Anna, about those degrees, well-said and Amen!

• Anna says:

Thanks Cathryne. I didn’t mean to rant but I am in a place of truly seeing the value in people. Too often we are rated against external markers that don’t tell us anything about what really matters, then we downgrade ourselves unnecessarily.
      I value you all more everyday.

2. Millie says:

Barbara, read the first paragraph of Chapter 10 in Still Life. Louise beautifully addresses the real value of Jane Neal.

• Julie says:

I have worked, and now live, in a world of academia, and I, too, have “only” a bachelor’s degree, and THAT was hard-won, as I did it at night school… So I know what you meant, Barbara – but I agree with Anna, that the next degree wouldn’t make you more intelligent, OR well-read, I believe. You have such great insights into characters and books… The bistro is such a lovely place…

Interesting idea about questions for Louise, Millie. I remember when she was here and I had the opportunity to ask a question, my mind seemed to go blank! Can’t even remember now what I DID ask, or what she answered, hahaha. If I get a “next time”, I’ll poll this group to see what we REALLY want to know.

• Amy says:

Hi to all! I enjoyed all your comments on favorites. My first introduction to Louise was The Brutal Telling; my daughter actually saw Louise here at a Barnes and Noble in small town Pennsylvania years ago, and bought the book. I quickly caught up with the others. I think like Julie, my favorites (yes ; I cannot pick just one!) would have to be the trio of Bury Your Dead, The Beautiful Mystery and HTLGI. They kept me hanging on the edge of my seat! My husband and I were fortunate enough to spend a couple of days in Old Quebec City in Sept. Did a walking tour of the city; beautiful! Missed the BYD tour by 1 day, but lots of Louise info passed along in our tour. Could actually imagine Gamache there! The history is amazing! My child hood friend and I plan on going to Winter Carnivale in 2016! Should be fun. If any of you get a chance to go, I highly recommend Old Quebec City for your bucket list!

• Anna says:

Hi Amy. Quebec City is definitely on my list. We may be in North America Dec 2016 so we might get to Carnavale. Wouldn’t that be amazing. Will let you know if we do.
          A Beautiful Mystery is also right up there on my favourites list. To be fair there is only a whisker in it for most of the books. There is something very special about Bury Your Dead though and the atmosphere of the library and the old city are part of it but also the snow. Love the snow. My favourite seasons are autumn and winter. We are in autumn right now and it’s the colours and the crispness and the curls of smoke in the air. Ok, it’s the food too. Love wintery food.
          I envy your daughter seeing Louise, and you too Julie.

By the way Julie, well done. No degree is easy to obtain and I am sure if you were at night school then you had a lot of other things going on as well as study.

I’ve been looking at the English book cover now shown on Louise Penny’s home page. Quite interesting, I think. Dark vs. bright light centers framed by ovals.

When I look closely at the section of the U.S./Canada cover shown in one of Louise’s posts, I can see more detail than I can in the pictures of the whole cover. I wish we could place a finger on any part of the cover for a close up. The details seem more varied than was first apparent and beautiful.

5. Paul Hochman says:

A new “Real Place” has been posted. Check it out!

6. Barbara H. Johnson says:

Anna, Cathryne, Millie, Julie. Thank you for your positive remarks. You are certainly correct. Degrees do not alter an individual’s value or worth. My Mother was not an ideal parent but she did teach us to value each person as an individual. Her deep Christian faith required this of us.
    Julie, Hats off to you. I admire you. It must have taken determination and great effort to earn a degree by attending night school.
    Cathryne, Thanks for the info on Ruth’s name. Name meanings are surprising. I once looked up, Hightower, a family name and read it meant “one who lived near the high tower”. Okay. Not too much info there.

• Anna says:

Oh dear Barbara, talk about literal when you may have been hoping for something more cosmically mystical! Still, I like the name Hightower. Mind if I tuck that away for future use?

• Julie says:

Oh, isn’t that funny – my Dad’s last name, and therefore, my maiden name is “Hall”. My Dad said it meant that we were probably servants who worked in the great hall, hahaha. So funny – I have gotten to know a few “anachronists” for want of a better term – people who play at being in a different time, like dressing up. They usually choose a name and persona, and it’s NEVER of a servant-girl – always a Lady, hahaha. When I went with the Somewhere In Time people to a garden party for Oscar Wilde’s birthday, there were Lords and Ladys abounding – I think I was the only lowly person there (mostly because I didn’t want to invest in much of a costume). I went as a “shop girl” who once sold Mr. Wilde a pair of doeskin gloves, and accidentaly got invited to his party. I put on my best clothes, which were, of course, my work clothes – a long black skirt and a white lacy blouse and tried my best to blend in. It was great fun – the party was held in a beautiful garden at the home of a couple whose place looked like it was ready for Architectural Digest to arrive for photos. The garden was gorgeous and it was so fun – everyone brought tables, and wicker picnic baskets laden with food and dishes and silverware, and we enjoyed a lovely lunch “en plein air” on the last nice day of the autumn. Really quite a lovely day.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Julie, I just read The Somewhere in Time website. It looks like it would be so much fun. I wish we had a group here. We have attended a Society for Creative Anachronism fair as spectators but not in costume. The Sherlock Holmes week at Cape May, New Jersey interests me too. I like the stories and dressing as a character would be exciting.

• Julie says:

Barbara – these people are so fun, and I have found it very freeing to find a whole bunch of people who like to play “dress-up”, hahaha. I think it’s a sign that we are never going to outgrow the need for imagination and play.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

Sounds good. In my grandparents generation and previously, they seem to have been tall and thin. Daddy’s generation was shorter and mine shorter still.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

I meant to reply to Anna. Oops. This entire day has been out of kilter. Too much going on earlier.

• Millie says:

You did reply to Anna, only so did Julie. So yours shows up under Julie’s not indented beneath Julie’s. Not to worry. But sorry your day feels off kilter… Boy, do I know the feeling! But, “I get by with a little help from my friends”.

That song popped into my head. Have you heard, “Old Man”? If not, I’ll post a link to it after I stop drooling over the photos of the Manor. Someone there posted a link to over a hundred photos. Be still my heart! Get stronger, my back and knees! lol… so many stairs. I don’t do cold or stairs well.

Barbara, you would love the photos of the library at the Manor. I think the library alone is bigger than my entire house! LOL

7. Barbara H. Johnson says:

Mille, I just looked at the photos of Hovey Manor. How beautiful. I could spend hours in the chairs looking out over the water. The grounds are just perfect. Doesn’t the Library make you want to get a book and curl up in one of the chairs ? Oh I know, enjoy the outside in good weather and then nest in the Library during the cold weather. Wonderful.

• Millie says:

I thought you’d like it! I’d still be inside a lot though, Barbara. I seem to be a mosquito magnet, like Jean Guy. lol…

I couldn’t see the pictures without thinking, “Oh, that’s where they set up the incident room…” And on.

While I’m here, I’m reaching the part in book two where Gamache figures out why they called Bea, “Mother”. Makes my think perhaps Louise does look up the meaning of some names, at least.

• Barbara H. Johnson says:

You’re a mosquito magnet, too. I was bitten 4 times last weekend while outside for a short while. Hubby…no bites!

• Julie says:

I was noticing how many pictures at Hovey Mansion were of different times of year, and trying to figure out the best time to go. Blending in with prices (you’d want Low Season for savings) and when it would be most comfortable (for me – it’s all about ME, hahaha) – I’d choose either late spring or earliest possible in the fall. Winter would be too harsh now that I’ve not been in a real winter in 25 years, and the heat and mosquitos of summer would be awful. But I could handle spring or fall very well. The house and grounds are so beautiful – and so like the Manoir in the book, but I’m not an outdoors person at all, so I’d be hanging around the library, or lounging “just outside, but right up against” the house on the verandah, hahahaha.

When I left Winnipeg, (Manitoba’s provincial bird is the mosquito), West Nile disease was unheard of – mosquitos were merely annoying. There are no mosquitos in Seattle, or rather, there are about 5 individual flies who arrive every summer – very slow and dim-witted ones that give you lots of notice before they actually bite. I’d been watching the news and heard that West Nile had just crept into Washington on the eastern border, and then looked up and saw a mosquito landing on my arm. I actually screamed, hahaha. Scared him to death, I think.

• Millie says:

Bitten only four times in an entire weekend? I should be so lucky! Every summer, it seems my body has to build up resistance to their bites. I start with quarter sized welts which overlap. Not a pretty sight. Lol… And like you, Barbara, they don’t touch my husband. So that leaves Spring for me to visit Hovey. I feel like Bean! “Dream on…”

8. Julie says:

The Brutal Telling – I’ve just been to the “dinner party” at Ruth’s house, and I don’t know that we’ve ever talked about that – it was so strange. She was so odd – friendly and polite (though speaking with an English accent), dressed Rosa in a dress for the first time, and served the oddest food. First the canap├ęs – saltine crackers with a smear of peanut butter (at least, they hoped it was peanut butter), then celery sticks stuffed with Velveeta cheese (for those not from around here, that’s a soft, very orange, “cheese food” not real cheese), then round balls of suet rolled in seeds. Lastly, olives stuffed with mandarin orange slices. Dinner was a bowl of canned peaches, bacon, cheese and Gummi Bears. Those who accepted Ruth’s offering of a scotch got a glass-ful poured in their bowls.

On some level, all this is what a child thinks might make a good dinner party. On another level, Ruth seemed almost to need psychiatric help during this episode. Gamache was relieved to hear Ruth, after calling out “Toodle-oo” to everyone as they left, mutter “Fuckers” just as she shut the door. I think this shows that she hadn’t lost her mind, but I’m at a loss as to figure out the meaning of the dinner party. Obviously, gracious hosting is not Ruth’s forte, but still… is this how Ruth normally eats? Can’t be. Or can it? I guess you’ve got SOME vegetables and fruit, peanut butter is probably a nearly perfect food, and if you wash it all down with scotch, maybe it’s palatable (at least, all except the suet balls – they’d need tequila).

I know that one of you will be able to explain this to me, as I am struggling here trying to make sense of it.

9. Barbara H. Johnson says:

I think Ruth was having a joke at everyone’s expense. The English accent, Rosa in a dress, that awful mix in the bowl for dinner, the toodle-oo goodbye and all of it. The saltines and peanut butter is good with hot chocolate. Never tried celery with Velveeta. Suet rolled in seeds? No thanks. Peanut butter stuffed celery would have been OK, too. However, I think she knew exactly what she was doing. Maybe we will find out why Ruth is Ruth in August.

10. Millie says:

I just finished re-listening to A Fatal Grace, so not their yet. But I would venture to agree with Barbara. Ruth doesn’t miss a thing and loves shock value… She’s been deeply hurt at some point(s) of her life and that’s her way of keeping people at arms length so she isn’t hurt again. But she cares deeply for the people in her circle.

• Millie says:

Dang it! Not there yet!

• Millie, Earlier today I suddenly had a thought about Ruth. I had always considered the “hurt” to Ruth was emotional hurt. I wonder if her husband was abusive and she killed him in self defense. Perhaps his belt buckle is what the sun glinted on in the excerpt from the Nature of The Beast. Then again, maybe my imagination is working overtime. We’ll see.

• Anna says:

Excellent thought Barbara!

• Millie says:

Ruth’s poem: “Who hurt you once that you would greet each overture with curling lip? It was not always so. Alas.”

• Julie says:

That poem haunts me, too. I was amazed to find that all the poetry Louise uses already existed – that it wasn’t written explicitly for the books, as it always is exactly the right fit.

Maybe I thought it was just a joke last time I read it, and that’s why it didn’t stop me, but I know that Ruth is sharp as a tack – just wish I had a better handle on this – I can’t help thinking it has a deeper meaning…

• Jan says:

Another thought about Ruth…approximately how old do you think she might be by now? Almost six years ago, Louise remarked about Ruth and ” her extreme age, her limp, and her diabolical temperament” in The Brutal Telling. Currently, it seems we are getting a very ominous build up of sorts about her background and something very terrible happening in TNOTB. Suppose this new book surprises all of us as it unfolds, leading ultimately to an ending of redemption and joy for Ruth? Hard for me to imagine, but Louise weaves truly astonishing literary tapestries. Would hate to lose Ruth , but then maybe there might be a way for her to haunt future stories, lol. Bet she would love that….

• Anna says:

Not sure how old Ruth is but she was still leading the volunteer fire brigade a while ago! For all her outward age she is spry in mind and spirit

11. Paul Hochman says:

I urge you all to have a look at the comment And history Bob Heath left over on the “Hadley House” post. Fascinating!

12. Anna, How are your Mother and Father ? My 104 year old Mother-in-Law went to a nursing home yesterday. Her mind was good until about 1 1/2 years ago. Then the dementia became worse. She would remain the same and suddenly a swift downward spiral. Hers was different from any case I have observed. Hubby’s sister could not manage any more even with Health Care coming 3 times a week.
    On a happier note, it is a beautiful day here with a very welcome cool breeze. We are attending a Memorial Day event today. Memorial Day is Monday when we honor the dead from all our wars. There are still some observances for individual wars and days when we honor our vets. Isn’t Peace a beautiful word, both as an absence of warring and also peace within each of us. May we all have that inner peace at least.

Hi Barbara. I am impressed that your mother in law was able to stay at home for so long. Your husband’s sister must be an amazing person. Mum does a similar thing with decline in steps. She is remarkably bright still even after 9 years with dementia….she stubbornly clings to what she can, even showing new learning which I find phenomenal. Mum has enjoyed having my sister here to visit although she isn’t always sure who she is.

Dad is still in hospital making some progress in the last couple of days. The big concern is that he can not roll over in bed or get himself in and out of bed. He can’t walk yet or feed himself either but that is coming. The physio wants until next week to make a determination about whether we can get him stronger. Dad is desperate to come home with me but a facility is also looking possible.

I am feeling emotionally wrung out but my sister has been helping during the week which is great.

I send you peace and the hope of many cool breezes for Memorial Day.

Anna, I’m so sorry to hear about your dad’s mobility difficulties along with pneumonia. I know how this can be, but I’m glad the physio is giving decisions some time.

I wonder if your mother feels a connection with your sister, her daughter, even when she doesn’t know why. How wonderful that your mother has been able to show new learning, as it seems people can better thrive when they can learn.

Breathe deeply and know that you are receiving caring, supportive thoughts and wishes.

• Anna says:

Thank you Cathryne. I doubt I would be still going without everyone’s kind and supportive thoughts and wishes.

Mum definitely is connected to my sister even when she has no idea who she is. This morning they were cuddled up on the couch and laughing. It was a lovely moment. I store up those gorgeous minutes and remember them when things are tough.

We have been watching the tornados and severe weather. I hope all affected are staying safe.

Anna, I’m glad you shared the beautiful picture of the moment between your mother and sister. It sounds joyous and real! How wise you were to imprint that picture on your mind. And on our minds too, we can all use the smile that it brings.