I used the word magic today Barbara to describe my day skiing on the mountain. It seemed magic because it was perfect and perfect doesn’t normally show up in my life all that often. Three Pines is pretty close to perfect so that may be why it seems magical…a beautiful place with interesting and caring people, great food and peace. I think that is something I found on the mountain too…peace. It was sunshine and snow and freedom from television and news broadcasts. Three Pines has that too. A sense of being isolated from the concerns of the world and an emphasis on simpler things.
    So many good things to think about Julie. I think I remember that Louise didn’t have the story arc at the beginning but surprisingly early she knew where HTLGI would go. I can’t imagine the current storylines developed until much much later. Maybe she always knew Annie and Jean Guy would marry, but did she know about the addiction? I suspect she had an idea that Gamache would grow beyond his initial role as she has talked many times about how Poirot was a character that did not grow and change and Agatha Christie tired of him. That is one of the great things about Three Pines, the characters do evolve but not so far that we lose touch with their essential being.

2. Julie Buck says:

Finished with my reread, and I’m amazed at how many things I’d remembered wrong, or just hadn’t remembered. I had it in my mind that Amelia’s father had gone to jail for his drunk driving offense, but he’d had a suspended sentence, and gone on to a good life where he married and had a child. I’d thought somehow her mother had died young, or left them to become a junkie, and that was why she was so troubled but I see no evidence of that at all. In fact, I don’t see that her mother is not still alive and with her father – she’s just not mentioned at all. I had thought that the one really far gone cadet – Jacques – had flunked out – instead, he graduated, and Beauvoir seemed to be mentoring him. I also thought that the cadets had solved the mystery of the map, but they took it as far as they could go, but Gamache is the one who realized that Antoine Turcotte had never existed and that a village widow, whose name was Valois, had taken the name to make maps. She had taken the village off the map only temporarily, because she couldn’t bear to see the words “Three Pines”. Her three boys, who had been killed in the war, each planted one (to replace the first ones that had died). She intended to come back, and put the name back on the maps, but couldn’t because she died. The map has to have been put “in the window” by the town’s people after she died so that if any of the boys had happened to survive, they’d find her grave, even if they came back after everyone who knew had died. Of course, no good reason was shown why they were so mysterious about it – the clues were really obscure. The last one, that led them to the grave, could only be seen for what it was, from the pulpit. Still, a lovely little mystery, full of magic.

Now this brings me to Mary’s question from a few pages back. What would LeDuc have done if someone had actually killed himself playing Russian Roulette? With the silencer, of course, nobody would know if they managed to get the body and all trace of the blood out of there. But that’s pretty hard to do, and I can’t believe some one of the other cadets wouldn’t have said something (except, of course, it’s possible that only the cadet and LeDuc were there – he sometimes did it with a group and sometimes with just one student). But the odds must be pretty high that if you did this regularly (let’s say weekly) for years, SOMEONE would die, or be hurt, if they were holding the gun not quite right and only managed to graze themselves. And I don’t see any way for LeDuc to have been sure that nobody would die – so… I am going to go out on a limb and say that one or two must have, and just “disappeared” in that community that before Gamache would have closed ranks to any outside interference.

Nor did I! Very interesting idea Julie

4. Julie, Good catch. Of course, I never thought of it, but yes, the odds are that it would have happened. The incident could have been portrayed as a “suicide”. The others would have helped move the body, etc. or the person could just disappear.

5. A few pages back I said I would try to find information on what the Surete thought of the books. Tried but no results.
    LP’s Facebook this AM was cute. She was off to speak to young school children about writing and hoped that she didn’t bore them. Not likely. Interacting with children was so much fun to me whether giving them walking tours, city tours, Museum tours , tours of the Harris House or speaking in the classroom.

6. Julie Buck says:

Barbara, I didn’t know you did so many different kinds of tours – I bet that was a wonderful job – a great way to meet people and stay “in touch”… all the while, regaling them with stories of your city! I’d love to do something like that (only no walking tours for me anymore – but still…).

7. Julie, you are so right. It was wonderful to be able to share the history of my city with people from other countries and to educate locals as well.
    No walking tours for me now either.

8. Louise has posted pictures and info about the Order of Canada she was awarded yesterday in Ottowa on Face Book.

Congratulations to her.

9. Julie Buck says:

Isn’t it wonderful that she is getting this recognition? It’s the highest honor for a Canadian, and very well deserved.

10. Oh so happy to read those wonderful words this morning on Louise’s Facebook page, “Editing, editing…third draft.”
    Sitting curled up by the bistro fire, drinking delicious coffee.

11. Julie Buck says:

Yes – love it! My coffee is here, too – French Vanilla, snuggled into a big chair by the fire in the Bistro – waving to Clara as she crosses the square.

12. Nancy says:

Did you see the picture of Bishop that Louise put up this morning? If not, please check it out. It’s priceless!

13. Oh, Nancy. How precious is that ! Sometimes my Pete sleeps on his back between Sam and me. Sometimes he sleeps on his side holding a barbell chew toy.
    I’m so glad Louise has Bishop.

Bishop is so cute!

I love the first of the month because it is newsletter day and today is no exception. Louise is so generous with her heart and spirit that I laugh and cry as though she was standing in the room telling me her stories. Congratulations on the award and the doctorate Louise. Michael is surely clapping with joy and urging you on to every new adventure.