Postcards from Three Pines: Still Life

Still Life Postcard
“Here in Quebec. Finally started writing. I think I’ll call it STILL LIFE. What do you think? Struggling a bit with fear but inspired by the fall colours. ”
AN EXCERPT FROM STILL LIFE

Three Pines wasn’t on any tourist map, being too far off any main or even secondary road. Like Narnia, it was generally found unexpectedly and with a degree of surprise that such an elderly village should have been hiding in this valley all along. Anyone fortunate enough to find it once usually found their way back. And Thanksgiving, in early October, was the perfect time. The weather was usually crisp and clear, the summer scents of old garden roses and phlox were replaced by musky autumn leaves, woodsmoke and roast turkey.

Three huge pine trees faced [Gamache] at the far end of the green. Between him and them was a pond, a bunch of sweater-clad children circling it, hunting for frogs, he supposed. The village green sat, not surprisingly, in the center of the village, a road called The Commons circling it with homes, except behind him, which seemed to be the commercial district. It was a very short commercial. It consisted, as far as Gamache could see, of a depanneur whose Pepsi sign read ‘Beliveau’. Beside that was a boulangerie, the Bistro and a bookstore. Four roads led off The Commons, like the spokes of a wheel, or the directions of a compass.

As he sat quietly and let the village happen around him he was impressed by how beautiful it was, these old homes facing the green, with their mature perennial gardens and trees. By how natural everything looked, undesigned. And the pall of grief that settled on this little community was worn with dignity and sadness and a certain familiarity. This village was old, and you don’t get to be old without knowing grief. And loss.

Discussion on “Postcards from Three Pines: Still Life

1. Sandy Zaro says:

Wow – I can’t believe it’s been 13 years and every new book is better than the last one.
    Thank you Louise for being such a wonderful story-teller – I can’t wait until the new book comes out. Keep Writing and all of us will Keep Reading!

2. Donnie Peters says:

Louise. I was positive when I opened Still Life and it caught me right away
    Knew this was a book series I would just love reading so thanks for this new event postcards of your novels ❤️❤️

3. Carole Brow says:

The last time I was in Quebec I spent a day wandering around the Eastern Townships looking for anyplace similar to the fictional Three Pines. Saw lots of pretty places, but not that magical place.

4. Rebekah Link says:

I long to live in Three Pines!

5. Stephanie Saxon Levine says:

Reading this wonderful series is like moving to Three Pines. Sometimes, when sleep is slow in coming, I imagine I’m sitting on the bench, next to Gamache, reading one of the books!
    Thank you so much for the postcards. I’m looking forward to reading them all, and I cannot wait for Kingdom of the Blind!

6. Barbara May says:

Louise, your books are epics. I have the full set and will never part with them. You take us to a place that shows both the ugliness of life and its beauty. So many lessons learned through Chief Inspector Gamache and the families of Three Pines! Your gift of opening this world is beautiful. You are very special! Good luck in your continued writings and I await with bated breathe for your next novel.

7. Paula B says:

Thank you for the little slice of heaven called Three Pines!

8. pat cipolla says:

Love Gamache
    Love Three Pines
    Even love Ruth and Rosa

9. Janice Ashby says:

Such a wonderful book and setting. Description makes one feel right there with the colors, sounds, and scents.

10. Denise Blakemore says:

I love your books and I love Three Pines and the characters. Whenever I start one of the books I feel as if I’m going home. I live in the UK and my husband has promised me a trip to Montreal and maybe a Gamache tour. So excited!

11. Annette Therese says:

Louise, what a gift you give us with each beautiful book! No other series has captured my heart like these wonderful Three Pines books. Thank you for giving us this peaceful village and all the friends who make me feel welcomed with each book. Can hardly wait until November to return to Three Pines.

12. marie suzanne lawrence says:

When I read your books, I’m there! So, thank you, thank you.

13. Would love to live in a village like Three Pines.

14. Carol says:

So beautifully described! Every single book has been such a great read I can hardly out them down. The place called Three Pines jumps out at you and you feel you could live there forever. The characters are so well done, they make you feel like you are a part in it all. These are some of the best books I have ever read. I have loved reading every story and eagerly look forward to the next book coming out!

15. Barbara Murphy-Sanders says:

I love the books. So happy to have found this spring. Have to read them again