Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE finds our dear Inspector in France so there’s no better place to kick off our “Gamache Goes Abroad” cover musings than en français!

And, wow, the current U.S. cover treatment of Still Life couldn’t be any different from how our French colleagues handled the look of the book. While we opted for a subtle nod to the title — the art genre that dates back to the Egyptians — the French took a more severe route, depicting a key plot point (no spoilers, please!). It’s noteworthy that both covers feature framed imagery which could symbolize a window, or, entryway, into the series.

What do you think?

Which cover do you gravitate towards?

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

1. Susie Stern says:

I like the US version. I read this book almost 2 years ago, so I don’t remember how the deer would be part of the plot as someone said that they prefer the French version because it refers to the plot.

2. The U.S. cover holds more appeal for me, and I find it more relatable to the title.

3. Esther Cooke says:

The American version
    Too much dwelling on damage and death of innocents for me in the French.
    Love this series because life and light always finds a way.

4. Carol Hutchinson says:

I definitely prefer the American version of the two covers. It leaves me feeling like there’s something beyond that window, beyond the peaceful little flower

5. Linda says:

The French version is more memorable – I have 2 North American versions, and can’t bring either to mind now that the pandemic has me confined far away. In the beginning, the French cover startled me (I’d read the English text months earlier and didn’t immediately see the relevance of the wounded animal), but in fact the French cover captures the multiple meanings of the title perfectly.

6. Lori says:

I find the print over the US cover image distracting, but at the same time the design seems more familiar and similar to covers I am familiar with in Canada. The French cover grabs my attention more.

7. Ellie Stock says:

I like the American version best.

8. Karen Larmon says:

I prefer the English version because the artwork it is calming and subtle. For some reason when I look at the French version, with the coloring and the wildlife, and I think I would be reading a book on the subject of Christmas.

9. Geri says:

While the French cover is illustrative of the literal translation of the title, the North American cover is less stark and actually very pretty. I vote for the American version.

10. Susi says:

The French version is more ‘mysterious’ and striking – I love it

11. Helen Voronin says:

I like the original version, US>

12. Susan Scappatura says:

US version

13. Jacqueline Hilary says:

I like that the French cover is cleaner and very intriguing!

14. Mary Edith Walker says:

I like both, but am rather drawn to the sweet-looking deer. My own copy of still like has a cracked window with a spider on it. Can’t see that in the online version…