Postcards from Three Pines: The Brutal Telling

The Brutal Telling Postcard
“Received great news today - Barnes and Noble has chosen THE BRUTAL TELLING for their Recommends Program!  Off to the Brome County Fair with Michael to research the next book. Onward!”
AN EXCERPT FROM THE BRUTAL TELLING

The Brume County Fair was more than a century old, bringing people in from all over the townships. Like most fairs it had started as a meeting place for farmers, to show their livestock, to sell their autumn produce, to make deals and see friends. There was judging in one barn and
displays of handicraft in another. Baking was for sale in the long aisles of open sheds and children lined up for licorice and maple syrup candy, popcorn and freshly made doughnuts.

It was the last celebration of summer, the bridge into autumn. Armand Gamache walked past the rides and hawkers, then consulted his watch. It was time. He made for a field to the side of the barns, where a crowd had gathered. For the Wellington Boot Toss.

Standing on the edge of the field he watched as kids and adults lined up. The young man in charge settled them down, gave them each an old rubber boot, and standing well back he raised his arm. And held it there. The tension was almost unbearable. Then like an ax he dropped it.

The line of people raised their arms in unison and shot them forward, and to whoops of encouragement from onlookers a storm of Wellington boots was released.

Gamache knew in that instant why he’d gotten such an unexpectedly
good spot at the side of the field. At least three boots shot his way.

Discussion on “Postcards from Three Pines: The Brutal Telling

1. Ruth Fiddes says:

My daughter is taking me to Sandwick for your book signing on the Cape

2. Donzelle says:

My winter reading project is to start your Three Pines series again Louise
    I have still life ready to go when the first snow flake drop ….let it snow I
    Will be ready with Armand and all the others and a big pot of tea cheers

3. Sharon Bouchard says:

I loved “The Brutal Telling”….and the follow-up book “Bury Your Dead”. These are two of my favorites…but I do love them all. —- Now that Fall has arrived I long to be in Quebec. I’ll bet the leaves are changing right now.

4. Nancy Wagner says:

I have loved each and every one of the Gamache books…I need to find my own Three Pines! Right now I am patiently waiting for book 14 to come out in November. Louise, please consider coming to Salt Lake City on your book tours, we have a wonderful independent bookstore here called The Kings English that would welcome the opportunity to have you….not to mention all your ardent fans!

5. Jade says:

Brutal Telling gave me so much new history. It launched me on my own mini research journey, learning about Haida Gwaii. Thank you for opening so many new doors….and I’m sure I speak for more than myself. Looking forward to your NYC visit!

6. Susan Linkhorn says:

Really enjoying the postcards….thanks, Louise. You have many many loyal fans on the West Coast, too!!

7. Gary Locke says:

Very excited to see you in Concord, NH on my birthday. What a present! Was a little too late for the “Meet and Greet”, sadly. Still, it will be a joy to see you, along with my wife and some other dear friends.

8. VANCE c GINTHER says:

Fun to reread this account. I had forgotten this pericope. Delightful. I look forward the post cards.

9. Denise says:

See you on the Cape! So looking forward to it – your books just keep getting better. I’ve started a good number of people on this series and every one of them loves it. <3

10. Betty Dolan says:

So glad you are coming to sandwich. Was in Nantucket alone, bringing 2friends this time!

11. Nora M Bruemmer says:

I have read all your books twice but every time one of your post cards come I want to read them yet again. This was such a good idea and I’m so enjoying each one. I wish you were coming back to Luther Burbank Center, in Santa Rosa. Ca…hardly Three Pines, not even close but thankfully, you’ve created it for us and all we have to do is pick up anyone of your books and we’re back….November is almost here and I can’t wait to get Kingdom Of The Blind in my hands.

12. Linda Beals says:

Love The Brutal Telling! My friends and I went to Maison Hovey for a lovely and delightful lunch on a balmy day in August. What a beautiful and serene place. We tried to imagine a murder happening there. You have quite an imagination. Keep writing!

13. Janice McCutchen says:

It would be wonderful for you to swing by Tulsa, OK. Your books are so interesting and they lead me to read more . I wish you would write that Bistro cookbook. All of the food sounds delicious. Thank you for such engrossing reading and escape!

14. Holly Kostuk says:

Have so enjoyed the series. I am now rereading to be ready for the new edition. Thank you so much for sharing the Inspector and all those living in Three Pines!

15. Ramsey Burton Doran says:

I recently found licorice pipes at a local store. It was a happy day. indeed, as I bought a few and pictured the Three Pines folks helping themselves as well.