Love it when wonderful things happen Millie and you and your mum deserve a whole lot of wonderful. You have become your mum’s PA and I bet buckets you are being amazing so big pat on the back or BZ, that’s a Bravo Zulu in the Navy and means well done. I know communication between men and women can be tricky but I laughed at your description of the blank look….what is he saying, I could hear you thinking. I do that a lot with my husband and I am not bilingual!

SPOILER ALERT

Good point with Gamache’s comment. It is exciting to think of the possibilities in everyone’s lives right now. “What next” might become my new mantra because it embodies the idea that we have done something, achieved something and we are looking with relish to the challenge to come. I don’t always face the future that way, covers over the head comes to mind. But I will endeavor to be stronger. You would be with Gamache by your side.

2. Julie says:

Oh, so many thoughts running through my head. Yes, when Gamache’s name is revealed to Fleming, I think that’s absolutely a clue that he will be back. I hope that poor little Adam Cohen isn’t caught in the cross-fire. as even though he made a mistake, it was an honest mistake made when he was frightened half to death! I was so worried that the next scene was going to show us Cohen dead by the side of the road, his car and Fleming missing… duh duh duh…

I missed the apple thing, and considering the apple’s place in the whole good and evil landscape, you’d think I’d have noticed. Now I have to read the whole book again, hahaha.

3. Julie says:

When I saw that Gamache was reading TKAM, I, too, wondered if it had been added at least after all the hoopla over GSAW. Love to know what Louise thinks about that. I saw Gamache, as he looked at the small bookcase, choosing a book to read, as having it filled with touchstone books – those that helped him remain centered and good. In a world swirling with evil, to be able to go, even for a few minutes, to a place where goodness is so prevalent, where things are black and white (no pun intended), must be so important to him.

4. Cathryne, So glad you could stop by. I’m sorry your Mother is in a bad spot now. We know those times come when we are caregivers, but that doesn’t make it easier. One of my problems was that I could not accept my inability to “Make everything right”. It hurts so much to want to help those we love by taking away health problems, but we can’t. I, like others here, understand what you are going through. I send you strength, physical and mental, and the reminder that we can only do our best even though it seems insufficient sometimes.
    Stop by when you can. We care.

5. Julie says:

Millie – will you be going to the book fair, as well? How fun will that be? I just love that you are helping your mom with all the paperwork and the ins and outs of things. I, too, understood the blank look – not because I switch between languages like you, but because I switch between left and right brain activities very reluctantly. I can be immersed in design work, and Vern will say something and I haven’t got a clue what he’s said. Luckily for me, I can “see” the words hanging in the air, and as long as it wasn’t a long, rambling sentence, I can stop, switch gears, and still hear it and respond. He’s gotten used to the fact that he can say something to me, and that I WILL answer, but it will be about a 30-second delay. All the while, I think I must look like there is absolutely nothing between my ears, hahaha.

Millie – get lots of rest, and you will be unstoppable at this! (The becoming a morning person I recognize – it gets harder and harder for me to make it to morning appointments, but every once in awhile I have to. Not fun.)

6. Julie says:

SPOILER ALERT Ohhhhh – I let that comment “We’ll see” go right by. Yet, of course, it means something! I was just thinking that he meant that he’d be able to influence how things would go for that officer, but I think you’re right… He’s at least considering doing something…

So often, for me, “What’s Next” has an exasperated quality – like the last straw being bundled on my back – I need to get back to thinking of it as a good thing.

7. The Scream everyone just heard was mine. I hit Post and mine disappeared. It had taken about 30 or so minutes and addressed many posts y’all had made. Now I’ve lapsed into southern speech with a capital S. Oh well, in times of stress people do revert to their first language.

This page is such an entertaining read! Sorry about the post Barbara. How many times have I done that! It was just the way you put it….sorry about the scream…..I think I heard you from here!

The best thing To do when writing a long post is to type it in a document like Word or Pages and cut and paste it over here. I am guilty of not doing that as I like to scroll up and down and check I responded to everything.

The other thing you can do is press post comment after a few lines so you know they are safely off and write the rest in a new post ala my little demonstration. Anything to stop the screaming but I am quite fond of your Southern accent so use that happily any time! Is it time for a vase of bourbon and branch to settle your nerves cause you have to write that long post….I am now intensely curious as to what it said!

SPOiLeR ALERT

That scene you describe with Adam went through my head exactly Julie. I did not want to turn the page in case it came true. One little mistake he made….not even a mistake exactly. As you say it was in a time of intense pressure and Adam is young and has minimal experience really. I was having flashbacks to a previous book. Life in the Three Pines world is not always kind to the young and fresh faced.

12. Anna, you gave me a laugh. The problem is I don’t know how to use Documents or Cut and Paste. I read the book on the previous laptop. I am going to buy one probably “Windows 8 for Dummies”. Millie mentioned that her Mother was not technologically savvy. Let’s guess who else isn’t.
    Lovely suggestion…….Um, where is that vase?

Ok. Well Millie is the expert in guiding people through computers. If you have a PC then I am guessing you have Word. I am all Mac now.
    Miiiilllllliiiiiieeeeee….can you help!?

By the way Barbara, last time I looked Jason Day was playing well. Nice for him to be on a bit of a roll. Speaking of which its back to my book….it’s getting exciting and I honestly, and I mean that, have no real idea what is happening next. That’s why writing the first draft can be so much fun!

• He has had a good year. I hope he continues to play well.
      Sam’s Lions Club has its annual golf tournament/fundraiser next month. Sam doesn’t play often so he doesn’t want to play in the Tournament. He and some of the other members are assigned to work certain holes. They have a good time and raise an amazing amount of money.
      Miss Fisher’s Murder mysteries started a new season. I do enjoy that show. Those clothes are a dream.

15. I don’t remember all that I had written but here goes another try.
    SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
    Julie, I felt the same about Adam Cohen.
    I hated that agent treating Gamache as he did at the crime scene. Of course, there were cadets being trained while the corruption was running rampant in the Surete. I want Gamache, through influence or position, to complete the job of repairing the Surete.