Nancy, I don’t know Rita Moreno. I will look her up!

How funny, I do know Rita Moreno but not her name. I looked her up and her face was familiar. She was on The Electric Company which I watched when I was a child and I so remember her performance on The Muppets. Such a great voice and a sassy personality! I see she is an amazing entertainer but how cute that I knew her from her children show performances!

3. Nancy, The Clef Argente is beautiful. I noticed the lovely tiles around the fireplaces. The house I grew up in had wonderful tiles around the living room fireplace. Many of the local Victorian houses have breath taking tiles fireplaces.
    Our Anniversaries are family dinners. My sister gave us a grand celebration for our 25th, however.

4. Julie says:

Good to see you all here again. Anna – so happy your Dad is home and happy. I’m sure it must be a lot of work for you, and worry, but wonderful that you can do this for him. I think it’s hilarious that you know Rita Moreno from a children’t show – I knew that lots of big stars did those muppet shows, but forgot that whole generations of people would have been introduced to such talent that way. Rita Moreno is a member of a very small club – people with an EGOT (Emmy – for either Sesame Street or Electric Company, Grammy, Oscar and Tony)

Barbara, I don’t envy you those southern summers! We are having warmer temperatures, but we don’t have the humidity with it (funny, isn’t it, as it’s so wet all the rest of the year – but we basically have a drought every summer). Hot and humid is enough to make a person crazy, I think.

I am feeling all better – maybe a little residual tiredness, but nothing like the fatigue I’d been having. Had a really nice day with girlfriends on Wednesday – stitching and laughing and visiting… those days are wonderful to have.

I’ve made online friends with a writer – she writes what everyone calls “fan fiction” in the Jane Austen vein – she reimagines the stories – if one or more details were different, and writes wonderful stories about the characters. I kind of fell in love with the stories, but in the online venue where they were being published, I could see that nobody was proof-reading her work, so I took a big breath and offered my services. I was worried she’d be insulted, but instead she jumped at the chance. She said she had someone who was proofing, but that they missed most things until after they appeared online, which of course, didn’t do her much good, haha. So I now do quite a bit of proof-reading for her. She has a self-published book coming out soon, and another in the pipeline, being debuted a chapter at a time online, and I am proofing both of those. Lots of fun, though I do feel quite a bit of responsibility now that I’ve put myself forth as someone competent to do this, hahaha. Hopefully, I’ll catch most – I’ve gotten a little used to her consistent errors now – people’s names are never spelled the same way twice, and a few words like “discreet” always spelled “discrete” which of course, is a word, but the wrong one, so auto-correct is no help. A cute meme I saw yesterday was “auto correct has become my number one enema.” At any rate, it’s quite interesting, and keeps me out of mischief.

In the meantime, my business partner and I have come up with a plan to sell the last of our books – we are going to put on a needlework seminar somewhere on the east coast, probably in the fall of 2016. So far, we’ve done nothing but make the decision – there’s lots to do and get organized, so will soon be up to our armpits in that! I feel like I am gaining back some energy to do all these things, and it feels pretty good!

• Julie, Rita Moreno is a long time fav of mine. I don’t remember her from Sesame Street since we had no children and I didn’t see it too often.
      You have volunteered for an interesting job. I’m sure someone with your needlework and making pattern books experience has a keen eye good for proofreading.
      I love the “consistent errors”.
      I’m glad you are getting some energy back……sounds like you have lots of projects.

5. Amy says:

Hello to all at the Bistro! Am sending good thoughts and prayers for peace and healing! I took a hike on a great bike trail in PA today and thought of you all as I passed a field filled with clover and honeysuckle! It was quite intoxicating! I half expected Chef Ve’ronique to come out in her beekeeping gear! I too am rereading TBT; gearing up for TNOTB! Joy and safety to all!

6. Hi to all! The Literary and Historical Society from BYD is featured today! As I have said it is my favorite place. Let’s see what you think. Meantime, I think I’ll have a seat and read a while, or maybe just sit and think. See you there.

7. KB says:

The Lit and His library is perfect. Not what I’d imagined, though. I’d pictured it as being in a smaller building of its own – more like a house. And I didn’t imagine the lovely open ceiling to the second floor. But the rug, the couch, the chairs… exactly what I’d seen in my mind. I can picture Gamache in a chair with Henri at his feet. Bliss.

8. Julie says:

It is a beautiful library, isn’t it? It’s just what I imagined, though not quite as “down-at-the-heels” as I thought.

9. Paul Hochman says:

Hi Gang: Check out Louise’s Facebook Page for a chance to win a MAP OF THREE PINES!!

10. Julie says:

I’m thoroughly into Bury Your Dead now… have just had Beauvoir arrive in Three Pines to investigate, even though he’s told them he is only here for a rest. I found the last few paragraphs of this chapter (4) interesting. As you know, Beauvoir is probably my favorite character, mostly because he is so flawed and complex. Remember that so far, he is sitting among the residents of Three Pines, in the Bistro, having just lied to them about his purpose of being here.

“So there Jean-Guy Beauvoir sat, trying to pretend he liked these people.

But he didn’t.

Jean-Guy Beauvoir didn’t like many people and these ones in Three Pines had given him little reason to change. They were cunning, deceitful, arrogant, and nearly incomprehensible, especially the Anglos. They were dangerous, because they hid their thoughts, hid their feelings, behind a smiling face. Who could tell what was really going on in their heads? They said one thing and thought another. Who knew what racid thing lived, curled up, in that space between words and thoughts?

Yes. These people might look kind and concerned. But they were dangerous.

The sooner this was over, though Beauvoir smiling at them over the rim of his beer, the better.”

I think this is so brilliant. I’d not noticed it the first couple of times I read it, but this perfectly describes Beauvoir, and the “thing” that is curled up inside him, getting ready to strike. I’m in awe of Louise’s power as a writer.

• Julie says:

Ooops – all spelling mistakes are mine, not Louise’s. “Thought” not though, in the last sentence.

• I found this passage thought provoking , when I read it, Julie. Sometimes when I am in a group, I look around at the various people. They are laughing and talking, appearing to be in accord one with the other. I wonder if their thoughts are malevolent and they are only acting.
      Poor Beauvoir, carries the emotional scars of the prejudice he has known.
      As I write this, the TV News is covering the story of the massacre in Charleston, SC. How can a person hate so much. I doubt he even knew any of those he killed.

I think Barbara that it is easier to hate those you don’t know, easier to think them less than human. Lots of killers dehumanize those they slay. It was a terrible event. I saw it on the news here too.

12. Julie says:

I am so sad for my adopted country. All the events on the news in the past months have almost inured us to such violence, and not allowed us to think of each other as individuals. I can see why and how, but it makes my heart sick. President Obama said in a speech that this is another in a long line of tragedies that shows how we need more stringent gun control. He said the same thing after Sandy Hook. I thought for sure, after that, there would be some movement. But no. Rhetoric is fine, and I know Mr. Obama needs to show the need, but he also needs to act. I know he cannot do it unilaterally, but he has made no move at all that I can see to push such a law through. “Guns don’t kill – people kill” is the mantra of those who would preserve the right to carry guns, and yet – I doubt very much if that boy hadn’t had a gun, he’d have done what he did. Multiple killings of people you don’t need to get very close to are a lot easier with a gun than without. For those who think that tougher gun control would make it hard for those who want to hunt, I say that there is only one animal you hunt with a hand gun. For those who think that then, only criminals will have guns – if all these poor, unbalanced children didn’t have guns, so many tragedies would have been averted. And for everyone who has had a child pick up a loaded gun and have it go off, killing either their child or someone else’s – clearly guns DO kill, sometimes. Nobody had murder in their heart in those cases. Still, a child is dead.

Okay – off my soapbox.

Julie, you said it very well. Sometimes a soapbox is needed.

I signed up right away to try to win a map of Three Pines. I love examining the part shown on Louise’s author page; it’s beautifully drawn and I need help with the layout of the area. I’m dying to see the whole map. Another thing to wait for, not so patiently!
    I keep thinking about the last excerpt from TNTB. It seems like a version of past meetings of Gamache with the community, including the one with the monks at the monastery. He always makes a point about looking behind the facades and learning what’s really there. Even though he isn’t working for the Surete any more (or is he?), it looks like he might be getting ready to address a group again.

I have been hoping that the quiet in the Bistro doesn’t indicate problems. Anna, I hope your dad is settling in at home. Getting his strength back is probably taking time and requiring more from you. Take care of yourself and know you have a place to come and be yourself, as you put it so well!

Barbara, your idea to go out early and walk was brilliant. I hope you are doing it, the smells and sights in the fresh morning are hard to resist! And the movement is so powerful. I think of you each morning when I greet the birds and others in our yard. This morning I noticed that the wasps are building a fine new nest under our porch right next to last year’s, even though the old one looks fine to me.

Julie, I’m so glad you are better and getting Your strength back. And I’m impressed beyond words with the editing you are doing. Who would think of contacting a writer to offer editing services?! That was so smart and so brave! When people read about you doing that, I’ll bet some decide to take a chance on something they would like to do. First the printing press and now the Internet have, I think, helped to make the world more of a community.

Millie, are you o.k.? I hope you are well and writing, or at least well and busy. Missing you.

And, I continue to take strength and pleasure from Louise and Michael’s ability to take life a day at a time and gather joy where it comes.

And, Amy, your field of clover and honeysuckle left me smiling. I am especially fond of clover.

I finished my reread sooner than I wanted, but enjoyed all the books so much again. Yes, Julie, I thought the description of John Guy’s thoughts about the people in Three Pines in TBT was masterful too. He’s so funny, sometimes so clueless! And, of course, being human, we can see ourselves in him sometimes!

15. Julie says:

Cathryne – so nice to see you posting again! I check in every morning to see what’s “doing” in the bistro. As I continue my reread of Bury Your Dead, I’m amazed at the food – either the simple stews and baguette that Armand and Emile have at home, or even just the sandwiches they pick up on their way to going through Augustin Renaud’s papers and books… I end up really hungry in the middle of the night, which is a feat, since I’m suffering from some kind of stomach bug right now, and don’t really feel like eating anything!

I can see you, Cathryne, greeting the birds as you greet the day, and you, Barbara, walking in the fresh mornings… it’s only the summertime that I wish I were a morning person. The few summer mornings I’ve seen have been glorious! But, then, the nights have been too, and I see much more of those, hahaha.