1. Julie Buck says:

Barbara, so glad you are here – never meaning that you must feel compelled to post when you’re not “feeling it” – just happy to have you seated here by the fire with us. I, too, have wondered why more people have not been discussing AGR. I can almost see that since we all know each other here, they may be put off, but not on the other page Paul put up special for discussion. I halfway wondered if people didn’t feel like talking because they are wanting to be respectful of Michael’s death. In which case, I’ve been hoping it will pick up in a week or so…

2. Julie, I think you are right. It is an unusual situation. LP has been so forthcoming and has shared Michael’s journey with us. Her beautiful words touch us because they come from her heart.
    I do hope that some who have entered into the discussion will again. I enjoy seeing, that while we read the same words, sometimes another person can see an event from an entirely different aspect. I learn so much that way and it is fun too.

She talks about the process Gamache goes through of What Next which we relate to strongly in this house currently. She also talks about where the character of Amelia comes from.

Millie wants me to tell you all that she is thinking of you but she has had eye complications after her surgery and she can not use the computer for a while. I told her we would be thinking of her and sending healing thoughts.

5. Good thoughts to you, Millie. Hope your eyes are better soon and that you are safe from Matthew.

6. Julie Buck says:

Oh, Millie, I’m so sorry to hear this! I hope that they are able to quickly resolve it. I can certainly relate – I know for sure some day I’ll not really “have” my eyes anymore, and it’s one thing to know and have lots of time to prepare, and another thing to suddenly be plunged into this situation!

Speaking of Matthew, Barbara – are you anywhere in it’s path? I hope not – I know it’s mostly coastal regions, and I have a feeling (based on who knows what?) that you are more inland in Georgia… I expect maybe some wind and rain but nothing dire, but you never know with these storms… How I’d like to shake the members of Congress who have said there is no such thing as global warming! I can’t believe they really think we get “the storm of the century” every few years, but it’s business as usual!

To add to the drama in Millie’s life she sent a very quick note to say they are evacuating. Holding her in our thoughts and prayers. You too Barbara. Not sure if the storm will cross your path but it is supposed to hit Georgia too. I am glad Pete is on the other side of the country and heading home for a week.

8. I’ve watched the weather channel on and off today. I realized this afternoon Millie would have to evacuate. We may get high enough gusts to bring down more of the older trees. A tree fell early in the Summer at Carol’s causing damage to the fence and destroying a storage building. Another fell from the same neighbor’s yard two weeks ago. She had to have the limbs removed. I looked today and another tree is leaning and will fall if there is much wind. It looks like it might fall in its own yard. A young family with a baby are renting as the owners had to go to a nursing home. The law considers a tree falling to be an “Act of God” and where it falls that property owner is responsible for the damage. The property owners behind Carol need to attend to their trees I think.
    We may have some flooding in the low lying areas as usual but not much.
    I feel so sorry for the people of Haiti. They have nothing and keep being damaged by storms.

Trees are scary. We had one fall down at our last house and two here. One was small so no problem but the other was actually a huge part of a nigh ours tree.
    I hope everyone stays safe. This is certainly a major weather event and I am following it as best I can. Best wishes to you and Carol.

10. Julie Buck says:

Yikes – trees can cause so much damage, and there’s often no way to tell which way they’ll fall! If one is leaning, it ought to be cut down, but of course, there are probably others that don’t show any signs of doing anything. Watching and hoping this storm mainly passes you by, Barbara. Millie, if you’ve evacuated, then you probably can’t hope for the same… Let’s just hope the damage is not very much, and that you’ll soon be heading home to find all is okay. At least we know you will be okay – it’s smart to get away when you can.

11. Peg H. in Wisconsin USA says:

We had a huge old maple tree in the yard to the west of the house – right where any bad winds would push it on the old part of the house, porch, and and front door. Finally took all the limbs off a few years ago and just the trunk is left for the birds. What a relief.

12. Peg H. in Wisconsin USA says:

I had an interesting Three Pines-ish experience with our two Border collie pups this morning. They are litter brothers and 3 1/2 months old. I put my backpack and a bag with work stuff on the porch and went back in the house to get my water bottle. I came back out and the bag with work stuff was gone. The pups had dragged it away and everything was scattered around. One was trying to open a yogurt carton from my lunch.

The only thing left in the bag was the copy of Still Life for the start of my reread of the series. I told Chip (Paul’s pup) he was a good boy since he didn’t hurt the book and the yogurt carton wasn’t damaged. His brother Dale (my pup) was watching and I expect he was the one that started the trouble. I recovered everything okay and put the bags in the car. Won’t make that mistake again. Could have been worse!

Cute story Peg. Good pups for not touching the book.
    Following news and weather and thinking of everyone in Mathew’s path. Millie said she evacuated and would try and let us know but no word yet. It meant she didn’t get treatment for her eyes sadly.

14. Millie says:

Hello everyone, we are safe in Southwest FL. A friend of Mike’s coworker lives in our area so keeping us informed of conditions around home. All’s well. Kennedy Space Center is AOK, too. Just waiting for bridges to reopen to the barrier islands so we can go home to life as normal. :-D
    Sorry the weather reports have scared so many people. Ratings seem more important than truth I guess. My mom, in CA, was frantic. Poor thing…

As for my eyes, one day I’m seeing better than since I was 12, the next week… WTF??? The blood veins to my eyes are getting blocked so not enough oxygen to some areas which have lost vision already. No known cure but they can try to slow its rapid progression. I’m really glad I already am used to audio books. After my initial freaking out moment, I’m calmer.
    Incredibly sad but resigned.

Trying to be grateful for all the wonders I have seen, especially my granddaughters. Stay positive and enjoy all the little things we usually take for granted.
    That’s all I can manage for now.

Except a special THANK YOU, PAUL for enriching our lives by creating a space where new friendships were born.

Much love and gratitude to all.