1. Julie says:

I can’t wait for the synopsis to come out, too – though it might just end up being such a tease… I have loved reading about the books you’ve been contemplating for your daughter, Anna. I agree that our childhood self is still “there” under a lot of baggage, sometimes. Our pure selves, I think of those children – before office politics and the drudgery of work came along. I am always delighted to catch of glimpse of the little girl I used to be.

One more day for the synopsis.

Yes, I like my childhood self. It’s good to remember that childhood wasn’t all beer and skittles though. Helps me when my daughter has a bad day. The dramas of youth were so huge when they happened. Mind you, with what I know now, I would gladly deal with some of those rather than the politics of adulthood! Other things not so much. Do remember how cruel kids could be? I think Stephen King remembers the fears of childhood as that comes across in some of his books. And in mine.

Editing on my novel has slowed as the new one I want to write seems more exciting than the hard work. If I had a way to show you all, but not the whole world my book, I would use it. I have shown a couple of people and they enjoyed it. In many ways that is mission complete….wrote a book and it was read and enjoyed. All else is cream

• Julie says:

Anna – that’s the thing to hold onto – that you have accomplished the goal already – written a book, had it read and enjoyed by people! There has to be a way to put it up online in a private forum that can only be read by those invited. Of course, you’d need to trust all those you invited…

• Anna says:

Thanks Julie. It would basically be you guys. I am sure there is a way but still thinking. If I put a link here then anyone can access. Maybe password protected with a the password a clue from a Louise book……mmmmm…….bit like a treasure hunt!

Anna, maybe you will actually BE more ready to complete the editing on your first book when you have written the second. Interesting idea, anyway.

That’s a thought Cathryne. I can actually develop the characters more and see if that changes how I perceive them in the original story. I imagine they become more limber over time, less stiff. They don’t feel stiff per se but even thinking about the second story they are becoming more known to me. Mind you part of the attraction of reading a series is watching the characters grow and change so not sure I would alter too much in the first book but I do like how you are thinking. I am in no rush but I do want to fulfill my promises to let you, the team, see it. I think it is wonderful that you are inspiring.

• Julie says:

I think that’s a great idea. I remember Louise saying that when she finally got an agent the first thing she had to do was to have three books written so they could be shopped to publishers. I think that would allow for lots of story development and character development to be fully underway while it can still be edited…

I am more than anxious to read it, but I will be patient. This is new territory! It seems to me that you have come amazingly far already.

Just read Louise Penny’s posting of the plot of her new book. I love it!

7. Paul Hochman says:

Go here to read the full description of THE NATURE OF THE BEAST: http://smarturl.it/NatureDescription

8. Barbara H. Johnson says:

It sounds wonderful!!!! What more could we want? Placed in Three Pines with Ruth playing an important role. I’m searching my brain to try to think of some tie-in from another book. A book far back I think. Thanks LP, Can’t wait.

I have visions of lurking evil like the Hadley House but wonder if this evil will have a physical presence!

We have been crying out for more Ruth backstory. Looks like we were heard.

Now its even harder to wait. Not sure I should be wishing this year away even faster as it is flying by already.

I am not sure if we have had this link before, and hopefully it works, but it is an audio interview with Louise. I hadn’t listened to it previously and I apologise if someone else posted it and this is a repeat but it had loads of insight into her work. Maybe the newbies or floaters who visit will enjoy too.

• Julie says:

Thanks, Anna – this was very interesting. It also opened up a You-tube page with lots and lots of interviews and things with Louise, that I will have to work my way through. The speakers on my computer are terrible, so often I can’t hear them properly, but there are a few that are plenty loud enough, and this was one!

There are a lot of links to different videos and this audio on Louise’s website as well. I always find her a joy to listen to, very practical and down to earth, very us and so inspirational. More so because she doesn’t set out to be, she doesn’t hail herself as a guru. She is simply a thoughtful and remarkable person.

12. Sonia says:

I have enjoyed the 6 out of all the Three Pines books, they have not been in sequence. My first one was “How the light gets in” and it got me hooked. I find the books interesting and really love the comedic dialogues. I would like to see all of them on books on tape, it is easier for some of us. I do not do Kindle so the actual DVDs are great. Keep writing them.

13. Julie says:

Hi, Sonia – welcome! I think that all of Louise’s books are available on tape, all with the same great voice speaking them. Sadly, Ralph Cosham passed away late last year, so a new actor is being sought to read the books now. I know that others have mentioned how beautifully he read the books – I haven’t heard them myself. But you ought to be able to find them all so far, very readily. They are wonderful, aren’t they?

Hi Sonia.
    The audio books are available on Amazon to buy as CDs. Any computer device can dowload the Kindle software for free and you can then buy Kindle books if you need to. It is useful if you are traveling or need to enlarge the font size. You can also download Audible from Amazon. It’s a subscription service but you can purchase audio books through it and cancel the subscription at any time. These are just some options to keep in mind.
    Most of us love having print copies of Louise’s books but it isn’t always practical. I became interested in her books while on a cruise ship and the little shop on board didn’t stock her books. They did have Internet so I was able to buy the Kindle versions. I obviously have no will power because I coul not wait to keep reading!

I know lots of you are into knitting and needlework etc. thought you might like this, proof all those activities are good for you. Well, I am sure you knew that but here is an even greater excuse to put down that dishcloth and take out the knitting needles.

• Julie says:

Oh, I KNEW I was doing something right, hahaha. Though I don’t knit, I do lots of other needlework. I’ve actually heard that knitting can put you in a Zen state because once you really get into a rhythm, you can free your mind for other things…