1. Karen Moore says:

New thread: “found” this amazing author/series by randomly selecting the “book on CD” at the local library, to listen to while driving. Hearing the proper pronunciation of all the French has made reading all the other books even more enjoyable. The Movie? Well, who has EVER read a book, seen the film, and thought, well “thank goodness for the film version?” Now, I have been able to enjoy the Tolkien films, having never read the books, so, in some ways, I think it is one or the other…can’t have your cake, and eat it too!

I would LOVE to see some of the centerpiece described when the recipe postings start-surely there is a talented, avant-garde florist who will take on the challenge? Wasn’t there a book in one, and a sausage in another? I eagerly await the next book in the series, (here in America). I have spent a bit of time in the province of Quebec, in fact, I am MeMe, to my grand daughter. (Accents missing, can’t get the hang of that). The author is clearly a strong, lovely woman (ren Marie?) quietly writing, gently spending quality time with her husband, and sharing that journey as well. Remarkable!
    My burning Question? Who lives in Jane’s house, and is it preserved with all her drawings? (Hideous wallpaper removed?)

2. Peg H. in Wisconsin says:

Welcome, Karen! I have also wondered about Jane’s house and artwork.

I listened to The Beautiful Mystery read on the radio (Wisconsin Public’s Radio’s Chapter A Day program) for my intro to Louise Penny. That had proper French also.

3. Julie says:

Karen – welcome! Louise is wonderful, isn’t she? If you haven’t gotten to “know” her yet, do! I find I enjoy the books even more after getting to see a glimpse into her remarkable life! Join her FB page and sign up for the newsletter. You’ll see that besides arising early every morning to write, she invites us into her life to share her joys and sorrows. And gives us an idea of what it takes to write a book like hers. She is a wonderful writer, uniquely Canadian, and the books show her love of country as well as of her fellow man.

There are several interviews with her available on Youtube, and she is a wonderful, funny, speaker!

Wouldn’t it be grand if we could see those centerpieces. There are all manner of things that were hidden inside, and how big must they have been to be able to truly hide some of those things? In my mind, there are lots of spiky flowers, etc. in them – like this: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/708/23660536112_23ea0b0292_o.jpg

I think nobody lives in Jane’s house. In my mind, I have it being featured a bit in the last book, and it was empty? But it definitely belongs to Clara. I’d hoped that the Artists Society would take it over and make it into a gallery space… or at least a place for them to have the societies parties and events… I’m sure Clara is taking care of the art on the walls, so I don’t think anyone would actually “live” there… but that’s just my speculation – Louise has never told us.

4. Kim B says:

I can’t imagine anyone living in Jane’s house…. Too disconcerting to have (what I picture as) walls jam packed with people and places. But too sacred to paint over. Clara is obviously still living in the home she shared with Peter. The Gamaches are in Emilie’s old house. It strikes me that Clara might find the upkeep difficult – at least in the real world.

5. Julie says:

I think that, too, Kim. (About the upkeep) It would be so much better if she could donate it to the Arts Society or something.

6. Read LP on FB. Gamache has a new job ! Sounds like The Great Reckoning is another WINNER.

So exciting!

8. Amy Z says:

Hi ladies ! So excited to read about LP’s new book! So many questions from the reveal. Sounds like he may be teaching a the academy; is the old friend Emile? What about the old adversary? John Flemming , Michel Brebuefe? Is the stained glass window the boys in the church ? Lots of things to ponder, but only Louise can make it a great story. Love how she ties all things together. Hope all is well with you all! had a great trip to Winter Carnaval in Old Quebec City in Feb. The Bury Your Dead tour was great! Louise actually rented a house for a month ; in the book it was Emile’s house! Beautiful city!

So lovely to see so many faces in the Bistro. I can feel the excitement building but August seems so far. Mind you, I don’t want to wish the time away.
    Lucky you Amy, the trip sounds lovely. I hope to see Quebec in winter. It is definitely on the wishlist. Love your thoughts on the book. I too wondered if it related to the boys in the stained glass. I don’t like the sound of suspicion falling on Gamace, shades of old evil circling again. Did anyone else think Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when reading about Amelia Choquet?

Sorry it is taking me a while but next installment for the interested

Toni Collie leaned back in her chair and gave her boss a rundown on the tour guests which she had interviewed. Therese Longley had an Arts degree but was working as a nanny for a couple in London. They were away visiting family and hadn’t required her services so she was having a holiday on her own.
    “Therese is the young, non confrontational type. She gave up her seat to the demanding Evangeline this morning. Actually, she struck me as a bit wet to be honest. Not unintelligent obviously but not overly keen to engage her brain either and too eager to be please.”
    Fox smiled slightly. He knew his partner well and suspected her assessment of the young woman might be a little harsh. Toni was not infrequently described as a ‘hard’ woman by their colleagues and she could be but she had a heart under that rigid shell.
    “Not the rampaging murderous sort then?” Fox quipped. “I spoke to Amelia Dinthorpe. She and Therese were together for the rest of the morning, didn’t leave their seats. Amelia’s background is more suited to the the villain we are looking for with her army experience and a medical degree. You need to check if she ever worked with nerve agents. Maybe a call to Porton Down?”
    Toni snorted. “Like they would tell us if she had. The Army research mob are tight lipped at best.”
    Fox nodded. “I have an old mate in the Army medical branch. I will try the back door approach tomorrow.”
    They ran through the other passengers. The bus was a specially designed 30 seater but there were only 18 on the off season tour. There was a group of four young Australian teachers on holiday over their summer, who had only arrived in England the day before the bus trip. Fox had a call in to their school principal for a background check but he thought their involvement was unlikely.
    Collie had rung the bus company for information on Sherry McCarthy and the driver, Eddie Blakewell. Eddie had been with the company for thirty years and was nearing retirement. There was not a black mark on his record, if you didn’t count a fondness for the music of One Direction which he had picked up from his grandchildren.
    Sherry was in her second year as a tour guide having started out in the booking office. She was in her late twenties and due to marry in six months. The company owner spoke well of her and she had seemed a decent sort to Toni. Admittedly, she had been hyperventilating into a paper bag when the detectives had first arrived on the scene, which Collie thought wasn’t totally unreasonable. Hopefully the upset was due to a death on the bus and not an interruption to their scheduling. Regardless, Sherry had pulled herself together and helped a constable organise for the guests to stay at the Inn rather than the designated hotel 30 miles away. Made their investigation so much easier but they would be moving on tomorrow afternoon for a two night stay at Ormsby Castle before heading straight back to London. They needed to make the most of the time they had with the suspects.
    Toni had also interviewed Frank and Doreen Hamill, a couple in their late fifties.
    “He is an accountant with his own small firm. Doreen manages a High Street clothing store. They have three married children. Their opinion of Ms Purdue differed slightly. Doreen thought she was a hussy. Frank was a bit more sympathetic, thought she was lonely and attention seeking as a result.”
    “Nothing like motive or opportunity as far as you could see?”
    “Wishful thinking with this lot I’m afraid Sir,” Toni snorted. In all her interviews she had come across neither. The Mason’s, Lizzie and Dave were in their late thirties but had expressed almost identical opinions to the Hamill’s, similarly split along gender lines. Evangeline Purdue evoked sympathy in the males and bristling disapproval among the females, with the insipid Therese Longley a minor exception to the rule.

12. Julie says:

” Hopefully the upset was due to a death on the bus and not an interruption to their scheduling. ” You crack me up, Anna! I love it! I have it all worked out HOW it was done, just not who.. though I have a couple of theories… Naturally, it’s all conjecture on my part, and my face will be red once I find out what really happened, hahaha. I do love this story and the people in it.

13. Julie says:

“Hopefully the upset was due to a death on the bus and not an interruption to their scheduling. ” You crack me up, Anna! Love the story so far and the people in it. Can’t wait to find out if my theories are correct…

Thanks Julie. Didn’t want to disrupt the flow about LP though. I really did get a shiver when she talked about the new book.

15. “Hopefully the upset was due to a death on the bus and not an interruption to their schedule “. Did have a laugh. I’ve had days, when I was Tour Director for Historic Augusta, that I wouldn’t have known which was worse. I am loving the story, Anna.