Postcards from Three Pines: Still Life

Still Life Postcard
“Here in Quebec. Finally started writing. I think I’ll call it STILL LIFE. What do you think? Struggling a bit with fear but inspired by the fall colours. ”
AN EXCERPT FROM STILL LIFE

Three Pines wasn’t on any tourist map, being too far off any main or even secondary road. Like Narnia, it was generally found unexpectedly and with a degree of surprise that such an elderly village should have been hiding in this valley all along. Anyone fortunate enough to find it once usually found their way back. And Thanksgiving, in early October, was the perfect time. The weather was usually crisp and clear, the summer scents of old garden roses and phlox were replaced by musky autumn leaves, woodsmoke and roast turkey.

Three huge pine trees faced [Gamache] at the far end of the green. Between him and them was a pond, a bunch of sweater-clad children circling it, hunting for frogs, he supposed. The village green sat, not surprisingly, in the center of the village, a road called The Commons circling it with homes, except behind him, which seemed to be the commercial district. It was a very short commercial. It consisted, as far as Gamache could see, of a depanneur whose Pepsi sign read ‘Beliveau’. Beside that was a boulangerie, the Bistro and a bookstore. Four roads led off The Commons, like the spokes of a wheel, or the directions of a compass.

As he sat quietly and let the village happen around him he was impressed by how beautiful it was, these old homes facing the green, with their mature perennial gardens and trees. By how natural everything looked, undesigned. And the pall of grief that settled on this little community was worn with dignity and sadness and a certain familiarity. This village was old, and you don’t get to be old without knowing grief. And loss.

Discussion on “Postcards from Three Pines: Still Life

1. Carole Desmarteau says:

The descriptions of Three Pines in your books made me want to visit this lovely town, which I did. Now when I read your stories, I’m transported back there and feel like your characters really do exist. Thank you for sharing this postcard. Great idea!

2. Sharon Westafer says:

What a beautiful postcard. Would love to use the picture as a desk top screen saver!

3. Peggy Grosrenaud says:

These postcards are a most special and thoughtful gift for all the people who want to live in Three Pines and a pleasant surprise for “travelers” nearing the village. ❤️

4. Alma Shanley says:

From the first I have loved this place and these people. I have loved Gamache. I have loved your heart and hand Louise. Thank you❤️

5. Peter Kimmerlin says:

The idea that such a place exists has helped me to imagine a better world. I would love to live there.

6. Shawn Fyksen says:

I have been enthralled by Three Pines from the moment I first read Still Life, so much so that a friend and I will be visiting the area this fall, to spend some time getting lost in those eastern Provinces. The world you’ve created drew me in like no other I’ve read (in accessible memory, LOL). Your references to Canada’s art, literature and music are inspiring, (enough to search the Internet for YOUR inspirations), and the wisdom gleaned from the characters always strikes a chord in me. Of course, you’ve forever changed my mindset whenever someone inquires after my well-being, and I respond “I’m FINE!”

7. Peggy B says:

I’m retiring this week and would love to find a 3 Pines to move to, like the Gamaches did.

8. Iris Accettola says:

I started reading book 8, A Beautiful Mystery, before I knew it was a series. So, naturally, I had to get all the previous books and read them in order. What a fascinating series! The characters and Three Pines are so well described that it makes me want to live there and become friends with all of them, even Ruth. Thank you, Louise, and journey on!

9. Joan DiMaria says:

Louise, you are a gift to readers everywhere. When people ask me for recommendations of books or authors, you always make that list. Thank you for these postcards,too—I look forward to each one!

10. Libby Sims says:

Wonderful! I’m going to start the series all over again.

11. Debra says:

Lovely. Wish I could go there

12. Joanne Morris says:

Love the idea of the postcards! Thank you, Louise. That beautiful description of Theee Pines drew me in and never let go.

13. Deborah Kaye says:

I re-read all the books this summer, to be ready for Kingdom of the Blind, but I may have to re-read Glass houses again–or the whole series! I love the postcard. It is as peaceful as I imagine Three Pines to be when there is not a murder happening. I love this place as much as Narnia and Middle Earth, and for me, that is saying a lot!

14. Cheryl says:

Great idea! It has become a vicarious vacation spot for me, through your writing!

15. Sandra Fly says:

I am enjoying re-reading the series as I patiently wait for Kingdom of the Blind. Thank you for hours upon hours of reading enjoyment.