Postcards from Three Pines: A Rule Against Murder

A Rule Against Murder
“Wow. The Gamache books are beginning to catch. Doing interviews and photo shoots. Michael, as you can see, is incredibly supportive. We both send love.”
AN EXCERPT FROM A RULE AGAINST MURDER

Honoré Gamache. Somehow the void had coughed him up as well. And his son.

“It was just before the war. We all knew Hitler had to be stopped. Canada would join with Britain, that was a given. But then this Gamache started giving speeches against the war. He said Canada should stay out of it. Said no good ever came of violence. He was very articulate. Educated.”

She sounded surprised, as though a beluga had graduated from Laval University.

“Dangerous.” She appealed to her husband. “Am I wrong?”

“He believed what he was saying,” said Mr. Finney.

“That only makes him more dangerous. He convinced a lot of others. Soon there were protests in the streets against going to war.”

“What happened?” asked Sandra. She looked up. The ceiling was smooth. Swept clean by the Manoir staff without comment. Not a cookie left. Sandra couldn’t help but feel sad for Bean and all that work. But Bean didn’t seem bothered. In fact, Bean was riveted to the story.

“Canada delayed entering the war.”

“Only by a week,” said Finney.

“Long enough. It was humiliating. Britain in there, Germany brutalizing Europe. It was wrong.”

“It was wrong,” agreed Finney sadly.

“It was that Gamache’s fault. And even when war was declared he convinced a lot of Quebecers to be conscientious objectors. Conscientious.”

She loaded the word with loathing. “There was no conscience involved, only cowardice.”

Her voice lifted, turning the sentence into a weapon and the last word a bayonet. And across the room, the human target.

“He went to Europe himself,” said Finney.

“With the Red Cross. Never in the front lines. He never risked his own life.”

“There were a lot of heroes in the ambulance corps,” said Finney.

“Brave men.”
“But not Honoré Gamache,” said Irene Finney.

Clara waited for Finney to contradict her. She looked over at Peter, some jam on his ill- shaven cheek, eyes down. Thomas and Sandra and Marianna, eyes aglow. Like hyenas falling on prey. And Bean? The child sat on the tiny chair, feet planted firmly, gripping Myths Every Child Should Know.

Clara stood up, taking the tablecloth with her. Peter looked embarrassed. Causing a scene was so much worse than causing pain. Her hands trembled as she grabbed at the cloth and jerked it free. Her eyes were watering, with rage. But she could see the satisfaction in Mrs. Morrow’s
Eyes.

As Clara stumbled from the room, past Gamache himself, and out of the squeaking screen doors, the words followed her into the wilderness.

“Honoré Gamache was a coward.”

Discussion on “Postcards from Three Pines: A Rule Against Murder

1. Susan D says:

Let me guess… Louise with three of her biggest fans?

2. Dolores Fernandez says:

Michael is definitely how I pictured Gamache! He was such a handsome man! Love this photo of the two of you.

3. Diane says:

Please please publish the postcards!! Love the idea suggested as bookmarks!

4. Judy Reynolds says:

I love the postcards. They’re like photos that we would have taken had we been there. As always, I am anxious for the upcoming book. I do wish you could tour out west a bit. It was fun to meet you in Seattle a while back, but I’d love to meet again.

5. Pat knott says:

New to this series but now can not pit them down. I just keep reading and reading. I use to shate mysteries with my mother in law but she recently passed. She would have loved them so i keep her in my heart while i read them to share

6. kathy titmas says:

Thanks so much for sharing this great photo!

7. Dr. Elizabeth Gammon says:

I loved this book. It was before Gamache began to save the world.

8. Christine Lacasse says:

Your books help me get though tough times. I have Lupus and the many illnesses that come with it. And listening to you books take me away to another place where pain and fatigue don’t exist.
    And also being a French Canadian living in Florida, you bring me home.

9. Susan Brady says:

Love that snap! And also the post cards with excerpts. Quite a nice lead up to the launch of the new book. Please add a reading in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St Paul! You have many friends here!

10. Jill Leaman says:

Working thru the series. Haven’t read it yet. On Cruelest Month

11. Diane Drake says:

Because I was introduced to the Louise Penny novels out of order , I will now go back and reread them IN order .
    I have thoroughly enjoyed each one ( even though when read out-of-order you are privy to facts that you should not know ) and look forward to the newest book . I am , however , number 378 on the list of holds in the Toronto system …..a testimonial to just how many people are ‘ hooked on Gamache ‘ !!

12. Janis Garwood says:

I have read all of Louise Penny’s books. I’m so looking forward to her new book “Kingdom of the Blind”. Each book is like going home for a visit with family…the family you choose.

13. Anne-Marie says:

I have read and cherished each and every book of Inspecteur Gamache. I met you in a little bistro in Caledon transformed for the day to the Three Pines bistro (minus Gabi of course) – you were warm, kind, funny, adorable. Each book has been devoured from cover to cover and re-read at a slower pace to savour each turn of phrase, each picture painted with words, each turn and twist. I have loved each page, I have cried and laugh out loud and I thank you for the joy, the beauty and treasures you have brought into my life because of your talent and dedication. Thank you Louise for your hard work!

14. Penny Bews says:

As always, delightful! The picture is wonderful. I eagerly await each new book, to again be in Three Pines with friends! Rereading the series is like a stroll down memory lane. Thank you for the gift of these books, and the postcards to bring them back to mind. Bravo for all your successes. They are so well deserved.

15. Jim Katz says:

If I was Louise Penny, I am not sure I would feel comfortable with all these folks telling of their introduction to the series through their parents! Louise is not that old, and the books appeal all around. On the other hand, I am introducing my grandchildren to them!