Postcards from Three Pines: A Fatal Grace

A Fatal Grace Postcard
“Nice and warm in the house, but bitter cold outside, Merde! Now I have to write a second one. Setting it at Christmas. Pond freezing over- love to go out and skate but typing away by the fire. Actually really nice.”
AN EXCERPT FROM A FATAL GRACE

As people arrived food was taken to the familiar kitchen and too many casseroles and pies were stuffed into the oven. Bowls overflowing with candied ginger and chocolate-covered cherries and sugar-encrusted fruit sat on the sideboard beside puddings and cakes and cookies. Little Rose Lévesque stared up at the bûche de Noël, the traditional Christmas log, made of rich cake and coated with the thickest of icing, her tiny, chubby fingers curling over the tablecloth embroidered with Santa Claus and reindeer and Christmas trees. In the living room Ruth and Peter made drinks, Ruth pouring her Scotch into what Peter knew to be a vase.

The lights on the tree glowed and the Vachon children sat beside it reading the tags on the mountain of brightly wrapped presents, looking for theirs. The fire was lit, as were a few of the guests. In the dining room the gate-legged table was open full and groaning with casseroles and tortières, homemade molasses-baked beans and maple-cured ham. A turkey sat at the head of the table like a Victorian gentleman. The center of the table was saved every year for one of Myrna’s rich and vibrant flower arrangements. This year splays of Scotch pine surrounded a magnificent red amaryllis. Nestled into the pine forest was a music box softly
playing the Huron Christmas Carol and resting on a bed of mandarin oranges, cranberries and chocolates.

Olivier carried the whole poached salmon to the table. A punchwas made for the children, who, unsupervised, stuffed themselves with candy. Thus did Émilie Longpré hold her réveillon, the party that spanned Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, an old Québecois tradition, just as her mother and grandmère had done in this very same home on this very same night. Spotting Em turning in circles Clara wound her arm round the tiny waist.

Discussion on “Postcards from Three Pines: A Fatal Grace

1. Andrew Brown says:

Dear Three Pines,
    This postcard reminded me of the popup books of my childhood brightly colored pictures were we would turn each page to see some image pop out in a 3-d image. Sharing memories is as close as we come to offering window into our lives. One of my favorite Christmas is going over to my relatives house. As we came into their grand living room we were told to sit on living room floor that was polished to a golden light added by the festive Christmas Tree in the corner and a glowing fire. We sat down and waited excitedly for whatever would come. My grandmother open the kitchen swinging door and out run a puppy with a great big red ribbon bow. A miniature appricote poodle greeted each of us kids with kisses and wags. We named her Thumbelina after one of our favorite children’s story.

2. Nancy Batchelar says:

Louise. Such a treat to find one of your postcards!
    Thank you for the wonderful gift this morning

3. Carol Pysch says:

Love these postcards! Your writing wraps around me like a comforting cloak. I am anxiously waiting for the new book in November.

4. Cheryl says:

You can just feel the love at your reviellon! All the careful planning to create a joyful scene! Thanks!

5. Laura Chistruga-Schneider says:

Your talent to bring people and places, atmospheres and feelings to life is extraordinary!
    I will look forward to your next postcard!

6. Robin Watson says:

Just lovely. When you write about three Pines I always feel like I’ve gone back home, the home I would love to be a part of. Once again thank you for sharing the postcards

7. Jill says:

I just finished this one. Couldn’t put it down. The ladies had me guessing right to the end. Thank you.

8. Janice F Ashby says:

Feels like going home with the warmth of Christmas and all it entails.

9. Judy Bickel says:

This is a lovely way to revisit a book that I read several years ago. It only take a short vignette to transport me back. Such a gift. Thank you!

10. Kit says:

After last weeks postcard, I re-listened to Still Life, now maybe I have to re-listen to this one! It’s so hard waiting for the next book!

11. Laurel Hodgins says:

Well, I haven’t had breakfast yet, now I am starving. I appreciate your descriptive passages, they help to paint the whole story.

12. Dianne Rader says:

Three pines may be fictional here on earth, but is the place I hope to find in Heaven – your books take me there for a little while.

13. Mary Gregory says:

Just finished it for the second time. Winderful descriptions if settings and characters. Always hate to leave Three Pines.

14. Maureen says:

Love the postcards. Reminds me to reread the series from start to finish. My favorite books bar none. Thank you Louise for many happy hours.

15. Kathy Hanson says:

I am 3/4 of the way through my reread of Fatal Grace and I had to pull a blanket over as the descriptions made me so cold! I am loving looking back but knowing some portents of stories to come. I will be ready in November for the next book!