1. Iris Blumenthal says:

I am listening to Kingdom of the Blind and must have missed the reason Gamache has difficulty understand Billy Williams. Others seem ot understand him. Thank you for any insight.

• Marietta says:

I wondered about that as well, particularly since Billy obviously understands him quite well. I thought maybe if Billy lived in the country, his accent was different enough for a non-native speaker to have difficulty. I am relatively fluent in French but can have enormous difficulties understand some accents…..including Quebecois! Especially if the speaker does not live in a city…….

2. Anne Smitha says:

Hello Bistro friends! I’m new to this conversation but not new to Three Pines. I just finished Kingdom of the Blind….breathtaking! I wanted to ask here if anyone would please remind me of Armand’s ‘4 truths or confidences?’….I don’t know, I need help, I’m sorry, and…..? I’m stumped. And oh how Matthew 10:36 rings so true, sadly too many times. Where did Louise get these two unique mantras? Thanks for help and so nice to meet you all.

• Iris Blumenthal says:

the third one is I was wrong

• Cindy Fanning says:

In some of the books, Chief Inspector Gamache tells new agents the four sayings that can lead to wisdom – four sentences his own mentor taught him. What are they?

I was wrong
      I’m sorry
      I don’t know
      I need help

• Cindy Fanning says:

I copied that piece from a page. I too would love to know how or why these statements and 10:36 are so important to Gamache, and therefore Louise.

Easy to lose my way between the books. Amazing how a new book brings me back to a stable path to follow. Those mantra’s ring too true.

3. Marietta says:

Hi. I am new to the site (just found it today). Never order audio books but you folks have convinced me to maybe give it a try.

4. E A Smith says:

Hello: I am a native Northern Californian and unfamiliar with the French Canadian language. I would like to know how to send a request to the author/publisher to add a page to the books with illustrations as how to pronounce the characters’ names and a glossary to the most commonly used French words/phrases used in the books.
    I read at night snuggled warmly in my bed and do not want to trek to my laptop in my office to google the words. In fact, I googled “whale oil beef hooked” and found nothing. I am unfamiliar with the colloquialism of Canadian provinces. Thank you!
    P.S. Just finished Kingdom of the Blind and cannot wait for the next Gamache story. Is it pronounced GA-MA-SHAY?

5. rana willit says:

What is the connection of the girl in the red hat and isabelle lacoste? (kingdom of the blind)

6. Meg Eberle says:

Whose daughter is the little girl in Kingdom of the Blind and why is Gamache so consumed with her. Will this be developed more in the next book, or will she be a minor character,0.

7. Cynthia Griffin says:

Kingdom of the Blind
    Who is the young girl with red cap who is on the Montreal streets with
    the druggies. Why is she there. Who does she belong to? Amelia first
    notices her/Gamache rescues her.

8. Barbara Elliott says:

love to hear some thoughts on the lemon meringue pie, billy williams, divine intervention theme that has turned up in a few books. Why lemon meringue pie?

9. Abbie says:

Hello All,
    So glad I am not the only one wondering about the young girl in the red cap! At first I thought it was a figment of Amelia’s imagination, but then Gamache rescues her. Still wondering about her.
    Anyone else think she may be the daughter of Anita Facial?

• Marnie says:

I thought the little girl was imaginary at first too. I still think she represents the tragedy of how drug addiction destroys youth and innocence, maybe specifically Amelia’s youth and innocence, though I realize that she is also a real character. I don’t think she is Anita Facial’s daughter, since Anita did not ask Gamache to save her when he asked Anita what he could do to help, then he later paid Anita to find her and keep her safe until he could rescue her. Knowing how Penny’s plots work, I do think the little girl will turn out to have a connection to someone in the books that we already know. I’m curious about why Isabelle is fostering her and where that will lead.

• Eloise says:

I think Isabel is fostering her because she wanted to take care of her, just like Gamache wanted to take care of her when he saw her. I think it is a natural human emotion to rescue a helpless child.

• Eloise says:

I think Anita is a guy

10. Ann Behrer says:

Hello, I’m new to this blog, not sure it is even still up as the last post seems to be 4 yrs old. I’m going to try anyway. I just finished Trick of the Light and was wondering if anyone knew what was meant by the line on page 320 that says, “ he also wondered if anyone else had caught what he had.” It is Gamache doing the wondering after Pinneault has spoken. What did he notice?
    Thanks Annie

11. Ann B says:

My great mistake, I was looking at the wrong page, I now see the last post was less than 2 weeks ago. Love the posts I’m reading!

12. Jan says:

I have just finished the series of these fantastic books, but I did not read them in the order written. Somewhere I have missed what happened to Peter. I know he and Clara were separating for a year, but what happened after the year? Can anyone let me know which book his final story is in?

13. Eloise says:

After reading Kingdom, I can’t figure out how Hugo set up the fraud with clients who thought they were hiring his brother w/o his brother knowing. Remember Tony found out because one of his fake clients thanked him. So the client knew who Tony was. How did Hugo manage this, when he is not even at the same firm? Am I missing something?

14. Delores Sorensen says:

I was disappointed in how the conflict between Gamache and Olivier was resolved (not completely) in “A Trick of the Light”. The reader was left with Olivier extremely upset at Gamache, but in the next novels, he’s friends? I would have liked to see more on that relationship.