I love listening to rain anytime but especially in bed at night. Do you many tin roofs here? At home a galvanised roof was very common but tile seems more common in the cities particularly. Rain on a tin roof is a delight. Drought makes rain very much appreciated.
    Thank you forvthe kind words Cathryne. HNY

2. Nancy says:

Happy New Year to one and all. Hugs to all of you in the Bistro and to Louise who inspires us with her writing and her caring.

3. A Happy and Blessed New Year to each of you. I didn’t see the new year in as Carol and I went to bed at 9:30. I remember the days of arriving home at 2:30 or 3:00AM on New years Day. Can’t do that now.
    The sound of rain on a tin roof is a very special sound to me. There was a time when most houses here had tin roofs as the house I grew up in did. This was the first house with a modern roof I lived in. One area of town that saw a lot of building in the 1920’s has many tile roofed houses. All stucco and in Spanish style. I can hear the rain through the vent hood over the range if I am in the kitchen/family room area.
    As always, LP’s newsletter is great. I hate the idea that Bishop will be lost this year. Our Petey is definitely the last pet. I can’t bear the thought of leaving one without us.
    Again, Happy New Year.

• vince bosso says:

Thanks for the reply. I now realize the Bistro exists&whereit exists, so here is my original query:
      “Thanks for the discussion. I like the Penny books so much.
      I have been going back over the AGR text to look for the connection between LeDuc and the outside partner, when he was desperate and made the error to communicate. Gamache later describes the key event to Charpentier and Brebeuf(maybe), but, prior to the murder chapter, I cannot find any indication of Leduc making contact, and such contact being known to Gamache.
      I am mostly surprised that I missed it! (but still loved the book!) Cheers.

4. Julie Buck says:

So nice to see everyone – Anna, that hot toddy sounds delicious, and I don’t even have a cold! Good old Gabri! So sweet and thoughtful. Barbara, I, too, hate the idea that Louise will lose Bishop soon, though I guess we should consider it a blessing that it wasn’t sooner, as the vets seemed to think it would be. I agree, the idea that a pet would be left suddenly alone and not understand what has happened would be so sad. But I also think it would be so nice to have a sweet little companion for the last years of life, too. So full of love and care without any kinds of judgment or differences of opinion… maybe I need a pet rock, hahaha.

Needing a pie plate is pretty basic, Anna – what kind will you get? I’ve been through the gamut this year and I’ll tell you that I’ve used my bottomless tart pan and my smaller springform pan much more than a regular pie dish, though I’ve made mostly things that are not apple pies, hahaha. I now use my glass pie dish almost exclusively, so I can see how my bottom crust is looking.

So lovely to see you all by the fire people! A magical place the Bistro..especially on a misty wet day such as we have here at the moment. What a good idea it was to go skiing yesterday when the skies were blue! We had a good time but my fitness levels need some work. Even all the walking we have been doing hasn’t quite prepared me for ski slopes but it was a start and a good start to the New Year.
    It is perfect pie weather today and so I must do something about a pie dish and a couple of proper knives….
    Just giggling here as Erin emerged from her bedroom with her doona…queen sized…complaining that the doona was in the cover the wrong way round. She complained in a comedic way to her father as it was he who was responsible, then proceeded to try and fix it. She eventually asked for help from mother with “How do normal people put the doona cover on without crawling inside? It’s a two man job! What if I end up living alone!!”
    I demonstrated an easy method while discussing the etiquette of asking friends round to help with household chores (but if you have to best to do it before becoming irretrivably entangled in the doona cover) and answering questions of why we don’t just use blankets. The good news is Erin is making her bed and cleaning her room.

I have a new metal nonstick pie dish Julie. Not glass. I have popped pie in the oven after overcoming a couple of challenges. I forgot a rolling pin and a pastry brush. Wine bottle works well and I improvised. Don’t know this oven so flying blind

7. Julie Buck says:

Haha – Anna, I had to go back and look up “doona” again – I had somehow gotten the word mixed up in my mind with the “snood” that you and Erin and her friend, I think, bought when you first arrived in Washington. In many ways, that is a product that seems more European to me – the idea of not having to have a top sheet, just a washable duvet cover, often made of two sheets. I had to laugh at the idea of it going on wrong and then inextricably tangling the sleeper up in the night. I used to do the duvet and cover thing when I was single (in the middle of my life), but dh hated the idea, and so now, we have three layers on the bed – top sheet, blanket, and bedspread. Vern manages to steal the blanket (the middle layer) only during the night – I swear he must have supernatural powers! I end up in the morning with the two light layers, but no blanket, and on these cold mornings, I dream about snow!

8. Julie Buck says:

Vince – welcome! Please don’t let us scare you off (we’re starting to get a complex here, because a small group of us have been here since the beginning and we keep on talking between books, on all . Sometimes, people wander in, ask one question and we never hear from them again. But you are very welcome here, and we’d love to discuss the latest book more.) AGR was fantastic, wasn’t it? I don’t recall LeDuc’s communicating with an outside partner now – it’s been awhile since I read the book, but some of the others here have their wits very much more about them, and will remember and help us figure it out. At this point, we’ve not talked about this book as much as the others, mostly because Michael’s death occurred right after we read the book, and it put a damper on the discussion somewhat. Now, it would be nice to get back to the book, even though my memory is a little dimmer about some of the details.

• Julie Buck says:

I meant to say “on all sorts of topics” and got distracted. Sorry about that.

• vince bosso says:

Thank you. Yes it complicated, and surely the loss of Louise’s husband would take precedence, especially in such a caring community, much like that of Three Pines! altho Ruth would probably call it a scaring community.

Hi Vince and welcome. Don’t mind the discussion of doonas and pie dishes. I have to go back and look as I have to refresh my memories. Any more details that you remember?
    Any other comments or questions about AGR? We did not discuss it as much as the others because of Michael dying but now is a good time to do so.

10. Hi, Vince. Good question, I think the reason you can’t remember when LeDuc contacted his partner earlier in the book is because it’s not there. Gamache figured out that LeDuc must have had a partner and put pressure on him so LeDuc would do something rash and he did. He contacted his partner. Gamache looked for someone who met the most likely description-has been out of the country/limelight for an appropriate time period, no obvious connection to LeDuc, has had access to Swiss or similar safe bank accounts, has had a helpful position of authority in Canada at the right time…And, someone appears in Gamache’s sights, someone who meets the criteria, raising G.’s suspicions.
    In what I think you are calling the murder chapter (perfect!), at 6601 on kindle, Gelinas says to Isabelle Lacoste, “When LeDuc contacted me to say that Gamache was here and investigating…

11. HI, Vince, con’d

…the contract fixing, he panicked. But so did I. I knew LeDuc wasn’t clever enough to outwit him. So I came back.”

Well, this is what I’m thinking, hope it makes sense.

• vince bosso says:

Thank you so much. I kept wondering if there was someone other than Gelinas, or that somehow Brebeuf had spun or twisted his way out of it.Very good! I also looked for “Roland”.

Well done Cathryne. I have been rereading up to the murder chapter. All I could find was Lacoste’s musings about the rumours of corruption to do with the building of the academy and a short allusion to LeDuc appropriating the land the town wanted.

13. Millie says:

Barbara, thanks for mentioning the newsletter. I’ve signed up for it countless number of times but I just don’t receive it. So I owe you a debt of gratitude every month. (What would I do without you?) Then, I run off to search for it in her website. She is so wise to remind us to remember the good moments of the past year no matter the challenges it brought. Truth be told, there were many of both.

14. Millie, my newsletter was put into “junk” the first few times it tried to come to me. Have you checked that in your mail?

• Millie says:

Thanks Cathryne, I do check the junk folder regularly. Gmail has been giving me nothing but headaches lately. It locks up the computer and my devices wanting me confirm my passcode but won’t accept it and hotmail puts everything in the junk folder. I want to make sure I update profiles where I’ve registered with gmail (like here), change to another email (though I’m running out of options) and stop using it. First world problems as my sons say.

15. Millie says:

Welcome Vince and thank you Cathryne. I had parts of it, but you hit the nail on the head, I believe. There are hints along the way starting in the previous book of the meetings Gamache has with prospective new employers and serious conversations but it’s all very subtle.
    I think I would like to re-listen to AGR also and pick up (or start) the discussion anew. For example, am I the only one who had no clue to where Brebouff had moved? Reine Mari knew!

But it’s late now, I think I’ll crawl under the crisp linens at the B&B tonight for tomorrow is another day to catch up.
    Bonne nuit. :-)

• Mary says:

Hi everyone, and I hope we all have a Happy 2017 — since you’re starting again on AGR thoughts, let me repeat my previous question from the AGR thread: what would Leduc and the students have done if someone had actually killed themselves playing Russian Roulette? Could he have possibly rigged it somehow that they never would have done it? But how could he do that, surely he put a bullet in in full view of the group. How could he have possibly explained something like that away? Thoughts?

• vince bosso says:

Yes, thank you. I noticed the subtlety, but thought it may be the author’s license to do so, rather than try to explain every detail, or leave openings for the future of the story.