Gamache Goes Abroad – Bury Your Dead

This week, Gamache heads to the Far East with the Chinese edition of Bury Your Dead. At first glance, the covers look wildly different: the Chinese version features a wreath of flowers on a black background, while the original US edition shows leaves falling onto white snow. But a closer inspection reveals similar symbolism. Both covers employ the use of a blurred effect, which could allude to the blurred lines between fact and fiction as Gamache investigates his latest case.

And both covers portray foliage, in various states of decay. Perhaps a nod to the title of the book itself?

Just as foreign publishers will design new jackets for a book in their market, sometimes we’ll create an alternate look for different US editions as well. Take a look at our mass market edition of Bury Your Dead. Of the three, which do you prefer? What similarities do you see between the two US editions? What differences?

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – Bury Your Dead

1. Jen says:

I prefer the North American cover. There can’t be a story set in a Quebec City winter without snow and ice. The maple leaves poking through is a nice touch.

2. Julie V says:

How come all the above readers know what this book is about? I won’t get mine until August and I pre ordered it. I was sure after the last book that this one would be set in Paris because Jon Guy was going there to live there with Gamashe’s grand kids.

• Terri Maracle says:

They are referring g to the older book, Bury Your Dead, not the new book ( set in Paris) which comes out September 1st.

3. Sylvia says:

I prefer the US version. It signifies the area and time of year where the crime takes place like almost placing you right into the scene

4. Lynn Robinson says:

This is the book that brought me into the series! I was attracted by the (U.S. hardback) cover and title first (❤️ those in the snow). When I saw that it was set in the Québec region and featured a French speaking detective, I had to purchase it. From that moment on, I was hooked. As a French teacher in the U.S., I’ve had the good fortune to visit Montréal, Québec City and a bit of the St. Laurence river area and reading this book was like taking a trip back AND meeting some unforgettable characters. And with the new book set in Paris, I feel as though I’ll be returning to France with family. Vive Gamache!

5. Mary Elizabeth Walsh says:

I prefer the North American version. There is more depiction of Canada.

6. Terri Maracle says:

My book shows a figure walking away and into a snowstorm. I believe it is the Canadian edition.

7. Pat Thibodeau says:

I prefer the US edition too for its ambiguity — nothing is ever as clear as it seems in your story lines or for the Gamache character!

8. Linda says:

Neither cover would attract my attention in a bookstore. My own paperback (always paperbacks for me, so I’ll wait to buy the book set in my own “hometown”) is the one with the lone figure on the plains of Abraham in the snow…