1. Diane S says:

Thanks for the warm welcome, Julie. I made a couple of posts in the “tour” page, too. My local library just started a mystery book club this past Jan (Burbank’s Buena Vista Branch in California). I introduced them to Louise Penny’s series with our Feb book. I just checked out their mystery blog and found this very interesting website. Will let the group know about this site, too; we meet again this coming Tues.

From our Library’s website http://deathinthestacks.blogspot.com/ It allows people to sent recommendations for new mystery books.

If I may, (LOL, you guys have no choice since I’m going to post anyways) two years ago I discovered a fabulous mystery writers’ conference called Left Coast Crime. Its held during the first quarter of the calendar year in Western North America, as defined by the Mountain Time Zone and all time zones westward to Hawaii.

I was so fortunate and found them and went to this location http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/2014/ On top of, I was able to meet, talk with (briefly) and get a hug from Louise, who was the Intl Guest of Honor that year. I wasn’t able to attend the gathering in Portland this year, but am a little bit involved behind the scenes for Phoenix. I wont go into detail here since its all at the websites, but its the most author-friendly experience. Its fascinating to see authors attending the panel discussions to learn more about their craft from other authors. And, yes, Louise attended 2 or 3 panels (that I know of) and was on a couple of panels herself. When I find my notes from her conference interview, I’ll post them. I do remember that Gamache’s good qualities are based on her husband. That’s all I can remember at the moment so don’t want to post anything wrong or misleading.

Here is a great article about LCC and why one should attend –

Annie and Millie are you writing mysteries? I ask because this conference has a “meet the new authors” breakfast for first time published and you are eligible to sign up to be on a panel. Except for the guests of honors, everyone pays their own way whether an author is on a panel or not.

2. Diane S says:

Yes, Millie, I’ve read them all and have introduced Louise to many people.

LOL, not to worry, understand this type of blog is just for people to enjoy themselves. :-)

3. Diane S says:

I think the cover is wonderful, too, and agree with your “It beckons one to enter and explore, while alarms are going off simultaneously to be cautious. Brilliant!” The outdoorsy nature is inviting to walk through, but the darkness is a warning to beware. And look at the double meaning of the title – Nature as shown with the framework of the plants, but also “the nature of” http://www.yourdictionary.com/in-the-nature-of

And, what or who is “the beast” – inner demons or just a nasty person (killer)?

Okay, questions for everyone: about Clara – do you think this new man will continue to be in her life? Do you want this new man to be in her life? I won’t post why Clara may have a new man in her life so not to spoil it for others who may find and participate and not read all the books, yet, but I think its okay to talk about the new guy she met.

• Julie says:

Oh, miss Clara. I want very much for her to HAVE a new man in her life, but not this one! I don’t trust him. I can’t put my finger on why, other than that he seemed so sly and secretive in TLWH. I think that Louise meant for us not to trust him, but that may have just been a red herring… and certainly, the end of TLWH seemed to indicate that Clara was okay with him. I ought to trust her judgment, but there’s something about him…. I also kind of think that maybe Clara needs to be alone for awhile longer to really get comfortable with herself. Even though she had that year, for a lot of it, she was still thinking herself “with” Peter… Of course, I don’t know what will happen – Louise is very good at doing the opposite of what I think she’ll do with the characters, so who knows? This new man may turn out to be the salt of the earth, hahaha.

4. Diane S says:

@Anna – terrible sorry it was time for mom to go into a facility. I’m caretaker for my mom these last 3 years. She has early dementia with severe memory loss. She has only up to 3 minutes of memory. I’m an only child and am very blessed that she is still knows who I am and who she is.

5. Diane S says:

The cover – upper, left hand corner… could that be honeysuckle? IMHO, the rest just seems your normal “normal” growth walking through a forest.

Hi Diane. We love new people. So glad you dropped in and welcome.

I have great empathy for you looking after your Mum. I had my mum with me for four years but it became very draining so it was time for a facility. I still have dad with me.

There are no good solutions to the problem of demented elderly. There are still days when I want to take her home again but I know it won’t work.

Julie, such a sad story about your stepdaughter. That is even harder in so many ways. They have recognised that problem in Australia and are opening some specific places for young people who need care but of course they are very limited.

A friend and I were talking yesterday about moving in with friends as we get older and hiring a nurse!

Love the cover. Very spooky indeed…I kept thinking “Into the Woods” Millie! The dark heart of the forest. But as to plant identification…….hah, no way.

Clara’s new man Diana…good topic. I hate change so have an instant recoil from him but I suspect that is just my reticence in part. I think a new character will bring new interest and great speculative fun from us. I must say that I was looking forward to seeing Clara grow in her independence for a while longer and discovering who she can be without Peter.

Anna, I agree, Clara needs more time to develop her independence and, I think, a sense of who she is. Even though I am interested in Marcel Chartrand, she needs time before starting a new romantic relationship. During the year Peter was gone, Clara was independent but not independent.

Diana, I thought I might be seeing some honeysuckle too. I find it overpowering and almost suffocating. Some people love it. Interesting already!

Re: Clara being independent but not when P. was gone. It felt like his shadow hovered.

I know exactly what you mean Cathryne. She was in waiting so to speak so not fully free to be anything she might have desired to be. Unlike Peter, I felt she was tethered while he was free to roam and explore.

11. Millie says:

So many things I want to comment on… But seems my computer is sick. Road trip tomorrow to take it to ‘urgent care’.
    Anna, Into The Woods didn’t even occur to me. Duh! :-D
    Diane, great comments & questions. I liked Chartrand…
    Others… Chomping at the bit. I see good stuff in store for us all.
    Till my computer is healthy again….

12. Diane S says:

I don’t remember – do the Villagers know about Peter (very end of story) and/or Chartrand? If not, I can’t wait for Ruth’s reaction. LOL! I’m gonna have to reread the last chapter.

The villagers know. They bought him home. Chartrand came but I don’t think the villagers met him as he stood at the back and left early.

Millie, I do hope the computer recovers with appropriate attention.

I was thinking about The Nature of the Beast. It doesn’t necessarily imply evil. We use the phrase to say it’s to be expected as it’s the nature of the beast, meaning acting to type.

I suspect there will be many layers of meaning alluded to in the end.

15. Millie says:

Hello Anna et al, I’m not sure the road trip was successful yet. I can access the Internet but no email, messages or even Facebook on any device. When did I get so dependent on these things? Thank heaven the Bistro doors are always open!

Anna, I think there will be many layers throughout.
    Julie, so many good things, but be patient, yes I know it isn’t a race. ;-)
    I know I brought this up before but I still wonder if the missing ‘boy’ might not be Bean. Louise does place clues far in advance. Bean loved reading his book on mythological creatures. And his/her was thinking of changing his/her name. The Morrows can be considered to have ‘Beastly’ behavior… And what child isn’t drawn to exploring. Plus Ruth takes a liking to those most hurting, the Quint, Jean Guy… the duck! Interestingly we’ve been talking a lot about sence of place, sense of identity: what kind of sense of identity would Bean have? Wouldn’t that child eventually have an identity crises? Bean seems to like the Gamache’s and Clara, but children have an uncanny sense of gravitating to kind souls. I think Ruth has a very kind soul under her fasçade of curt dismissal. She and Bean would hit it off well, I think. But Louise does surprise!

My day is ending, others will soon start theirs. Have a great one.
    BTW: Diane, what general time zone are you in?