1. Julie says:

Millie – the lemon meringue pie on the Night is a Strawberry blog looks intriguing. I’m surprised at the shortcut she takes with the lime curd, though – I’ve only once followed along with people to use condensed milk to make caramel, and it was so awful I threw it all out. But I AM going to try her trick of using brown sugar in the meringue.

Hmmmm – I have more clues in my mind… but I’ll be a good girl and set it in my list rather than ask here now… Now that I’ve read it, though, it’s clear it wasn’t nerve gas from WWII but something quite new… So interesting – I wonder who’s on the cutting edge?

2. Millie says:

Julie, I thought nerve gas was used during the Vietnam war, not WWII… But my knowledge of ‘wars’ is very poor, by necessity. Seeing violence or massive deaths on a screen equals nausea and panic attacks. Reading about it is not much easier. But if it was a gas used during or after Vietnam then one of the characters might know about it?

• Julie says:

Well, of course, my knowledge is spotty at best and of course, half the time what I know for sure is wrong. Doesn’t stop me from being sure, though, hahaha. Nerve gas, mustard gas, it’s all the same to me.

I’m pretty okay about seeing the bloody, gory things, but I still can’t see something that has someone being unfaithful. It still brings up all my feelings from my first marriage. I can’t imagine how long it might be before I could watch something in which somebody dies if that had happened to me. That said, I love Rosemary and Thyme – they’re such lovely, light stories. I especially liked the last year, when they must have had a bigger budget, and all the gardens seemed to be in Europe. Just to see the gardens was reason enough to watch. And now I’m immersed in the latest episodes of Miss Fisher.

Nerve gas, the G series, was developed by the Germans in WW2 although mustard gas had been around since the 1800s and was used in WW1. Not a nerve gas but chemical warfare.

• Millie says:

Thanks for the info, Anna. Now, I better read your short story from the beginning because unlike Julie, I’ve NO idea who could have ‘done it’. I’ve an hour and a half to indulge in reading before Downton Abby.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Downton Abbey is really great this year I think. The costumes are as wonderful as ever and I’m enjoying the way the story is going except for Carson’s and Barrow’s. If I were Mrs Hughes-Carson, I think I would have to stand up to Mr. Carson and explain the difference from our jobs and our home life. I hope Barrow doesn’t become a suicide. I want everyone to have a good life.
        Just watched the recording of last night’s Rosemary and Thyme. Saw series a few years ago and just loved it. Carol and I watched it last night but I didn’t mind watching it again just now.
        Yes. Last week Carol, my sister, suggested we watch it. I told her we could change channels if she felt she needed to. She liked it and we watched last night too. It’s been over 4 years since she could watch anything where someone died. Since her husband’s death. Maybe she can make some progress towards a normal life still. I’ve never given up hope. Though sometimes it is very hard not to just scream.

• Julie says:

I know just what you mean, Barbara – I could slap Mr. Carson, but a few people seem to be setting him straight, including the Earl last night! Good for him, and good for him for caring at least a little about Edith’s feelings. If you haven’t watched the latest episode yet – SPOILER ALERT. You wouldn’t BELIEVE the things I called Mary last night after she ruined her sister’s chances for happiness (for the third time, I believe – she has ruined every single one of Edith’s chances to marry)! I know Edith ought to have told her fella, but for heavens’ sakes – I think she would have soon enough on her own.

But I do love this show and will miss it terribly when it’s gone. Thank heavens we will have a new Gamache this year – when these things stop, I take it all too much to heart, hahaha.

4. Barbara H. Johnson says:

Millie, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I’ll think of you often tomorrow. It is wonderful that cataract surgery has improved since I was a child. The patient had o remain flat on the bed with Blocks on either side of the head to keep it immobile. I couldn’t have had the surgery under those restrictions. Panic would have over taken me at the mere thought. Almost easy peasey now.
    Hugs and calm thoughts to you.

5. Barbara H. Johnson says:

Julie, I do enjoy hearing about your Jane Austen Society as it sounds like they are loads of fun. The Mice are just too cute.

6. Nancy Miller says:

Good thoughts and prayers to you from me also, Millie. I’m sure it will go well.

Its good to hear Carol has made progress Barbara. Good on you for staying positive when you are frustrated. I know how that can be!
    Cataract surgery has comeca long long way even in the last ten years. Takes but minutes and I know Millie will be fine but understand her anxiety. Like me with planes.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Thanks, Anna. Yes I’m sure you do. You mentioned that the big 3 eye diseases are in your family.
      Maybe by the time they are a threat to you, treatment will be much better. It is very frustrating to be told new glasses won’t help. I seem to have smudges on my glasses all the time. Trying to see through all that doesn’t help. In March, I think, I see the Dr and will get new glasses. Same prescription but lenses that are suppose to be smudge proof. Really ?
      Whoops! Not Australian First People but African. The name was so strange to me I made the assumption. Which reminds me how limited my knowledge of Australia’s population of today is. Another gap in my knowledge. One of the many subjects this group has inspired me to learn about.
      Looking forward to the next installment of your short story. Reminds me of the days when Magazines carried serializations. I was always anxious for the next installment

Thanks Barbara. Eye issues plague almost everyone in some form or another. Working today but hopefully some more story before I make a quick trip to Texas tomorrow to see my sister. Be gone a few days but might not get much story done.

9. Millie says:

Surgery a success. Thanks for positive thoughts.

10. Barbara H. Johnson says:

Congrats Millie ! Thanks for the news.

Yay Millie. You are a star. Rest and recover.

So glad you let the Bistro friends know that things went well, Millie. I’ve been sending good thoughts your way today and before. I’ve been following you all, wishing you well, and mentally speaking to you through days and nights!

Still many Mom fires to put out and I find it hard to find words when I get to my iPad, but I have felt your presence and support. Thank you.

My husband, sons, daughters-in-laws, grandchildren are fine; that keeps me constantly grateful.

I loved rereading the three Helene Hanff books I own and just received Q’s Legacy and The Storied Life of A. J. Fiery, on your recommendations. Listening to Louise Penny’s books for the _____th time and loving them. So much to think about, such good laughs, such human understanding. And I feel like I see the character development more clearly and more as a continuum each time I listen to them, book to book to book, the long house, as Gamache says, I think.

Oh, and Anna, I reread The Cove and enjoyed it even more on second reading, more relaxed. Hoping that you will publish your second book soon. Hint! I’m having fun reading your short story too, keep it coming!

Best thought to you all.

Daughters-in – law!

Hello Dear Cathryne, how wonderful to hear from you. I think of you all the time. I know exactly what you mean about Mum fires! Everyday brings a fresh challenge. Had one of those today but with dad.
    So glad you are getting to read and how lovely of you to reread The Cove. Book 2 is done but I need to tidy and I keep thinking I will get there but gosh, life gets in the way. Soon I hope. I will try and finish short story….maybe when I am at the airport or on the plane.
    Stay calm and well Cathryne and thank you for letting us know you are ok!

15. Julie says:

Anna – a “quick” trip to Texas? I’m not sure you could get to anywhere in the US, including Hawaii on anything you could call a “quick” trip, hahaha. But I know what you mean. Hope the mum and dad fires stay put out for a bit… it can be wearying. I feel like almost everyone here in the Bistro is going through some of the same things except me. On the one hand, that’s good, but of course, it’s mostly because both parents are gone, and I have no children or close siblings to worry about, hahaha. I get my worrying in second-hand with my step-daughter and her son and his son. But they are fairly far away and we only hear about the big things, and they’re all doing very well, so that’s a good thing, too. Well, I won’t laugh the face of the gods too long – they’ll find a way to bring me up short, I’m sure! ;->

Cathryine, I think of you often, and hope you are doing well. And Barbara, I meant to say that I was so happy your sister has been doing a little better – I think I ended up talking about me instead (so typical!). May everyone have a little bit easier time of things even just for a day or two…