1. Bonjour.
    Three Pines reminds me of Brigadoon. My parents lived in Sutton.PQ for 30 years after retirement. There are many many hidden roads, off the beaten track. It was always fun to explore those byways.
    I know the area quite well travelling there many many times to visit my folks during those years.
    Now each is buried in the cemetery on the hill in Sutton.
    I can hardly wait for the next Gamache book. Gamache reminds me of my stepfather and my father-in-law.now on the ‘other side’ many years.

2. Marion Thompson says:

As a born and bred Montrealer, I have loved the familiarity of the settings and the bilingual flavour Louise has tapped so effectively. Over my life I have spent a lot of time in the Townships, including Brome Lake and Knowlton, and it is a special pleasure to be able to place the action in that lovely part of the country. Early in the summer I bound up the entire series and passed them along to my step-daughter who lives near Montreal and who I hope will find them as addictive as I have. I’m eagerly awaiting ‘Kingdom of the Blind’.

I think we are all eagerly awaiting Kingdom of the Blind. Haven’t been here in a while but I did get to Knowlton and there are indeed liquorice pipes for sale. Danny and Lucy have a beautiful bookstore and a dedicated Three Pines corner where you can find the merchandise. They also have a “few” non Three Pines books and items which I can also highly recommend.
    The postcards are lovely Paul. Thank you. If you are around in NY on Sept 20th I have a hug I owe you.

• Paul Hochman says:

Sorry I missed this, Anna. Been have trouble seeing these until now.

• Anna says:

No problem Paul. I might be back in December. Last chance before I return to Australia. I did walk past the Flatiron building and wave to you.
        Are you going to be in Knowlton for the launch? We were lucky enough to get tickets!

4. Julie says:

How fun to drop back in here and see a few comments and people waiting patiently for The Kingdom of the Blind… When I first read Still Life I was struck by how Canadian Louise’s voice is in the books. As a Canadian girl born and bred and transplanted to my now forever home in Seattle, it was the sound of home to me…

For those of you new to the Bistro – there’s a funny thing that happens when you start reading – it keeps trying to “reset” to the first page – we are on page 139 now – been talking since 2014, though sometimes with long gaps in between. It’s so fun to come to a little community that loves Gamache and re-reads every so often and loves to talk about it all…

The Townships are every bit as beautiful as Louise paints them in words. We loved visiting there a few weeks ago and hope to return if time permits.
    Such an interesting comment Julie…about Louise sounding Canadian in her write. The voice of the author is so important. Especially so when her love of place and sense of home is such a vital component of what makes the Three Pines books special.

Pouring rain, dark and cold in DC. Perfect a bistro weather. I need a croissant and a mocha please Gabri….

7. Vicki Montgomery says:

While in B & N, an employee suggested Still Life. I am reading book five after only a couple months…the work Penny Louise does is like an old friend.

Yes and yes Vicki. I love Canada and wish we had a Bistro in real life but we do love the virtual Bistro. Pull up a chair by the fire (it tends to be winter a lot in this Bistro), sup the beverage of your choice and feel you are among friends. Louise has created a real world which we enjoy and we are grateful.
    Well done to that B&N employee by the way…let’s raise our mugs to them!

9. Sharon says:

Please tell me who is the inspiration, or the actaul person, for Ruth Bardo?From what source does the catual poetry come ?
    I can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

Hi Sharon. Louise has said that the poetry of Ruth is from Margaret Atwood. I think she also uses some Robert Frost in her books but have at look at Atwood, in particular Morning in the Burned House. I saw that somewhere.
    As for her inspiration for Ruth, that I do not know. She certainly is a favourite character for so many of us, perhaps because she is tough and independent yet achingly fragile at the same time.
    Great question though…does anyone remember Louise answering it?

11. Ann Mueller says:

Waiting not so patiently for the release of Kingdom of the Blind. I have however my ticket for December 1 for the book signing in St. Louis! My friend and went last time for Glass Houses and we had such a great time. Especially when Louise was asked what character she thought she favored as herself…I had to give my opinion and say Ruth! We all need a Ruth and a croissant from the bistro!

12. Kathy Gordon says:

I have tickets to see the Louise Penny speak in Tampa November 27. Very excited. I think the allure of Three Pines is particularly strong for me because it is so different from Florida. When I grow up, I want to be Clara!

Congratulations to everyone is going to see Louise. It really is worth it if you can.

Um Paul…any chance you can see what has invaded this site?

15. whoah this weblog is wonderful i like studying your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You understand, many persons are hunting around for this info,
    you can aid them greatly.