Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE finds our dear Inspector in France so there’s no better place to kick off our “Gamache Goes Abroad” cover musings than en français!

And, wow, the current U.S. cover treatment of Still Life couldn’t be any different from how our French colleagues handled the look of the book. While we opted for a subtle nod to the title — the art genre that dates back to the Egyptians — the French took a more severe route, depicting a key plot point (no spoilers, please!). It’s noteworthy that both covers feature framed imagery which could symbolize a window, or, entryway, into the series.

What do you think?

Which cover do you gravitate towards?

Discussion on “Gamache Goes Abroad – Still Life

1. Ramsey says:

I prefer the English cover for its more muted style and I find it more in keeping with the subtlety of the book. The French version has a bit too much of a “Bambi” implication for me.

2. Anne Marie says:

I am drawn to the US art work… All the wonderful covers were intriguing and subtly calling you to open and start the journey.

3. Nancy Irvine says:

I find the original version much more tasteful and in keeping with the elegant style of writing.

4. Juanita Giesbrecht says:

I am drawn to the U.S. version. Imagining a creature as beautiful and gentle as a fawn as the cover of a murder mystery as in the French version is a bit too macabre for me.

5. Susan says:

I too like the U.S. cover best.

6. ELAINE MCCOY says:

I prefer the North American version for its: balance, colour, intrigue.

7. ELAINE MCCOY says:

I prefer the North American version for its: balance, colour, intrigue. The Gaelic version feels a little claustrophobic to me.

8. Milli Greene says:

The American cover. But I bet if the French cover was put on ours when book came out we would have liked that one lol

9. Liz McCallum says:

I like the original version

10. Susan Enlow says:

I definitely prefer the American version. It speaks to me as an artistic version of the title while the French cover seems too “strong” and penetrating. I love interesting book covers and tend to study them often while reading a book. I think they are fascinating.

11. Pam Metzger says:

Not one to like change… I have to stick with the U.S. cover. Gently brings us into the series. ‘Course! Then the darn vase shatters!!!

12. PRussell says:

The American version seems less confrontational, but perhaps because the red color is so stark. The French is intriguing but the American version is much more attractive, I think.

13. Carole-Ann Larose says:

I’m not sure why or where everyone is coming from when they vote for the “US” version.
    She’s Canadian you know.
    If doesn’t offend her, it sure offends me. The gall to assume that if it’s in English, it’s surely American.
    I’m Canadian.
    Just because of the audacity shown here, I’ll vite pour la langue Français.
    We spoke both French and English where I come from and we’re damned proud of it.

14. Heather Walkerden says:

I prefer the blue cover (Or English version)

15. Ann Mitchell says:

Is there a Canadian version?