Through reading all the recent posts the only thing I could think was I hope you are ok Barbara. Sorry to hear you had a meltdown although I can totally understand it. Had a few of those in my life. I am glad you find support in The Bistro, that is very important. The care and support here is very real and genuine even though we have all never met.

I agree that Watchman could benefit from editing but it is still an interesting piece. I am guessing that when Scout was growing up Racism was too much just a part of the world for her to see it, it was just how things were. Maybe it was only as it was being called out as not normal that the turmoil began and it became visible to many. It is like all kinds of hidden discrimination, be it to women, racial groups or on the basis of sexuality. Until the discrimination itself becomes discussed and visible it doesn’t exist for many people.

There is also a lot of explanation in the Watchman about the family protecting the children from seeing racism around them. They grew up in a bubble as it were. Watchman is about the bubble bursting for Scout.

I LOST MY POST! I’ll try again.
    I have been reading the posts with great interest, but haven’t found time or focus to join in. I’ll have to wait for another day now. But, Barbara, I just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you and sending good wishes. You were so smart to go to the Bistro and reread previous words of support and caring. The sincerity in those words is still evident, I think. Also, hooray for your sister for giving you GSAW. I bet it was fun for her, too.

I have been reading reviews of Go Set A Watchman, listening to interviews of friends and relatives of Harper Lee, and thinking long thoughts about the book, which I have not read yet, through the week. Do we go through the stages of grief with something like this? I have forgotten all of them possibly, but I think denial, anger, and acceptance are involved. I think there’s been a lot of that going around, including in my mind. Your comments have been very helpful and insightful. I would like to be more specific but it will have to be another day.

I must take a moment to say how happy I have been to read each new, wonderful review of TNOTB. Lucky us to have it to look forward to. And a thrill for Louise after her hard work!

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Cathryne, Thanks for caring. My sister did enjoy getting the book for me. She ordered the book on line rather than go to the Mall to Barnes & Nobel. She didn’t want to dress and drive there. All part of her withdrawal since her husband’s death 3 1/2 years ago.
      I too have read the reviews and interviews on GSAW. Your thoughts on grief and GSAW match mine. After reading the bit from the book on line, I’m very interested in the Aunt.

3. Julie says:

Barbara – I hope things are a little better for you now. When life just seems overwhelming to me, I have a tendency to go under the covers and not poke my head out til it’s over. I think I have been doing that (at least emotionally) since the other day – I was in a little accident – nobody hurt, thank goodness, but it was totally my fault and due to just plain carelessness. It really spooked me, not because of what happened, but what might have happened. A perfectly lovely young woman was sitting in her car with her very young son (looked to be about 3 to me) and her frail-looking grandmother, when I came along and side-swiped them. If circumstances had been a little different, I could have really hurt them, and just the thought of that fills me with sadness. I am so grateful that nothing bad happened to them, but also a wake-up call to me to how much I drive (and do so many other things) without giving them all the thought and care they need…. Feeling better now, but it really did shake me up a bit.

• Anna says:

Oh dear Julie. I am so pleased that everyone is ok, physically at least. I can still think of a near accident I almost had and it sends absolute chills down my spine. And that was an almost! It only takes a moment of distraction doesn’t it. Take a deep breath and we will all be grateful it wasn’t as bad as could have been. Take solace in knowing it happens to all of us.

How are you Barbara. I know about wanting to be under the covers like Julie but the true measure is that you come out and face the world again. Actually there is nothing wrong with a short retreat to catch your breath and regain your equilibrium. You are strong Barbara and you will be ok but we are all here thinking of you and sending love and support to help you through the tough moments. I know it’s a virtual hug but it’s a real hug.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Oh, Dear Julie. Your experience must have been very disturbing. I’m so glad no one was hurt. About two years ago, I hit a parked truck. It was my fault, of course, but it had an extended bed (I think it is called) which made it longer than the other vehicles. I misjudged how far it was in my lane. I was afraid to drive for months.
      I have a better grasp on things now than last week due largely to you wonderful friends here at the Bistro. Hope things are back to normal for you, Julie.

Sorry Cathryne. Just saw your post. Interesting comment about grief with the novel. I felt a bit like that as I hovered wondering whether to read Watchman, would I ruin my experience with Mockingbird. I can’t speak for how anyone else would feel but I actually think it enhances my opinion. Mockingbird is a much better book but you can see the improvement, the changes as Harper Lee must have moved from one to the other. I appreciate the opportunity to explore her writing process with a glimpse at how her writing developed. But the tenor is there. The insight into how very difficult the process of societal change is, how it affects everyone. Is it like giving birth? A long period of anticipation, a shorter period of pain and dramatic effort and then the world is suddenly different in every way. But it is just the start. The real process just beginning and takes a lifetime to show its true potential.

Watchman just opened my eyes to how good people can have rigid thoughts. It can take all of us time to change.

5. Barbara H. Johnson says:

Anna,As always thank you f or your concern and caring. How are your parents? I hope you are remembering to take time for yourself.
    There is the fear of how GSAW will impact on my feelings toward Mockingbird. I can hear Atticus’s voice (Gregory Peck) in the movie. I do look forward to the differences in the writing and learning what went from it into Mockingbird.
    Your observation that good people can have rigid thoughts is certainly true. I seem to forget that at times.
    Cat yelling in background. Off for nail clipping.

• Anna says:

Hi Barbara. Mum is ok and dad is trundling along. He is exercising, in his chair, to impress the physio who comes tomorrow. Having someone come to the house is an effective way to stimulate his enthusiasm for his exercise program. It is helping though.

I see over a million copies of GSAW have sold in North America. I wonder how many people even worried over reading it because of the impact it might have on TKAM? Are we unusual in that regard or do you think most people considered it? How would we respond if it was an early work of Louise’s? Maybe a draft of Still Life. Would it change how we feel about the novels? Or would we read it thinking, wow so much changed between the draft and the final but the bones were there and the process is interesting?

It might be different if Armand was portrayed less favorably in the draft form. I would be interested once you read GSAW Barbara if you can see how the Atticus of both novels can be resolved into a singular being. I Have noticed in some elder people that vies become more rigid rather than less rigid as they get older. I have seen the same in myself at times much to my horror. Maybe the 72 y.o Atticus was a voice for those folks….not bad people just raised in a different time with different social mores. In his younger years he had the energy to try to see past the social conditioning but as he aged perhaps he was tired and less able to do so? Although the biggest message in the book is that we can think for ourselves and should at any age. That we should use all the tools and information at our disposal to inform our opinions and not be tied to wha others think no matter how much we revere them. I think it is a positive message.

• Julie says:

Interesting thoughts about Armand, Anna. A few weeks ago, I was looking around at a Louise Penny page on Youtube (I think it was), and found an interview with Louise that I listened to – I have to pick and choose with videos, because my speakers are so poor that on many videos, even on the loudest setting, I can’t hear them… ANYWAY… she was saying that in her first draft, Armand was very different, and she found she didn’t like him very much. She remembered Agatha Christie growing to loathe Poirot, and didn’t want that to happen, so she rewrote him. In the beginning, it wasn’t going to be Armand who was the main character, even – it was going to be Peter and Clara, solving crimes together… Of course, then, Three Pines would have to be a lot like Cabot Cove, hahaha. She said that Armand was younger, in a bad marriage, arrogant, and with lots of problems. (Sounds like Jean Guy!) I wonder how we’d like to read a version of Still Life like that? I don’t think I’d mind at all, because I do think it’s very interesting to see the early versions of things, and how they changed and became what they are now. Truly, my only problem with reading GSAW is that I’m not convinced that Harper Lee would want me to. (And you just KNOW she’s so interested in what I read, hahaha)

6. Millie says:

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. Like Catheryn, my focus has been elsewhere – all good things – so I’ve fallen way behind on the topics explored. That doesn’t mean I’ve neglected my positive thoughts for you.

I read a new excerpt from TNOTB today. Loved it. A new character is introduced. He looks at his surroundings, who he notices and asks, “What is this place?” I smiled and automatically thought, The Bistro! Those two words fill me with joy and comfort.
    Barbara, glad you found comfort here recently. Hugs to all.

• Anna says:

I just read that excerpt too Millie. Who is this Professor I wondered? Did he view the Bistro with delight of disdain? It was not obvious from the paragraph.

Sitting in the sunshine here. Hope everyone has a patch of warmth and delight in their day today. Remember to breathe Julie…everyone survived and you will be ok. You too Barbara!

• Julie says:

Thank you, Anna – and everyone, for such good thoughts about me and my little problems. You are right – everyone is fine, I have insurance which will cover the other car’s repair as well as my own, and if my premiums go up, maybe that will help me to remember to pay attention! I’m going in to see how much the repairs to my car will cost today – and am hoping that they’re going to say they have to repaint the whole car, because I’d love to change the color, hahaha. I find that color is the most important thing to me! (not really – safety is, but a nice, red car would be very nice!).

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Hi, Millie! Great to hear from you. So glad good things are happening for you. I hope you will join in the discussion of TNOTB next month. Your insights are good.
      A new character! Wonder how he fits in.
      Hugs back to you.

• Julie says:

I haven’t read the excerpt yet – this is the first place I go to every morning, to start my day off right, so now I know I will have fun if there’s a new excerpt! And a new character! :D

I just love excerpt days! And I love reading your thoughts about the excerpts because you make me smile and you make me think. I just assumed the professor was filled with admiration and pleasure, but you are right, Anna, it doesn’t say. I tend to jump to conclusions so I’m glad to have other points of view to make me go back and look again. I like the professor’s name although I’m not going to try to find it right now after losing my post yesterday! It doesn’t sound especially French or English which might be interesting. And, he seemed to know Ruth and Clara’s names, but not to know the town…

My mom responded well to the Physical Therapist coming to her too, Anna. I wish he could have come longer. They are often full of good ideas and we all like to have some extra encouragement and appreciation for our efforts. I hope your dad continues to improve and feel stimulated by the visits.

Best thoughts to you, Julie, after your scare. Something like that can be a real reminder and it’s been on my mind since you told us about it. It’s easy to get overly comfortable about driving. And, my first choice after an awful experience like that is definitely to go into turtle mode!

Barbara, glad you’re feeling better. Supportive and calm thoughts are coming your way from all different directions. Just reach out and pull them close. You made me laugh when you said, “Cat yelling in background.” We have two who do a good job making their opinions known!

Millie, good to hear from you!

9. Julie says:

Doing something I don’t often do. After having had my morning “fix” here in the Bistro – coming back to show you something I just found! This article resonates, and hopefully, both Anna and Millie will appreciate it from the point of view of an author:

• Anna says:

Could have sworn I wrote a post Julie thanking you for the link and the thoughts about the early version of Armand. If it pops up I apologise. I was going to say I agreed with the author of the article and I was intrigued about the evolution of Armand. Lots to think about.

10. Millie says:

Barbara, Thank you for the hug and for your gift of ‘perspective’. When I first read you were glad good things were happening “for” me, my knee-jerk reaction was to think, “Not really for me. I was doing things for others.” But as I thought about it, I realized how right you were! Last week a neighbor turned 95 and my son’s friend turned 34. Neither have any living relatives and I care for both very much. By doing floral and party horns and such for each place setting for the surprise luncheon for my neighbor and agreeing to my son’s request to have us host dinner and cake for his friend, I did indeed do a lot for myself. I pushed myself to let my creative inner child out to play. She had been off in a corner, silently, patiently waiting for all the grieving of dear family members lost in the last few years to ease.

I probably shouldn’t have gone up and down a step stool quite so much, hanging balloons and streamers at home for my ‘adopted son’ because I sure felt it a few days later, but it felt so good to see the joy in his face. Plus the “Thanks, mom,” from my son was priceless. As a bonus, all my birthday party things are now neatly organized and put away.

And before I forget, I’m really looking forward to participating in the discussion of TNOTB. Take care, Barbara.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Millie, you are amazing. How thoughtful to do so much for two Birthdays. You remind me of when Birthdays were almost like celebrating Christmas in my family. Decorations, dinners, gifts and especially designed cakes.
      You are so right, when doing for others, we do for ourselves.
      I thought you had been writing or researching your book or involved in your volunteer editing.
      Looking forward to TNOTB, too.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

I read the article last week and found it very interesting. I have doubts as to the integrity of all concerned. Regardless of what Harper Lee knows or if she wanted GSAW published, I don’t think the publication will cause her any emotional pain. At least I hope not.

11. Barbara H. Johnson says:

l have read about 1/3 of GSAW plus the last 10 or so pages. It will take a while to digest and formulate my thoughts on the ideas presented.
    I love the fact that all races can meet together, eat together, worship together, live where they wish and marry whom they wish today.
    I have only lived in the South and was educated here. I only know how the rest of America lives from the media, books and people who have lived elsewhere. I know from these sources that the rest of the USA and elsewhere is not inhabited by people who are perfect examples of humanity. Yes, that does sound defensive but is intended as only a statement of fact.
    As to the book itself, a good bit of editing would improve it. I was tempted to reach for a pencil and start notes in margins and strike out or reword parts.
    One of the stressors I was dealing with is reconciled. A member of my group of close friends from Augusta College and UGA had prostate cancer surgery late yesterday. All the signs and the Dr. indicated Stage IV cancer. My husband, a 19 year prostate cancer survivor, has been extremely worried. He usually has no emotion or obvious concern about anything. The cancer was contained, no spreading. He will be fine and is going home today. Robotic surgery is wonderful.

• Julie says:

Barbara – I’m so glad that the surgery went well, and you and your husband can breathe a sigh of relief! Worrying about others, I think, is worse than worrying about yourself – you have no control whatsoever – just the worry…

I was intrigued to see that you read the firs third and the last 10 pages? Making sure it ends okay? My ex-mother-in-law used to always read the last page first of every book. She said it was because she’d once read a mystery, got really engrossed in it, and just at the end, when the detective was about to reveal whodunnit, the last page was missing! But I say she could check to make sure it’s there without reading it, so I think she was making sure she liked the ending before she started….

Millie – love that you did so much for the birthdays – how fun. You’re right – your inner creative child had a field-day and how nice to have her back with you! :D I also like that you have now organized all your birthday things, hee hee. I wish I were as disciplined – to use something and then organize where it goes back to… I’m a “throw it anywhere and I’ll get to it later” kind of girl.

Anna – thanks for the link – I’m off to read now…

• Julie says:

Barbara – I think that there are some stereotypes that are very unfair when it comes to the south. The most vocal people don’t usually represent the majority, so I don’t believe for a second that every southerner thinks that taking down the confederate flag is trying to take away their history. The grace shown by all the citizens of Charleston after the horrible shooting last month shows that the very great majority of southerners are good people, just like everywhere else, and that, just like everywhere else, they have their share of bigots and sinners. No worries – when I think of The South, I think southern charm, southern belles, and southern hospitality. I also think of fried chicken, but that’s just me, hahahaha.

• Millie says:

And sweet iced tea!

• Julie says:

Oh, yes! I still remember the first time I tasted sweet iced tea… In fact, I’m still trying to erase that memory, hahaha. I don’t think it occurred to me that you could GET that much sugar into a glass of iced tea.

12. Barbara H. Johnson says:

Hi, All. I just wanted to say I hope everyone will express their feeling and opinions on GSAW or any other topic. Please don’t be concerned how it will affect me. Nothing will change in my feelings for the Bistro and all. Saying that was probably not necessary but important to me.
    Good thoughts to all.

• Anna says:

It’s always good to say what is important to you. Thanks Barbara but I hope you are not worried that we are judging the South. I think we all understand and appreciate that there is good and bad everywhere. I can’t wait to experience Southern hospitality! And food!

13. Millie says:

Julie, just read about your little accident. So very glad you and all are OK. Your sadness speaks to me of your compassion. I admire your concern and your courage. Me? I do the turtle really well.

I did read the article you linked. Fascinating at first read. But when I thought about it and re-read it several times I began to wonder why the author of the article calls only writers who allow another to ‘edit’ their work a real pro, a real artist. Really? Julie, you love the work of Jane Austin. Do you know, or have you heard rumors of Austin having had an editor? Are there ‘editors’ for other types of artists? Not to my knowledge. They may apprentice with a master or let’s use Clara and Peter as examples of artists who studied their art. Remember how angry Gamache felt when Clara told him of Peter’s derisive comments towards The Three Graces? That Clara needed to work on perspective… Did Gamache, or any of us, think Clara’s ego got in the way of her own creations?

Once on their own, a painter paints, a sculptor chips away. People like their work or not and some are better than others, but there isn’t an entire industry of editors for every art form. Why do only writers need to ‘set aside their ego’? Personally, I think a lot of writers need to set aside their self doubt. What is so honorable in allowing someone else to shape one’s vision, as the author of the article states.

Those were my impressions after reading the article. My feelings on the entire thing mirror yours and Barbara’s. I don’t intend to read Watchman and I hope Ms Lee’s feelings aren’t hurt. Personally, I would feel humiliated if someone got a hold of my rough drafts and published them. To anyone else, they would appear to be chicken scratches of an uneducated person. To me, they are my shorthand to capture the essence of a feeling, a character… Certainly ‘not ready for prime time’.
    And, although you graced me the the title of author, I have not earned it.

I’m going to press post comment without going back to ‘edit’ or this may never appear. Yesterday, I tried many times without success…

• Julie says:

Millie – that’s a fascinating thing to think of. You are right – Jane Austen never had anyone to “edit” her work until after her death. The last two of her regular books were published after her death (Emma and Persuasion), and she left several unfinished manuscripts, some of which, people have added to and published later. I think her brother edited Persuasion because it wasn’t quite ready – I know he changed the name of the book, and that Jane had written two different endings and he chose which to use. Later editions have included both, so the reader can make up their mind, but I think he chose right. Otherwise, I think the books appeared just as she wrote them – her singular vision.

And yet, I think that working with a thoughtful editor CAN make a book better, and from all accounts, it certainly did in the case of TKAMB. I almost imagine that, if the first version were published as is, it would have been a “good read”, but that the Pulitzer Prize would have gone to someone else… Then again, maybe if Ms Lee had been allowed to get into the water of admiration for her writing a little more gradually, instead of being thrown into the deep end with an immediate Pulitzer and thousands of fans, she’d have continued writing… Who’s to say what the best thing would be.

But I do think that, given what DID happen, like you, I’d be upset to have everyone reading and discussing my early draft of something…

As to whether or not an artist can be a true professional unless they are “guided by an editor”, of course, that’s poppycock – I’m only sorry I didn’t see that in the article myself. If that were true, it would only work if editors didn’t work for the people who stand to make the most money from publication… they’d have to be independent, which they’re not. It’s nice to think that the 50’s were a gentler, kinder time when editors had all the time in the world, and the true calling of helping an author to realize their full potential, but it smacks a little of self-serving rhetoric, doesn’t it?

Good catch – I really hadn’t noticed it at all…

• Millie says:

Julie, I’ve been following the rise of an independently published author (Kindle) and how, when his sales were astronomic, he was courted by the big publishing companies. He said no thank you until he struck a deal with one where he kept the digital rights and the publishing company had paper rights. His blog and Facebook posts have been quite educational. Hugh Howey is the author. He writes mostly post-apocalyptic stories, which aren’t my cup of tea, but his writing is wonderful.

Seems the 50’s were a time when publishing houses had editors to really help an emerging author. Those times are rare now. Look at what gets published… big names with a ready audience. There are fewer and fewer ‘debut’ books published. Having that type of in-house editor is no longer cost effective therefore many editors have indeed gone independent.

• Anna says:

Really interesting perspective Millie. I had never thought that it is only writers that have editors. Maybe musicians have producers that flavour their work but it is different in that music is often reinterpreted. Wow, lots to think about. I guess most artists self edit other than published authors. Clara is a good example of someone who might have been destroyed by an “editor”. I was thinking about the Salon des Refus├ęs (hope I got that right?!). I am thinking about the good and the harm that can come from critique.

TKAM is a great book. GSAW is also a good book. Maybe not in the same way as TKAM but it isn’t the same book and Harper Lee obviously learned a lot, either on her own or through working with the editor, in between writing the two. But I am glad to read both. I enjoyed both. They both have something to say and the message is actually quite different.

I don’t know exactly how we came to be reading GSAW but I am not entirely sure Harper didn’t want it read. She did send it for publication initially. I think she didn’t want the rest of what publication brought, the publicity,the intrusion etc. Maybe she feels safe and protected enough where she is to let it go. I hope so.

14. Barbara H. Johnson says:

I just lost a post. My battery died. GSAW was excellent. The dialogue between Jean Louise and Atticus, she and Henry and she and Uncle Jack had me holding my breathe, reading as fast as possible and crying. I had to reread each several times after I finished the book. My heart broke when she went to visit Calpurnia.
    I can hardly believe GSAW was written before TKAM. It was prophetic. Shivers ran over me as I read some passages. I think it is a book that will be enjoyed by many.

• Anna says:

So glad you enjoyed GSAW Barbara. I am interested in what you think about the portrayal of the characters. Did you feel Atticus was still a character of repute? I did. I think we just saw how much harder it was to come to terms with the changes in the world they knew.

I wonder how the morality of 2015 will be judged in the future. As the world changes do we hold history to the same standards as we hold for ourselves? Is it fair to do that?

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

One of the first articles I read about GSAW was titled “Atticus was a Racist”. That caused me to not want to read the book. I feel that Atticus was a person of repute. He knew the danger that some people would take advantage of the African American population and use them to their own advantage. It wasn’t their fault that they were ill-prepared for full participation in governing. I wish I knew how every person, no matter what race, could be an equal participant in citizenship. The wrongs of the past were so grave they seem insurmountable. But solve them we must.
        I am reading more and more about the Confederate Flag issue. Those who support it are very vocal as I knew they would be. Others are demanding all monuments related to the War be destroyed.
        I am not offended by the efforts to remove the flag from public places. It should never have been there in the first place. It does no honor to anyone.
        I doubt that Atticus, Henry and Uncle Jack would be surprised by the controversy.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Holding history to our standards is a question that has long worried me. Not only the history of the US, but world history. I have been told that while no one should approve of the wrongs done in the past, it is unfair to apply our standards to history. I seem to be unable to not apply our standards. How could people not see the wrong. I think people in the future will judge us very harshly and maybe they should. I hope that they will be advanced enough to realize there were people of goodwill who wanted a fairer and more just world as well as those who did not.

• Anna says:

It’s hard isn’t it Barbara. Civilization changes and what was right seems wrong and was wrong seems right through the lens of our time. Maybe the reason people don’t see the wrong in their time is because it isn’t wrong. If you live in a world where purple people are revered and polka dot people are victimized and that is all you have ever known then how do you learn it is wrong? And even if you start to believe that the way the polka dot people are being treated is wrong, what do you do? No one you know believes what you believe. It takes a wave of change,a momentum among many to drive change. Someone has to stand up and risk persecution. Nelson Mandela spent years in jail. Martin Luther King was assassinated.

Thinking for ourselves, making our own minds up in the face of dissent is the difficult thing. Going along with the crowd or what our mentors believe is easier. Because surely smarter people than us they must be. We doubt ourselves, we doubt our beliefs. But even when we do believe something different, it is quite another thing to stand up for that belief. And more often that not the people we have to stand up to are those who taught us, those who love us, those who we love.

The message of GSAW for me, is that we need to go through that process and find our own arguments and strengths. Atticus’s flaws had to be exposed for Scout to become and in her becoming we see Atticus and Jack are proud of who she turns out to be. Atticus’s strength is helping her to “be” even when he cannot.

• Julie says:

This is one of those questions that devils me, too, Barbara. When we look back, we wonder how people could have let all the Jewish people in Europe suffer and be murdered? Yet, how is it that we are now witnessing so many black people suffering and being murdered (albeit, one at a time, for the most part) at the hands of our police? Is it so different? All that is required for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. Are we doing nothing? I FEEL like people are demanding change, and a few in authority are stepping up, but it sure doesn’t seem to be spreading. I wonder, now, how an officer can continue and do the things that have been “accepted” practice now, when the harsh glare of the cell phone camera is upon them all the time? How is it that a routine traffic stop for not signaling a lane change lands a person in jail, makes her feel so bad about herself that she decided to end it all, and she is left alone to do it? I think we WILL be judged harshly, and rightly so…