The question I am pondering as I clear out possessions is in regards to books. Now that I am enjoying Kindle and Audible, I have begun to let books go. It is still a new idea for me, though. Each step is tentative. I would love to hear about the thinking of others.

This is so tough Cathryne. I love books and struggle to let them go. When we moved and consolidated my parents home and ours over fifty boxes of books were given away but we still have way more than that. The books I have on kindle are ones I travel with, light reads, or books I can’t get easily in print. If I love a book, like Louise’s then I have both electronic and print versions.

Maybe get rid of books you don’t love or will never look at again. We try and give ours away to useful places. Maybe nursing homes or schools depending on the book. Some places have free lending libraries, book exchanges or sell online.

I know we are going to have to do another book cull in preparation for our overseas move and I am not looking forward to it!

3. Millie says:

Hello all. Doesn’t seem I’ll have all my boxes of books emptied and shelved before Louise’s book arrives at my door, but I have made tremendous progress.

Cathryne, this may seem like blasphemy, but I took a cowardly approach. Maybe. We have an excellent recycle program with special recycle bins. That’s what I’ve done with many fiction books I read in the 80’s & 90’s and even some of my highlighted and annotated books from my University years which I read because it was part of the syllabus but which I didn’t like at all – the recycle bin. Many had gotten wet, or were so old they were falling apart. After I shed a lot of tears about it, my wish is that the paper becomes useful again. Someone mentioned previously that it was hard to enjoy what one loved ‘now’ when it was hidden under or behind stacks of old stuff.

That’s been my approach: does it interest me ‘now’. I actually have room now to put the children’s books in the bookcases. Before I know it the granddaughters will be reading or snuggling with Nana who’ll read to them.

I don’t think I could have done this before. Not before making such lovely human friends at the Bistro. Books are no longer my only constant friends. Thank you.

4. Julie says:

I agree with Millie – the approach I’ve taken is to only keep books that are important to me now. My goal is to not have any books in the house that I don’t love, but that will take a long time to achieve as my old philosophy was that books were “sacred” and you have to keep them, hahaha. I’ve donated a lot, but any that I think will be of interest to someone, I have on a list with Paperback swap club – so if someone wants to read them, I can send them to their new homes, and get points with which to “buy” other books that I only intend to read once and then put back on the list to swap. In a few years, I’ll have a small bookcase with these books in it, my Kindle, and one whole room full of important books – mostly about needlework.

I’m off this morning to Utah for a week’s worth of needlework classes – so I won’t be checking in until after I return home, next Monday. I’ll miss the first flurry of excitement over TNOTB, here in the Bistro, but I’ll be reading, as it will be delivered to my Kindle as soon as it’s ready. See you all soon!

5. Barbara says:

Installed windows 10. Another bad idea. The bear is back to driving and walking as he wishes. Whatever. Would like to comment on posts but must figure the widows 10 out.

• Millie says:

Hi Barbara. Glad to hear your bear’s surgery went well and he’s getting around on his own. Be gentle with yourself as you figure out the new update. I find learning new versions one of the most frustrating things around. Once one gets comfortable and feels confident and competent, they pull the rug out from under you.

I’m in somewhat the same boat – but mine is a switch from PC to Apple. I just have to remind myself it took me years to get good at using Windows XP. Yep, that old. Knew all the tricks. Now I feel like a newbie all over again. It’s takes time but I’m sure we’ll get there. I won’t be throwing away the ‘Switching from PC to Mac’ book any time soon!

• Gave up and switched back to 8.1. I will install it again. Now isn’t the time for the stress.

• Just lost long post about finding new homes for books. I’ve sold them at yard sales for $1 or less, given them to the Library, the VA Hospital, Kroc Center, Ethnic museums, Goodwill for sale in their book store, etc. I have many of my Uncle’s books still. My sister has 500+ books that were her husband’s. Many of my Uncle’s books had to be recycled….mold, mildew and attic storage had ruined them. How many books had to find a home when my Mother-in-law left her home? NONE. Oh, they did have Bible.

• Millie says:

I’m sorry Barbara, but I actually snorted when I read your last few lines. Are you sure you weren’t describing my own Mother-in-law? The irony is she taught reading her entire career as a grade school teacher. May she rest in peace…

6. Anna, Hope your Dad is much improved. Sam and his brother have gone to visit their Mother. She continues to fall. An alarm sounds when she gets out of bed or her chair. She falls when she stands so it has already happened when an attendant arrives. I hope they don’t complain again as there is only one sure remedy. I know they don’t want her restrained. At least I don’t. She fell so many times when she lived with her daughter but that didn’t seem to worry them.
    Tomorrow!

• Anna says:

Thanks Barbara. Dad is much improved. He just keeps bouncing back!

Good to hear Sam is mobile but not so good about his mother. You are correct though, falls are a tough one to prevent without being super restrictive.

Good luck with Windows. I have an Erin, my daughter. She is the solution to all problems technological. She just set up my new Mac and dads new Mac. Not sure if she is as PC savvy but she is pretty good.

Funny, I was using my new fancy food processor last night and Erin wasn’t home. Took my brother and I, five degrees between us in science, a bit of work to get the processor going. Erin normally sets it up for me!

Thanks to Millie reminding me, I have TNOTB! It’s already the 25th in Australia! As the torrential rain and gales pour down outside I am about to start reading. I almost don’t want to because I don’t want it to be over. I know once I start it will go all too quickly.

• Millie says:

You’re welcome! Think of it as the beginning of a new garden of cosmic speculation! I’m so looking forward to people’s insights and thoughts. Actually, I can’t wait to read it! So excited. So impatient. Enjoy.

8. Millie says:

Has anyone received a map yet? Just curious since TNOTB takes place in Three Pines.

Knew once I started I wouldn’t be able to stop. Enjoying it very much. Can’t wait until we can all talk!

10. Millie says:

You read it in five hours?!?!? I’m a much slower reader. Brown (UPS) hasn’t even gotten to my house yet. Testament to how excited I am, I woke up really early (for me), by 10:30! If Louise had a chapter a day out, I might become a morning person again. lol.

Amazing! Great book. A beginning of a new story arc I think.

Most amazing thing….it’s based on a true story!

12. Millie says:

It’s magnificent and terrifying, yet full of hope and I absolutely loved it. It wrenched every possible emotion from me. Now, I need a slower re-read. Maybe then I’ll find words to describe my feelings for this is a masterpiece with many layers.

I hope everyone is reading happily. The power of TNOTB reminded me of TLWH. Lots to think about.

14. Amy says:

Hi to all! Have not yet started TNOTB; going to Pittsburgh tomorrow to hear Louise and receive my copy! Can’t wait to spend all day Sunday reading! It will be very tempting to start Friday night but I must be patient! Good things come to those who wait! Happy reading everyone!