Mmmmm…..I need to explore the idea of the stays. Any websites I can look at that sell them Julie?

The TV has had nothing but Paris for 24 hours and yet it is still unbelievably shocking. I watch with trepidation and solidarity. We are one world.

After Cathryne’s mention of her imagined conversations with us I spent the night pondering how we could all get together at Hovey Manoir. It must be possible. An autumn sometime I hope.

2. Julie says:

I agree, Anna – Paris still seems shocking to me. I don’t know if it’s because it’s Paris, or because the culmination of terror events in the past week has been so much, and the cumulative effect is that there is a growing sense that there must be some way to stop this. I think we’ll see some more shocking things in the next few weeks. I’m almost ready to stop watching the news, as it’s so depressing. Our national news that we watch has been, for about a year now, ending its show with a “feel good” story, but I’m so cynical now that most of the time I feel like they are not newsworthy…

I would so love to get together… Hovey Manoir would be lovely, but even if we had to make it somewhere else, it would be so welcome…

3. Julie says:

Ooop – I forgot to give you some links to places for stays, Anna. The ones I found were on Etsy – short stays or half-stays are basically like a very stiff bra. I got that because it laces in front, so I can put it on myself – anything that requires someone else was not really looked at, hahaha. I expect that the long stays or full stays would be even more supportive, though – especially of my back. And I did find some of those that fastened up the front. They are not inexpensive, but considering the materials and the work, I think they’re worth it. If something is sold out, you can usually message the person to see if they’re taking any custom orders.

That last one is the ones I bought, but I found that the straps were too short – yet I was sure I’d given her my correct measurements. My dressmaker fixed them for me by putting an elastic strap on their place. So I would choose the kind that have the ties on the straps next time, so I can adjust them. I’m still thinking of getting the short stays with petticoat attached…

They recommend wearing a chemise under these (to prevent any chafing), like they did in regency times. My chemise came up too high in the back – I didn’t like people being able to see it, though that’s definitely a Regency look. Anyway – I wear a cotton tank top under mine, and that works great.

4. After visiting the Bistro many times in the last few days, I’m going to try to write.

Paris. I saw the horrific news on my home page. Then to the Bistro where Anna had posted not to view the news. Thanks for the thought and concern. I watched a news conference by Obama earlier today. He was in Turkey. I agree that stopping people who are willing to blow themselves up to kill others are hard to stop. I think we just have to be more cautious. It is heartbreaking to think that perhaps we must turn deserving people away from freedom and safety but that may be the outcome. We must try to protect our homeland and ourselves. If we allow them to destroy the US, who else will be able to stand against them and try to save civilization. As I do at times like these, I have given much thought to the views and ideas of others as to end times or the destruction of the world as we know it. I have thought of the way people must have felt when the Goths, Visigoths, Vikings, Mongols and others ran rampart over Europe. All must have seemed lost for the villages and towns as they fell under attack. It was the end for many.
    The accomplishments of mankind are awe inspiring. The Arts and the Sciences. Everything. Yet, how to guard against mad men bent on destruction and still reach out to those who need help ? I am thankful such decisions and responsibilities are not mine and I pray for guidance and wisdom for those whose duty it is.

5. Louise’s Facebook posting are touching. I think it is wonderful that she has shared their move with us. The condo looks like home already. I loved seeing Bishop by the door. May Peace and Love abide with them.

6. Cathryne, I have thought of you often in the past weeks. I also went back to the reread and read many posts again. I hope you can sense our concern, support and caring. While, we can not really take on any of the stress… we would if we could. Whenever any of us visit the Bistro for a respite, we can always review what has been said earlier. I think that is wonderful. The words of encouragement are as meaningful as they were the first time we read them.
    Prayers are said for you. I care. We care.

Thoughtful as always Barbara. It is hard to know how to resolve the issues that face the world without sinking into the mire at times like these. I liked your historical comparisons. Remember, it may have looked like the end of times to those in the path of rampaging armies in the past, just as it must look that way to Syrians today but the world moved forward and onwards even so. Times are scary as they were in 2001, but do not lose hope.

It is good to see Louise and Michael in their new home. Thank goodness they have the love and care of family and friends. It must certainly ease a difficult process.

Is everyone ok??

Just saw on Louise’s website that she has finished the first draft of the next book. Hopefully we will see the final soon!

9. Julie says:

I think we’re all so quiet as we face the lull after TNOTB and the idea of the long winter coming. El Nino is plotting a particularly wicked winter for us, I’m afraid. In the east, it seems to have started already, and I know that we are expecting lower temps and higher winds than normal over on the west coast. I think that to some degree, at least, I have been affected by the increased threat of terrorist attacks and the seemingly endless ways people have of expressing hatred. If ever there was a time for us all to stand together, it’s now, but we seem to be cracking apart… It gives me great heartache as I see it, and makes me want to withdraw somewhat.

Always happy to see that Louise is chugging along – she amazes me. Her cheer in the face of hardship gives me great hope.

There is no doubt the whole world has been stunned by the events of the last week. I can understand the feeling of retreat especially in the face of a harsh winter. It’s not a bad idea to catch our collective breath but I think it will be alright. In some ways the events have brought the world together with new resolve. Like Barbara pointed out, the world has been here before. We just need to find the moments of peace and instants of laughter and stretch them further than we have before.

Amen!

Hi Cathryne! Thinking of you. And everyone.

My way to survive at the moment is to remember a small mantra…every act of kindness!

That’s it. Every act of kindness, no matter how small, lights a light in the darkness and joins us together against the forces that drive us apart. A smile for a stranger, letting someone go ahead of you in a queue, hold open a door, compliment a friend. You may not think it makes a difference but I have had my whole day changed by a simple courtesy. Kindness and care are the antidotes to hatred. That is why we live Louise and the same mantra will get us through this as well.

Love Louise I meant but live Louise is a good mantra too!

• Julie says:

Indeed – if I could live as graciously as Louise, I’d count myself very well satisfied. I, too, think kindness is the key. I may be close to having to stop watching the news, as I think between it, and Facebook, everywhere I turn there is hatred. I can’t live like that. Every act of kindness will heal and soothe me, I know, and the world is full of kind people I must remember that.

The Internet and 24 hour news has brought every evil act into our lives. Evil acts always existed but we were not aware of their volume before. Imagine if we had the same access to information during WW2. It would have been even more horrifically present in every moment. We need downtime from the horror. Switch it all off and find a spot in the sun, or enjoy the rain or the wind or the snow. Surround yourself with things and people that bring you joy. It is not to shut out a harsh reality that does exist but to remind ourselves that beautiful realities also exist all the time.

The Nature of the Beast has ever more relevance now. Evil is always in our midst, as the gun was hidden in Three Pines. It doesn’t stop good ness growing up around it.

Not easy I know Julie. How is everyone coping with the upcoming Holiday season? My brother asked me today what we were doing. I need to get my head around that. I did buy a cooking magazine with Christmas recipes. I am thinking whole BBQed snapper sounds great. Might send my brother to the fish markets Christmas Eve. That is one of their busiest days, along with Holy Thursday, and the place is usually jammed. Not my idea of fun but the boys can handle it.

I wonder what Louise has in store for us with the next book. I love what she said on Facebook about the first chapters dragging their knuckles, those are the hardest to get right for me. You want it to be exciting or interesting and ready to drag people in.

I just finished reading Elizabeth George’s latest. It is a weighty tome and it is a long way into the book before a murder occurs. She kept me reading though but weaving the characters’ tales along and keeping you guessing but it was a little long.