Apple and Avocado Salsa with Honey-Lime Dressing

Their dinner guests had already arrived and were sipping drinks and eating apple and avocado salsa by the time Armand returned . . . .

“I saw the Lepage boy come flying out of the woods again,” said Ruth. “What was it this time? Zombies?”

“Actually, I believe he disturbed a nest of poets,” said Armand, taking the bottle of red wine around and refilling glasses, before helping himself to some of the salsa with honey-lime dressing. “Terrified him.”

—The Nature of the Beast

Apple and Avocado Salsa

Makes 1½ cups salsa; about 8 servings

Choose a slightly firmer (but still ripe) avocado than you would for guacamole and a naturally soft red apple such as a McIntosh. The quantities below may be easily doubled to serve a larger crowd.

• Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
  • 1 teaspoon light honey
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 small Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into ½-inch (1-cm) dice
  • Half a red apple, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch (1-cm) dice
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
  • Chips of choice

Put the lime zest and juice into a bowl. Whisk in the honey, salt, and pepper. Fold in the avocado and apple until coated with the dressing. Add the cilantro, if using. Taste and add a little pinch more of salt and pepper, if needed. Spoon the salsa onto the chips. The salsa is best eaten when freshly made, but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a few hours. If refrigerating, gently press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the top of the salsa, then cover the container. Bring the salsa to room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.

Print This Recipe

Discussion on “Apple and Avocado Salsa with Honey-Lime Dressing

1. Louise Burton says:

I too could not print the recipe booklet. If possible could you please send me the info to try and print. Thank you.

2. Edie Torbay says:

I have to say that I wish Louise and Minotaur would do a whole cookbook of the Gamache et al recipes. There are enough references to this yummy food to fill such a book and I would love to buy one. Hint hint!

3. Angela Zeman says:

This cookbook is truly five star and mouth watering. I love the added recipes, too! Especially with the excerpts from the books’ stories! However, Minotaur: Will you ever print it in hardcover in the glowing color of online? I want to give it to friends and relatives, some of whom will never go online for anything, and some who don’t read mysteries. (Although after examining the cookbook I’m hoping they’ll give Gamache a try!)

4. Maria Eberle says:

Thank you for these recipes! What an added bonus. I have just started reading the Inspector Gamache books and am addicted. Louise, your ability to paint a picture with words is remarkable – thank you. Your stories are intriguing and heartfelt – on so many levels. Keeping you and Michael in my prayers. I, too, am touched by your devotion to him.

Maria

5. Charlotte says:

In A Rule Against Murder, Peter’s father gave Marianna a note saying: You can’t get milk from a hardware store That phrase came up in the Fleming play in The Nature of The Beast.
    Is that a common saying?
    Or is it significant it pops up again?

6. Gay Gray says:

Will be enjoying an afternoon ‘In Three Pines’ at the Stirling Public Library, complete with food tasting recipes, trivia and and Three Pines fun for everyone in conjunction with the latest release of ‘Kingdom of the Blind’.

7. Beulah Schwartzentruber says:

I made this a couple times, & will make again today.. every time I added some different items..cucumber red onion olives tomato..added some good olive oil more lime juice.
    I like the avocado apple combination!
    Love the recipes

8. Dona Driver-Cahn says:

How does one get a compilation of the recipes? I see a “booklet” referred to….

Many thanks!