big reveal is almost upon us. Has to be as I topped 10000 words. Really it was going to be a short story…..

Timothy Kildare, née Collier, was listed as one of two aid workers who died in the NAX13 attack in Africa. Fox had not made the connection immediately and the Army had not figured it out at all. It was only after they had identified Evangeline as Marissa that the police tracked her marriage to Collier and the birth of their son. Timothy had ultimately been adopted by Marcus’s sister and her husband, Ralph Kildare. They were lucky the records had been computerized. In the old days the connection would have taken days, if not weeks to uncover.
    “Brendan and I discussed at length my fears for Timothy given the known terrorist activity in the region where he was working. When Brendan was convincing Adam that they needed to destroy the NAX13 he actually used Timothy as an example. What if such a chemical was used there, he said. Marissa overhead the discussion and, in her inevitable twisted style she must have got the idea to do exactly what we all feared. Brendan was devastated when he learned what had happened to Timothy,” Marcus admitted. “Almost as wretched as I was. We both felt responsible.”
    Neither Fox nor Collie had to point out that it was hardly their fault that a normal conversation could lead anyone to sell a nerve agent to terrorists. It took a twisted mind to do what Marissa had done and risk her son in the process.
    “She was a psychopath,” Marcus said, as if he had read their minds. “When Brendan worked out what had happened, he set a plan in motion to find Marissa and take revenge, for all of us. He gave the money to an old friend, he didn’t tell me who, to set up Nexus and had private detectives track down Marissa under her new name.”

Once they heard all that Marcus had to say, Fox told Collie to release the tour bus after lunch, apart from the six key suspects who were cooling their heels in the lounge room while a search was undertaken of their luggage. A constable had also taken samples of their fingerprints. Marcus was taken to a separate room to wait while Fox and Collie spoke with Frank Hamill. Faced with documentation showing his link to Nexus and the admission by Marcus that the charity was Whitmore’s baby, Hamill admitted he knew the man.
    “I have known Brendan since University. He called on me at times to help with his business but he soon outgrew the services of my small accounting firm.
    Fox peered at Hamill who looked like what he was, a bookish accountant. He was also a key figure in their murder investigation. Frank Hamill had registered Nexus in Switzerland.
    “Did you send Ms Purdue the prize letter?”
    “Nexus did. It is a real charity. Of course Evangeline hadn’t bought a ticket in one of our lotteries but she was happy to take the prize opportunity. When she registered with the tour they sent notification to Nexus, which was normal when the prize was claimed.”
    “Then you let everyone know it was time to take a holiday?”
    “Everyone Inspector? I don’t know what you mean. I booked the holiday for my wife and myself.”
    “You didn’t kill Evangeline by yourself.”
    “I didn’t kill anyone. I was with my wife the entire tour apart from bathroom breaks.”
    From what Fox and Collie discovered that was true, but Hamill had already admitted his involvement through Nexus and his association with Whitmore. While neither connection was illegal, conspiracy to commit murder certainly was.
    “If you didn’t kill Evangeline why did you have Nexus send her the trip as a prize?”
    “Brendan asked me to. When we set up the charity he said that there would be times when I would be given the names of people who deserved a holiday and I should send them a prize voucher. I received Evangeline’s name in an email from Brendan’s lawyer saying he had been asked to pass it to me.”

9. Julie says:

Oh, it’s getting good! 10,000 words – my goodness – maybe it should be a book!

I would need to rewrite it for that but perhaps the first in the Fox and Collie mysteries.
    Beautiful autumn weather here with cool nights followed by sunshine and a light breeze. How is spring for those in the north.
    New recipe next week. I am tempted to do a reread but I would never finish the writing! Is anyone else rereading? Was it you Cathryne? Any new thoughts or insights?
    In some respects it does feel as though the world is heading for a great reckoning.

11. Julie says:

Anna, how I would love a Fox and Collie series! I think for just dashing this off to amuse us, it’s a very good story all round! A nice big edit after you’ve finished the second of the Cove series would do it, I’m sure…

I am thinking of rereading, but just TNOTB, as I don’t really have time for more this summer – I need to reread Emma with an eye to leading a discussion in early August. Rereading brings out so much, though…

I am anxiously awaiting to see what the next recipe will be. I got Louise’s newsletter last night and am once again reminded of her amazing strength. I’ll miss her doing a full tour, but I certainly understand.

Our winter here has been cold and wet, but so far, the spring has been glorious. We’re experiencing our third sunny day in a row with temperatures around 70 degrees, which is my perfect temperature! It feels nice to go out without a jacket and feel the sun on my face for a bit before it becomes too hot and punishing! We actually found we had too much bedding last night for comfortable sleep, so I’ve taken off the big blanket – I’m sure it will come back before we change to summer sleeping arrangements, but for now, it’s nice to have a lighter covering!

I completely missed our crocuses this year, as it was always so dark and gloomy and wet, I didn’t feel like going out to look at them… they finish by early February, and then we move into the bluebell stage. Weeds seem to be choking them out, though, so they’re not as plentiful as before – too bad, I used to love seeing them. Even our forsythia has finished blooming already, and the hyacinths by the back door, though at least I got to see them whenever I got home from somewhere. I love their scent wafting in the door as you enter. We have the odd daffodil and tulip that will come up next, but they are dying away, too… fewer each year. Ah well – our dogwood trees have come back from a devastating prune a few years ago, so we could get close enough to the house to paint it. They’ve just started flowering again last year, and I’m hoping they’ll be lovely this year, too. Cherry blossoms of our neighbors are all done, but the apple blossoms are yet to come, and the many beautiful magnolia trees in our neighborhood should be blooming soon. I love the spring flowers. Our neighborhood is filled with rhododendrons, too, which are glorious to see! By summer, things calm down a bit and we are not so colorful in every garden, but the spring is beautiful here!

I think I would like to read TNOTB too. I will get to that as soon I am done.
    I love the description of the garden and the flowers Julie, thank you. I am lucky to live in an area that is very beautiful in autumn. I love all the colours at the moment and the different feel in the air. It was supposed to be sunny today but it isn’t, not cold though.
    Now what were Fox and Collie up to…..

• Julie says:

Spring and autumn are my favorite times of year. Spring with the new growth, the buds on the trees and the wonderful scents of mown grass and dark earth being turned over for planting – it really feels like a re-awakening. The autumn SHOULD therefore be a more gloomy time, as things are preparing to die off for the winter, but what I have found is that everything, before it dies, gives one last big burst of energy into making something beautiful. Whether it’s the glorious colors of the trees, or a late blooming, it seems wonderful to me. Plus the quality of the light that shifts in mid-August in this part of the world. That quality gets me every year, and the first day I see it is bitter-sweet. I know it’s a harbinger of the end of the year, yet it’s so beautiful on it’s own.

Now I see there’s a new installment! (I’m so glad we’re not getting this story in monthly installments of a magazine – I wouldn’t have the patience!

Fox and Collie took a break and went over what they knew. Brendan Whitmore had likely committed suicide with the same agent that had been used by terrorists to murder Timothy Collier and the others in the village in Africa. He would have seen it has poetic justice given his lab had produced the substance.
    “It also meant he had access to a sample of NAX13, a portion of which he used on himself and the remainder he saved for the woman who became Evangeline,” Fox concluded.
    “We still don’t know how it was administered or by whom. We can tie Hamill to Nexus and the ticket but nothing else.” Toni was frustrated.
    “He didn’t do it alone but he was involved,” Fox insisted. “Someone put the toxin in the water bottle in such a way that it didn’t take effect until she was on the bus.” He ran a hand through his hair. “I need to talk to Amelia Dinthorpe.”
    Amelia was both confused and fascinated as Robbie Fox outlined what they had discovered. Evangeline was murdered by a nerve toxin of all things. Replaying the events on the bus in her mind, Amelia was awfully glad she had stuck to cardiac massage and fore sworn mouth to mouth. It was the current thinking in resuscitation and it had saved her from exposure to the deadly agent. She felt the same sense of thrill and chill that struck her when a bullet had parted her hair in the Middle East.
    “It wasn’t any agent I was familiar with,” ventured Amelia.
    Fox slid across the paperwork the Army had provided which detailed the characteristics of NAX13 and waited while Amelia read through them. The former doctor sighed.
    “In one way it is good to know that she was beyond any saving. I can stop wondering what else I could have done.”
    “I am seeking your opinion as one with medical knowledge,” Fox told her. “How was Evangeline poisoned?”
    “Inhalation, ingestion or transdermally….skin contact. They are the traditional means of exposure.”
    “We found just a trace of NAX13 in Ms Purdue’s water bottle so we are going with ingestion. I just can’t work out why a toxin that acts almost instantaneously took so long to have an effect.”
    Amelia pondered the possibilities. She asked to see again the papers showing the chemical properties of the NAX13. While she was reading Collie arrived, having been dispatched by Fox to collect another article from the lab. It had already been swabbed and examined.
    “You were correct sir, the lab found a bare trace of NAX13 inside and we have a possible match on the fingerprint,” Toni informed her boss as she deposited a plastic evidence bag on the table. Inside was a smooth metallic flask, wider mouthed but similar in appearance to Evangeline’s water bottle.
    Amelia placed her hand out to examine the object. “May I?”
    Fox nodded. “It matched the description of the ones that went missing from a lab at Whetton Hills where the NAX13 was manufactured. We found in a rubbish skip behind the Carrisbrooke Hotel.”
    “That’s a special thermos used for storing samples in liquid nitrogen, like sperm for artificial insemination. They were keeping the toxin frozen for shipment,” Amelia mused. “Maybe they thought it was safer that way. The stuff is certainly deadly as a liquid or vapour. Mind you it melts at room temperature according to the specs you gave me so it seems a lot of bother.”
    Amelia turned the flask over and a curious look passed over her face.
    “I have an idea Inspector.”

Amelia outlined her thoughts on how the killer might have done the deed.
    “But they would need access to Evangeline’s room,” Amelia finished.
    “From what we know, Evangeline was in her room up until the moment she left it to go to the bus,” commented Toni Collie. “Certainly no-one saw her at breakfast that morning. One of the hotel porters met her at the room and escorted her down with her bags.”
    “So it was done the night before, while we were all at the buffet,” Amelia thought out loud.
    “Who left the dinner before Evangeline?” asked Collie.
    “We all left together after Sherry finished giving her usual evening speech outlining the next day’s events. Nice girl but she does like the sound of her own voice. I went in the lift up to my room with Evangeline, Therese, Freddie and Julian. We were all on the same floor.”
    Collie looked thoughtful. “Do you happen to remember who was next to Evangeline?”
    “Freddie and Julian. Therese was next to me across the hall. Why?”
    “I was just wondering if the rooms connected?”
    Amelia nodded. “Sure. It was one of those twin door arrangements so each party would have to undo one door from inside their own rooms. You would need a key to get into Evangeline’s room, well one of the credit card thingys they call keys. They don’t even have your room number on those cards so it’s easy to mix them up.”
    There was an easier way thought Collie. “Or you could just score an invite to Evangeline’s room. She was fairly friendly with the men by all accounts.”
    “You might look a bit odd turning up to an assignation with a thermos flask in tow,” Amelia pointed out.
    Fox tapped the table thoughtfully. “This story is one of many moving parts.”

For those still with me….the end doth approach!