Thanks for the link Julie. Loved the cartoon and the comment below!

2. Welcome to the USA, Anna and family! Don’t know if you are here yet or not and too worn out from shopping to figure the time and probability. Hope DC has her best face on.
    All the best to each of you.

(I can’t believe we are in the same time zone)

3. Julie Buck says:

Oh, that snuck up on me! I do hope you’re here, Anna, and the long flight is behind you, and you are comfy and happy in your new digs.

Heeelloooo everyone. Thank you for the warm welcome Barbara and Julie. It helps take the edge off the freezing cold, even though the sun is shining. Our removal arrives on Tuesday so it was off to the outlet malls for coats, sweaters and hats. Oh and warm boots. Everyone was so helpful and kind. A customer behind us in the queue gave us one of his discount vouchers so we saved another 20%.
    The flight was good but Pete was delayed and missed his connection. E and I ran for ours…well walked fast. All good. Will write more when I am less jetlagged but glad to be in the same country. Love to all!

Anna, welcome! So glad you are all here, safe and sound. I hope Washington D. C. looks especially beautiful with all the holiday decorations.
    You’ve been in my thoughts as you’ve said goodbye to family and friends and country. I hope that your dad is getting pleasure from imagining you on this wonderful adventure. And, knowing that you and your sister are closer together now!
    Luckily, you have the stability of the bistro to visit whenever you need a familiar retreat in the midst of new experiences. A cup of tea, a licorice pipe, muffins, a warm fire, and a duck or a lion dog or a weasel dog for undemanding company.
    Love and best thoughts. It sounds like you’ve made a great start already!

Upon rereading I realize that it sounds like Erin and I ran for the flight and left Peter behind. He was on a totally separate flight from Sydney to LA and was delayed in Sydney. So we’re we but only by an hour. For Pete is was several hours. Anyway we are all together now as I make lists for what we need to buy to get the apartment more homey. Some things boys don’t think about like laundry hampers…..

Yes, Anna, and hampers are important, visually as well as practically. This way you can choose. Is there a Container Store in the area? I Love Container Store.
    Barbara, I hope that in the midst of your Christmas shopping you’ve found some pretty, fun things for your new bathrooms.

Hi Cathryne. Thank you for the warm thoughts…most welcome as it is about 30 F and we just went to do the grocery shopping. Lucky I have a nice new sweater to stay warm. I could have worn my new coat but I only had to go from the car to the store. Enjoyed pottering around Whole Foods for some dinner items. Still need to get to somewhere for the hampers. I will look up Container Store!
    The Christmas lights I saw on the way from the airport were pretty but I think we need to go for a drive around and have a look. Too tired to do that on the way back from the Outlet mall yesterday.
    I think I will hang in the Bistro today and stay warm. Pete and the girls are going to the Smithsonian I think but I need a rest! I want Erin to explore and then take me when she knows the best bits.

9. Julie Buck says:

I missed something. What girls? Is there more than Erin? Have I been living under a rock? Who are you people and how did you get into my dreams, hahahaha. I’m so glad you’re here and warm and have the wherewithal to look for hampers. (I have to admit, that this would be very far down on my “to do” list, as I’m sure you need spatulas, a good frying pan, and the knowledge of where is the best bakery. (You can see where my thoughts go when I think of the “necessities” of life, hahaha. Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Hi Julie! Erin has a friend staying for a couple of weeks. Thought it would give her the confidence to explore a bit on her own this week. Pete is showing them the Metro system and I can cut them loose. They are at the Air and Space museum having lunch.
    You are so right and cookware is high on the list of must do shopping. Have William Sonoma nearby and online shopping options which I have been browsing. There is a nearby bakery which Pete found so our priority lists do coincide. Oh and a Container Store really close Cathryne. It is like Howards Storage World which we have back in Aust. Love storage!!
    So far so good!

The other thing I have is my signed copy of A Great Reckoning. Pete has been keeping it for me. So very cool. Thank you Louise

Oh and Peg…bought some cheese from Wisconsin!

13. Peg H. in Wisconsin USA says:

Yay for Wisconsin cheese! What kind? We make a LOT of different varieties here. Mozzarella is the most popular but most of it goes on pizzas of course.

Glad you all made it safe and sound, if not together.

14. Julie Buck says:

Ah – great idea, bringing Erin’s friend to help her acclimatize! I’m sure there’s so much to explore! DC is one of those places I really want to go but haven’t yet.

A parmesan cheese for my pasta Peg.
    William Sonoma was visited this morning and everything ooooed over. Having lunch then back to the Container Store. Shopping area is 10 min walk from home….that may not be a good thing!