Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE finds our dear Inspector in France so there’s no better place to kick off our “Gamache Goes Abroad” cover musings than en français!

And, wow, the current U.S. cover treatment of Still Life couldn’t be any different from how our French colleagues handled the look of the book. While we opted for a subtle nod to the title — the art genre that dates back to the Egyptians — the French took a more severe route, depicting a key plot point (no spoilers, please!). It’s noteworthy that both covers feature framed imagery which could symbolize a window, or, entryway, into the series.

What do you think?

Which cover do you gravitate towards?

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

1. Linda Pearson says:

My vote is for the French cover. The American one has too much text across the picture and, for me, is too “busy” because of that. Additionally, I am naturally drawn to strong colours which the French cover provides very nicely.

2. Vicki says:

I like the US version. It seems more subtle.

3. Louise C. says:

I prefer the French cover with no review on it.

4. linda Wright Smith says:

I prefer the American design. It is naturalistic yet goes from still life painting to still life as in dead.

5. Betty Gerow says:

Any cover that has the name Louise Penny would mean I would want it

6. SUSAN HURD says:

I like the French one because the image is beautiful and balanced, but I don’t care for the hole in the fawn’s head.

7. Linda Greenslade says:

The French cover is too red and an odd image, the other cover is much more subtle but neither hint at pictures I conjure in my mind when I think of Gamache and Three Pines

8. Lauren Labreche says:

I prefer the US version shown above but interestingly, I have a US hardcover with a very different cover – it is a scene of a tranquil town (looks like New England where I live). It is an older copy, was it changed later?

9. Denise says:

I would actually like them combined – I love the broken deer statue but the read “window” cover is to basic/single color looking for a cover – I would like the deer sitting on the darkened window sill instead of the vase.