1. Julie says:

It has been so quiet lately. On some level, I feel guilty talking here about other books we’re reading, though I know that Louise understands that she can’t write fast enough to account for ALL our reading needs, hahaha. I’m having a nice quiet stay in these days. I think I’d never get out of pajamas if I were left to my own for long. As it is, I’m finding out how many things I can get delivered instead of having to go out and buy them, and it’s making a hermit of me!

Still, it’s nice to have a few weeks with no responsibilities. I keep saying “yes” to things outside my comfort zone, so this summer, I’m teaching a glass on faux grain painting. My business partner and I have for a few years, made paper mache boxes that we grain painted and filled up with needlework tools and sold online. They sold really really well, and people were always clamoring for them. Now that we’re not doing it anymore, I told one group in Utah I’d teach them how to do it on their own. Of course, the time they picked was August. It will be far too hot for people to be outside working on the boxes, and far too messy to be inside. So, I’ve got to do it in a slide presentation! Yoiks! I’ve almost got it all planned out, and now need to paint a box while taking photos of each step as I go along… Plus, I need to make it something that others who are not there can download and follow along on, so not only do I need to talk people through it live, but my written instructions have to be clear and thorough… What is wrong with me that I keep agreeing to do these things? hahaha

2. Julie says:

Paul Hochman! It was nice to see you today on Louise’s FB page, smiling out at us, wearing your thinking cap! I am green with jealousy!

Hi everyone. I too saw Paul on Louise’s FB. So nice to put a handsome face to the name.
    Well, I am home. The dreaded lurgy was a nasty one. I would think I was a bit better and try to ski only to find I was terribly breathless and it would be back to bed. Then halfway through the trip I slipped on ice walking back from dinner and whacked my left elbow on the pavers. I thought I had escaped with only a dent to my pride but as the shock wore off I discovered I had wrenched my arm from shoulder to wrist.
    I did get a little skiing in basically on the last day of the holiday but it set my arm throbbing for the plane ride home. One of the first priorities when I arrived back was to get an X-ray, which is ok, and have arm taped and put in a sling to rest whatever has been sprained.
    Then I discovered my dad very ill with urinary sepsis. Darn it is taking a while to sort that one out with miscommunications between GP and Nursing home, their fault not the GPs. Fingers crossed the right antibitics will be on board today. We had him on one but the nasty bugs are resistant to it. Poor dad is feeling awful and it’s no wonder.
    Mum has been good which is great as I don’t think I could handle too much more…did I mention the dog has been throwing up and Erin has started her last year at school….
    I gues you can tell why I have been a bit quiet lately.
    Glad to hear you have a new doctor Barbara and fingers crossed all goes well. Sorry to hear about the sinus infection, that can really lay you low. I am hoping that has improved.
    You are a busy girl as always Julie. It is so exhausting to be outside our comfort zones and scary. I did that once on my ski trip and it still has me shaking. I went on a run that my brain registered as a sheer cliff…it wasn’t but to me it was the same thing. Mind you, this was with my sore arm and the lurgy so I was very breathless. Not a good time to stretch anyone’s comfort zone but I did survive.
    Awaiting Louise’s next newsletter but with a sense of trepidation with the excitement. I do worry about Michael. The prospect of learning the title to the new book is thrilling though.
    I have done some research for my third book as well as the Whistler trip where I discussed murder locations with local friends. My husband said it made for weird dinner conversation.
    How are you Millie? No snow I take it in Florida? Hopefully you aren’t dodging tornados or other nasty weather.
    Take care everyone. The world is a bit tipsy turvy here at the moment!

4. Great to hear from you Anna. I was concerned as to what was wrong. Now I see. I had to stop and get my breath after reading your post.

I hope your Dad recovers soon. It is so frustrating to have a loved one ill and not be able to “make things right”. I think of your Mother often as my MIL nears her 105th birthday on the 22nd. I am saddened that I will not be able to attend her funeral due to my estrangement from the family. I’ll remember her in my way and say a prayer here by myself while they have the funeral.

Not a sick dog, too. We are not going to give Petey the steroid inhaler the Vet wanted. I just can’t upset him by trying to give him another inhaler twice more a day. More and more we are fortunate if we can get him to let us give him the ProAir inhaler once a day rather than twice. He is aging and he is less patient with what to him is just an annoyance. If he bites one of us, the Dr. is required by law to report the incident and an investigator will come to our home. Petey adores everyone but like any dog does not understand why we put the inhaler around his snout and hold it there for 12 seconds.

Is Erin excited about being a Senior in High School? At least that is how we describe it. I can’t remember what my friends said when their English grandchildren were in their last year.

Hope your arm is mending. I never realized what an inconvenience having one arm not working was until rotator problems.

You gave me a huge laugh when you wrote about discussing murder locations during dinner.

The newsletter gave the name of the new book. It is located in Three Pines so we get to catch up on our friends.

More later, Folks.

5. You’re right Julie. It does seem odd to discuss other books here. But we are readers and want to share our joy with other readers. Jeri Westerson’s new book, “Silence of the Stone” is out. I enjoy reading about medieval times and her research is very good as well as the writing. I am anxious to follow Crispin on his latest adventure.
    You remind me of my sister. She believes that if you can have it delivered to your door, why would you dress, drive to where ever, wait in a line in a store, and drive back home . I often use a shopping service—my husband. It works well. Usually. He is so restless and talks and reads to me when I am concentrating on something. It helps him and me. I just love to have the house to myself with Petey and Ms. Gray.
    I think I’ll send Sam to buy Jeri Westerson’s book and Janet Evanovich’s Tricky Twenty-Two.
    Evanovich’s books aren’t great writing but they are too funny for words.

6. Millie says:

Hello all! Thank you all who’ve sent hello and mentioned me… :-)

Thanks Barbara for saying a few lines would do. I’m having a heck of a time reading and writing/typing. Need cataract surgery soon. When? Not sure. I know it’s safe & easy but my Blood Pressure refuses to be OK with that knowledge. Deep sigh. Even the pills to lower it aren’t helping. They just make me feel in a fog. On the upside, they seem to be helping me fall asleep quickly and wake up early. Hey Julie, before 8am on my own is EARLY, right? :)

Weather wise, I’m in lucky heaven. It’s lovely, almost warm and only sprinkles of rain every few days. Now and then it gets cold at night but I’ve been going to bed early so not bad.

Anna, Barbara, sorry to hear of your dilemmas. Blessings your way.
    Julie, I’ve been listening to the Harry Potter series now it’s available thru Audible. Your story of the lady that sucked all the air out of the room made me laugh. Your very own “dementor”. At least she didn’t suck your soul. lol… Not to worry about discussing other authors. I’ve realized I’m not as well read as I thought. Gives me something to look forward to once my eyes are better. At least I know it seems like there’s always something for each of us to face and overcome. ONWARD, brave ones. I’m drawing strength from, and hopefully providing some to you all. Lots of love.

• Controlling blood pressure can be tricky. It seems to be quite a problem to find the perfect one for some. A friend tried 8 different meds before he found one that both controlled the pressure and did not have dreadful side effects. I have had a bit of trouble with meds causing that fog effect. The early meds for anxiety were terrible about that. I hope you can find the “Magic solution”. Could relaxation tapes help? Meditation? I’m not a doctor but just a friend who would love to help. I hope you will be able to have the surgery soon.
      Soothing and caring thoughts to you.
      Not being able to see well is maddening. I struggle everyday with the damage caused by glaucoma. It is so frustrating.

Oh dear Barbara, I can’t imagine giving an inhaler to the dog…she fusses enough when we worm her!
    Dad got his antibiotics last night and I will see him shortly so hopefully he feels a bit better. He was certainly not happy and healthy yesterday.
    Erin enjoys being a Senior. She told me she has 110 school days until she is finished! We usually just say they are in Yr 12 but we do refer to seniors as the year 11 and 12s. Not dissimilar.
    Sorry about the situation with you MIL Barbara. She hasn’t died yet has she? I know she had a fall and at a 104 that is never good. We have bed rails on our Nursing Home beds and in the hospitals. They are just common sense. Dad uses them to help roll over in the night. We even bought some for home before he went into the Nursing Home.
    I think it is perfectly reasonable to talk about other books as they keep us going while we wait for August 30 and the release of the new novel. I do like the name. Louise reads other books no talks about those so I don’t think she expects us to be in a completely mono literary relationship with her. My latest reads have included a Michael Connelly, Bill Bryson’s Road to Little Dribbling, a book about the spy Kim Philby and quite a few cookbooks. I also finished the last in the Isabella Carmody Obernewtyn series which has been a long time coming. Mind you, it was a 1000 pages. I did find myself editing as it was bit long winded. I think I bought another book at Christmas but I can’t find it.
    I like the idea of the husband shopping service but when it comes to bookstores he is as bad as me and spends ages in them so I could be waiting while for my purchase.
    Nice to hear from you Paul. The thinking cap is very jaunty. I think you deserved more than “of marketing” as your descriptor. It doesn’t convey your importance here or in the bookclub. I would point that out to Louise if I was a Facebooker! As it is you will have to take comforting knowing how we feel about you….of marketing indeed….we need a much grander title. Suggestions people? Grand Poobah?

• No, my MIL is still here. I realize that all things considered, it can’t be much longer. Sam, his sister and brother are in complete denial. They seem to feel all is well and she will remain here. She has no quality of life from what Sam says.
      You mentioned Bill Bryson’s new book. I saw yesterday that an adjacent county library has it. Don’t you just enjoy reading cookbooks. I have gotten rid of most of mine but still enjoy getting cookbooks from the library. It’s like watching cooking shows. I’ll never even try most recipes but I have picked up some helpful ideas.
      Weren’t the “thinking caps” great ? They reminded me of two Sheldon scenes from Big Bang. The hats looked much like the cap he was wearing while weaving on his loom. The other was when he put his “thinking cap” on in the cafeteria. His had a chin strap which we carefully adjusted. When the others said they weren’t thinking about that topic anymore, he remarked in typical Sheldon style…..Well don’t I just feel foolish sitting here wearing this then. He proceeded to unbuckle the strap and lift the cap from his head.
      I agree. Paul needs a much more descriptive title. Without him we would not be here in the Bistro. I must put my thinking cap on and have a think about a title.

8. Julie says:

Oh, goodie! A room full of my favorite people. Even if we’re not able to be face to face, I love to wander in to the Bistro and “see” you all here! Millie, we’ve been wondering how you’re doing. Funny you should mention cataract surgery – I’m going to do that, too. My eyes are not really all that bad yet, but I’ve also got macular degeneration, which will eventually steal any ability to see to read, even. At that last exam, glaucoma made it’s first appearance, too – though not needing any treatment at this time, I can see what’s ahead (pun intended). Right now, though, I’m having a very hard time seeing well enough to stitch, and discussing it with the Dr. I said that even if it’s only a little better, it will give me another year or so to stitch, which I really want. I have so much I want to do. I’m back working at my Pride and Prejudice sampler, starting out with the end – Pemberley! I am making a lot of mistakes, but I figure I’ll probably be the only person who can see them, so what the heck! Anyway, Millie – you and I will do this thing together and get through it, I’m sure. I couldn’t get an appointment to discuss the surgery with the surgeon until March, however, and then it will be scheduled after that (see how determined I am that I WILL have it – never mind what he thinks?) – I hope not too long after that. Let us know when yours is… we can help each other do it!

I’m sorry the blood pressure pills are hard to take – each one of us is a little bit different. I’m on pills, too, but it seems like I’m lucky on that score – they have always worked really well and not had the slightest sense that I’m drugged. Though there are nights (like last night) when I feel like I wish I could just hit myself over the head with a hammer. I don’t have much going on right now, so have totally reverted to form – up at noon, awake til 3 or later. I think I’m going to experiment with ocean sounds to sleep to. Hopefully, hubby won’t mind – he probably won’t know – he’s asleep in a moment! I get so jealous!

Glad, glad, glad to see you here, Millie! I know what you mean about feeling not as well-read as you thought. Me too! Of course, I have never thought of myself as well-read, but now I have proof, hahaha. I keep on trying one here, one there of the so-called mystery “classics”. Latest was Ngaio Marsh, whose name alone is worth the price of the book! Her inspector Alleyn is much more humorous on the page than he was on TV, though I didn’t see very many of those. Of course, I felt like it wasn’t fair that he kept things from us all so we didn’t have a chance to solve the crime ourselves. Well, I was pretty sure who it was, but had completely accepted that he didn’t have time to do it, given his alibi.

I also tried the Lord Peter Wimsey series, but I’m afraid they left me cold. Too “mannered”, or stilted for me. Nobody writes like Louise! I do love the Harry Potter books, Millie – forgot about the dementors – yes, that’s exactly what she was like, hahaha. It was very interesting to see how everyone reacted to her. I kept trying to get control to get back to the topic, but she just would not be quiet. I have no idea why she was even there, as she didn’t do the project. We were actually quite a rag-tag little group, as one person didn’t see well enough to stitch, and another had absolutely no idea how to do a cross stitch, even though I had specified that some basic knowledge and experience were assumed. Oh, well – what can you do? Hahaha.

• I understand your wanting to see as well as you can for as long as you can. I hope you and Millie will let us know when the surgeries are planned.
      For several years, I was up till 3AM or later. Getting up late in the morning, breakfast wasn’t Brunch it was simply Lunch. Ocean sounds did help along with he sound of a mountain stream. I still have the machine by the bed and sometime use it. Those no sleep nights are horrors.

9. Julie says:

Anna! My heart just fell when I read that not only did the lurgy carry on terribly, but then you fell and hurt your arm! I could feel it throbbing all the way home on the airplane! What a rotten couple of bits of luck to spoil your beautiful holiday. I hope you were able to find SOME fun… I hate being sick when I’m away from home as it is, but to not be able to do what you came so far for, must have been torture!

So glad your Mum is doing well, but of course, just as that goes well, you have a problem with your Dad’s care. It’s so not fair! I hope he’s soon on the mend and more comfortable. The pooch, too!

I’m so glad you’re still working on the books – can’t wait to read the second one. And you’re already working on the third! Hallelujah! I would love to have been in that discussion of murder scenes. I’ve always thought it would be fun to write something about a murder on a tour bus… It’s close to a closed room mystery, as you have a very limited number of suspects and some interesting logistics to play with. Of course, that’s as far as I get, hahaha.

Hopefully, things will calm down a bit for you now, and you can carry on…

10. Julie says:

Barbara – I can’t imagine giving a dog an inhaler – poor Petey – what did he ever do to deserve this? I can hear him thinking it all over now, and deciding that you’ve all gone crazy. He’s okay to humor you once a day, but not more than that!

I wish I could send my hubby shopping – he just never gets the right things. He can be depended on if it’s bread and milk, but not beyond that. No worries though – I have been enjoying figuring out what I’m willing to pay a little premium for to have it delivered. After all, besides my time and energy, there’s the cost of running the car and the cost to the planet as well!

I’ll have to look out for Jeri Westerson. I do love Janet Evanovich – I remember once reading that Stephen King thought she was so bad she ought to be taken out and flogged, or some such thing. Then again, I don’t think I could read very many of his books, hahaha. Though really only because many of them are too creepy, not because I don’t think he’s a good writer. Still, I thought it was a very un-gracious thing to say!

• Stephen King’s books scare me. too. I only read them during the day. I just can’t watch the movies based on his books. I don’t like to be frightened although studies show that many people do. I thought his comment about Evanovich’s writing was unprofessional at least. I certainly enjoy them.
      Sam does well shopping but he buys too many sweets at the grocery. He’ll stop by and buy pie, cakes and cookies all on his own.

11. Julie says:

Anna, I think Marketing is very important (especially now that I’ve tried my hand at marketing a book), but I have no objection to an even more grand title! Paul Hochman, Mystery Commander Extraordinaire! Whatever they call you, Paul, we appreciate all you do for us.

I’m glad your Dad is doing better!

I love the new title – need to live with it a bit to conjure up what’s coming. I feel there was some unfinished business from the last book that we might see this time…

12. Millie says:

What a welcome, Julie. I finally read the Feb newsletter. It does say Paul is also “the genius responsible for, among other things, the virtual bistro.” Handsome and a genius! :-) We are truly grateful.

Ok, I finally got the newsletter and she calls you a genius Paul. I feel somewhat mollified and feel I can go on with my day in a better frame of mind.

How bizarre people, I wrote my last comment in a rush, I was stirring my soup. I now have to go and devour everyone’s comments that I didn’t even see. Hello everyone!!